PEPOLE LIKE YOU THAT RUIN THIS SPORT". This website is for the purpose

of hiding and hunting caches, not revealing facts that others, possibly

children do not need (or don't care) to hear. Get some help, It is not

too late! Name witheld.

To reply to this user, visit the web page below or use 'billycavalry'

for the username and email them through your "my cache page." (You'll

need to be logged in)

http://www.geocaching.com/email/default.asp?U=billycavalry

That's the full email. He or she didn't say which geocaching log they were offended by. I get these emails all the time, but this is the first time that they weren't specific about what offended them. I just think it's kinda funny.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

That's the full email. He or she didn't say which geocaching log they were offended by. I get these emails all the time, but this is the first time that they weren't specific about what offended them. I just think it's kinda funny.

From someone 3000 miles away who LOVES to read your logs, Keep 'em coming!

I really wouldnt worry too much about "pepole" with only 4 finds since Nov. 2001 trying to ruin this sport for the rest of us by censoring your logs, anyway.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

The average Howard Stern fan listens to his show 45 minutes a day. Why? To see what he'll say next. The average Howard Stern hater listens to his show 2.5 hours a day. Why? To see what he'll say next. Wrap yourself in a cocoon Billy and make sure to keep out anyone who does not look, think, believe, talk, or act like you. That way you will learn nothing about everything. Or is it everything about nothing. And make sure to keep that Valium prescription up to date because your due to be upset most of the time.

Hey Tommy, I mean Billy Boy, way to go on that D+

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:
I really wouldnt worry too much about "pepole" with only 4 finds since Nov. 2001 trying to ruin this sport for the rest of us by censoring your logs, anyway.

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

And one of those finds he logged twice.... icon_confused.gif

Bob G.

Where are we going?......And WHY am I in this handbasket???

Poor Billy, His Friday nights are probably filled with Seinfeld re-runs and Diet Dr. Pepper. Sounds like a case of envy to me. The only person on here that has any legitimate gripe with your logs would be Jeremy. And that's only because your eating up all his server space. icon_biggrin.gif

"If I knew how thirsty I was going to be this morning, I would have drank more last night."

A couple of quick points:

I don’t get the sense that “logs” are the issue, maybe post on the forum?

There have been times that you (and others) have made statements (in the forums) that have either offended me directly or made me wonder if others might be offended. Here’s how I reconciled it in my mind:

If it is detrimental to geocaching TPTB would put a stop to it in short order. That hasn’t happened, so it isn’t detrimental to geocaching.

As far as me being offended, I’m an old-fart, 80% of everything said by anyone under 40 offends me, but I like to think that I have the grace (and tolerance) to allow them their opinions, jargon, and life-style. Old-farts (like me) were young once too, and the old-farts of my era were grossly intolerant of new ways, thoughts, music, and life-styles. I promised myself that when I got old, I would be different. I am challenged everyday to be true to that promise.

So, billycavalry, lighten up. If you’re old, remember what it was like when you were young. If you’re young, you’re going to have a “hard row to hoe” the remainder of your life. Learn to respect others for what they ARE, not what you WANT THEM TO BE.

Oregone, when you offend someone, I mean TRULY offend someone, apologize. Apologize from the heart and then strike them from your Christmas card list (boy I hope I don’t offend anyone, but I can’t spell Quanza or Chanukah, or whatever), boot them from your inner circle, and/or move them to the outside of the herd (so the wolves will get them).

Everybody else, PARTY ON.

Just some thoughts from the mind of an alien.

Unknown objects are operating under intelligent control... It is imperative that we learn where UFO's come from and what their purpose is... - -Admiral Roscoe H. Hillenkoetter Director, Central Intelligence Agency 1947-1950

Leatherman wrote:

quote:
I'm sure the log with the fit of Orgasmic laughter made a few Virgin Christians blush.

I think it's more likely the image of oregone's butt cheeks planted in Yaquina Bay that put Billy over the top. Some disturbing imagery for sure but come on Billy, it's PG-13 at best!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited to fit your TV screen.

quote:

I just wanted to share this with y'all:

Well, you sure taught him a lesson. Of course, the lesson you were probably trying to teach him was that he's a narrow minded oversensitive prig, and thus a suitable target for public humiliation, and the lesson you actually taught him (and the rest of us) is that you are the sort of person who would happily seek to humiliate someone by posting private email in a public forum - something most people consider pretty rude.

Wow! It seems you have met with success unexpected in common hours!

Most of us have learned the difference between being witty and doing something rude, obnoxious, and vulgar to see if you can provoke someone, anyone into laughing at you.

Maybe it's time for you to see if you have the intelligence and talent you need to graduate to being witty.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Kodak's4 wrote:

quote:
Of course, the lesson you were probably trying to teach him was that he's a narrow minded oversensitive prig...

Or maybe he just thought it was funny, which it is. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

This message has been edited to fit your TV screen.

quote:
Originally posted by sparklehorse:

Or maybe he just thought it was funny, which it is. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

There's only one reason to include the guy's geocaching name in the posted email - to publicly humiliate him.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes a post that seems to be intended solely to humiliate someone is just a post intended to humiliate someone.

I understand that you think publicly humiliating people is funny. I'm sorry, I disagree. I think it's pretty sick. I have a pretty well developed sense of humor; but this isn't some sophisticated form of humor, here, this is infantile bullying.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Whoa kodak, you're totally harshing my buzz here, man.

I get emails from friendly cachers all over the PacNW a lot asking me to edit or delete my sometimes risque posts from caches. These emails are usually reasonable and concise--offering specific details as to what should be edited. And these cachers are usually correct, because i know that my logs are sometimes a little off-topic and over the top for this family-oriented hobby. Therefore, the logs get deleted or edited.

My policy (usually) is to never post private emails on the forums. You're right: it's pretty rude, and i've called others on it before. But the reason i decided to post this latest one is because i thought it was genuinely funny. Reading it over again, i'm STILL of the opinion that it was written to make me (and now, all of us) laugh.

Now c'mon. This isn't the general forums, kodak. We're all friends. You're making me feel like i just placed a lame virtual or something. Some of that stuff you're saying truly hurts me--all that bold font and no emoticons makes oregone a sad, unwitty boy. (emoticon)

What say we save it for the next seattle-area get-together over a few oly stubbies and a burger. I never meant for anyone to get offended. That is, i never meant for anyone to get offended in the way that they currently are, um, offended. Yeah.

Thanks for finally giving my sig line some merit.

quote:
Originally posted by Sluggo:

Learn to respect others for what they ARE, not what you WANT THEM TO BE.

Now if only people would respect Christians for what they are and not what they'd like them to be...

Oregone, I don't read your logs simply because I choose not to. I am encouraged by your post in this thread that you have, in fact, edited your posts in the past for various reasons. It was nice to meet you in Bremerton.

Concerning other posts in this thread, this is a public forum and not a private chat room, and yes, since many of us know each other, it is a bit more familiar in tone. It would be good to consider that there are those of us who don't use expletives and would prefer not to read them in the forums. If this group was in person (the whole group, not just part), I would hope that people would use some restraint.

Now some are going to call me a "narrow-minded prig" I suppose, but it's funny how "being tolerant" never seems to apply to being tolerant of Christians and others with value systems different than your own. Instead, Christians are made fun of and called names.

OK, I'm done, I'll get off the soapbox now. But maybe someone out there has heard what I have to say, anyway.

LindaLu

I think the main thing is that you recognize that we all have different views on these things. I appreciate that you don't mind a pagan like Oregone posting his off topic dating procedures in logs.

I have spent time as an Oregone stalker but with the help of family and friends I have kicked the dark habit. Yes I can proudly say I no longer click on his profile daily hoping against hope that he has logged a new cache which I would promptly click on and read about his life. It was time to get a life of my own darn (darn for you LindaLu) it!!!

Now I wish I hadn't crazy glued his photos to my walls.

I hear voices.....and they don't like you!

quote:

My policy (usually) is to never post private emails on the forums. You're right: it's pretty rude, and i've called others on it before. But the reason i decided to post this latest one is because i thought it was genuinely funny. Reading it over again, i'm STILL of the opinion that it was written to make me (and now, all of us) laugh.

You seem to be saying it's bad to be rude, but it's just fine to be rude when Oregone thinks it's genuinely funny. I'm sorry, that's an argument I don't follow.

I'm curious. Did you think it was genuinely funny, but that it wouldn't be funny if you trimmed the person's name from the email before posting it? Since you left the name and email link in the email, it sure looks like you got the email, and you figured "Hey, I can probably humiliate this guy by just posting this in the NW forum, where all my goofy friends will all get a chance to make posts saying 'yuck, yuck, yuck, another narrow-minded prig'. And wouldn't that be fun? These people with moral standards, they're such easy targets, and they hardly ever shoot back!"

quote:

Now c'mon. This isn't the general forums, kodak. We're all friends.

Are you saying that you're friends with the person who sent you the email? That's not the impression I got. I don't see that person wading into this discussion to correct my impression, either.

Maybe what you meant was "All of us who think this sort of post is funny are friends, and since we actively ridicule everyone else and drive them out of the forum, the ones who are still here are all friends."

I don't find your logs offensive, I just find them boring. Go ahead and post whatever logs you like - until someone holds a gun to my head and forces me to read them, I don't see much harm in them.

But publicly posting a private email just to get a laugh by humiliating someone you disagree with - I think that's offensive, I think it tends to limit who's going to participate in this forum, and I think that's a bad thing.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

OK, take a deep breath. On the other topic this thread started, let me issue a formal apology to any my pseudo-expletives may have offended. We’ve all a different sense of humor, can’t guarantee it would be much different in person though. Nonetheless, I’m not in the business of offending cachers I happen to have a great deal of respect for.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

Hey Kodak- I get it. I don't need to be told three times how offensive you think oregone's post was. You're repeating yourself now- I think everyone who is following this post knows exactly how rude, juvenile, etc, you think it was. so you know, even if oregone was wrong (and I'm not saying he was because I don't have an opinion on this one) and he offended you, maybe it's time for a cease-fire. I don't know what the attacks are intended to do- change him? i'm his girlfriend and I figured out a LONG time ago that it isn't going to happen. Just let it go. Thank you.

I chose LaurenCat because LaurenKittenPoniesFlowersPinkSunshineFairyMeowMeowRainbowHeartLoveBunnyKissKiss was just too F-ing long.

The anger is a simple thing to understand and difficult to control. It happened to me today. I was up above Roseburg getting some new caches that have been placed. Well the very first one I get to I can't find. I'm there, the gps is zeroed out, the guy before me found it two days ago. But I haven't a clue. 45 minutes later I'm in a rotten mood and questioning my very motives for geocaching in the beginning.

So that's it. A couple of people loggged "couldn't find it's" and got a bit pissy.

I do that all the time.

I hear voices.....and they don't like you!

Billy's humiliation began when he decided to send that stupid e-mail. He apparently needs no help from oregone or anyone else to achieve this.(pause) I just deleted a long tirade from this post. I'm going to try not to offend anyones delicate sensibilities.

Judge not lest ye be judged

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

If there is a God, and I don't understand how he could let children suffer at the hands of demons if he is real, then what do you say you let him do the judging and stop doing it yourselves. Its not your job.

quote:
I happen to have an open mind...if I don't like what I am reading....I quit.

I agree with you whole heartedly Quantam Mechanic. As for those who are speaking of narrow mindedness, you may want to think about that for yourselves.

And yes Kodak we are all friends here. We may not know each other, or hang out with one another, but we all share a common intrest. Life is too short to go around criticizing each other for one anothers beliefs the way we live our lives, or what we say in the forums. I think that there has been enough negativity here. Oregone was not out to offend anyone. He has already stated that, so lets let by gones be by gones. We are all here to have a good time. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LindaLu:

Now if only people would respect Christians for what they are and not what they'd like them to be...

It would be good to consider that there are those of us who don't use expletives and would prefer not to read them in the forums. If this group was in person (the whole group, not just part), I would hope that people would use some restraint.

Now some are going to call me a "narrow-minded prig" I suppose, but it's funny how "being tolerant" never seems to apply to being tolerant of Christians and others with value systems different than your own. Instead, Christians are made fun of and called names.

Where did all this come from?

Before I go off and cry about the 2000 years of Christians being persecuted (you know, just for being themselves with things like the Inquisition and witch burnings), I'd like to point out the hypocritcal nature of the above statements...

You are asking others to change the way they conduct conversations as a way to be "tolerant" of someone else who may not want to hear or read it? With that kind of thinking, no one would be speaking for fear that someone may not want to hear it. It is also completely backwards to what tolerance is. You may be getting it confused with 'consideration.'

So, if there is something that you don't want to see, don't look at it. If there is something that you don't want to read, don't read it. If there is something you don't want to hear, dont' listen. But especially don't expect others who don't have the same "value system" as you to change who they are to suit you. And when they don't, don't think that they are the ones being intolerant.

The great thing about this country (which is the ONLY reason I haven't destroyed it yet), is the fact that people have the freedom of speech. It's nice to see you all excercising that right in this forum. Debating issues can be constructive. When people turn it into a personal attack, that's when it becomes destructive. We're all here to constructively discuss our issues with the game. Let's do that, play the game, and appreciate/understand our differences.

As for the original issue, I personally think Oregone should have edited out the name. But he didn't, and he has that right. It was an email sent to him. It was his property. Case closed.

Dr. I

-Who can you trust?-

I agree with the doctor... People have the right to their opinion. If you think they are wrong.. then that's fine.. discuss it constructively... agree to disagree... it's ok if people have a different opinion. If we all had the same feelings on every issue, this place sure would be boring! icon_biggrin.gif

And yeah.. I think Oregone should have left the name out, but like the Dr. said, it's his email message.. he owns it...

And I thought it was pretty funny myself that the guy didn't site any particular thing Oregone said or did... But then again if you read through the logs, I suppose there's a bunch of stuff in there that can be considered offensive to people... But I'm not asking him to change what he writes or how he writes it icon_smile.gif

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45? 30.ish

W 122? 58.ish

If you don't say your piece when the time comes at that moment you are a waste of skin. Right or wrong the guy took a stand, took it straight to the source and didn't post Oregon's logs in the forums for us to poke fun at.

I've done to another cacher exactly what Oregon did with this guys email and looking back it was a mistake.

Wherever you go there you are.

Kodak's4 described Oregone as

quote:
the sort of person who would happily seek to humiliate someone by posting private email in a public forum

How is Oregone humiliating billycavalry by quoting the e-mail message verbatim? It seems to me that if billycavalry is humilated, it's due to his own actions, and if he's not, then this is a non-issue. If Oregone didn't start this, then I don't see why the blame lies with him.

Back in the day, I read a quote similar to the following on Usenet:

quote:
Never write anything in e-mail or Usenet that you wouldn't want appearing on the front page of the New York Times.

Those are good words to live by.

I won't try to read Oregone's mind (too frightening icon_wink.gif ). He says "I just think it's kinda funny", but that alone wouldn't prompt me to post a message like this. I might post such a message, though, in order to gauge what other northwest cachers thought of my voluminous log entries. And if the message was "kinda funny," then all the better.

Kodak's4 then wrote,

quote:
There's only one reason to include the guy's geocaching name in the posted email - to publicly humiliate him

Or to add credibility. That's why I figured it was there.

Both Oregone and Kodak's4 are a huge part of the local geocaching community, with well over a thousand finds between the two (five?) of them. My intent in this message isn't to offend either one of you, but rather to try to understand why Kodak's4 sees this as humiliation by Oregone.

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."