Making CITOs more sexy . . .

Very cool idea (not that I'm being biased being from CA) :anicute:

Seem like a very straight forward idea of what Jane McGonigal calls, the "gamification" of an idea. If you want to make something fun, turn it into a game where you earn points and get rewards. Not unlike geocaching :)

Thanks for sharing.

. . . and at the same time create insight in the litter we all generate. I came across this: This app makes it fun to pick up litter. Now that would be a novel idea to include into geocaching, wouldn't it?

Great idea, at the moment I rarely CITO but have done it occasionally if there's litter right on the cache site and I wan't to make it more fun for the next cacher. An incentive in the realm of geocaching might make me want to CITO a bit more.

I'll be the wet blanket and say I find it a shame that another "game" may be needed for folks to be responsible.

- Also, in that linked example, I can see people placing litter themselves for just..the..right..pic.

Hope they actually picked it up when done...

We pick up trash whenever out, and sometimes get into arguments with others when "holding them up".

- One of the many reasons I prefer to cache solo...

But in this hobby, when we see litter (water bottles, food wrappers...) at GZ, and ten before us never grabbed it, if an added "side-game" is needed to get people to apply what used to be common sense, might be worth a try for something similar.

. . . and at the same time create insight in the litter we all generate. I came across this: This app makes it fun to pick up litter. Now that would be a novel idea to include into geocaching, wouldn't it?

This is so cool! I watched the video and then signed up right away. I put a plastic bag in my geotool bag and a couple more in the geomobile.

I have a suggestion--when you sign up put your name as Geocacher [CacherName]. That way if they look at names, they can tell how much of the litter is being cleaned up by geocachers. (I'm "Geocacher NanCycle.")

Tomorrow I'll take a walk around the neighborhood picking up remains of illegal fireworks. CITO without the CI.

Interesting app, although taking a picture doesn't mean that the person actually picked up the litter. I wonder what happens if people have geotagging turned off for their phone's camera. Too bad there isn't a way to stop people from littering in the first place.

I try to pick up litter, but it depends on what the litter is and what I have on-hand to carry it with. I've picked up wrappers and carried them in my pocket until I reached a garbage can, but I'm not going to carry tissues or other 'biohazards' in my pockets. I level of 'yuck' that I'll pick up increases if I have a plastic bag with me.

I once filled an entire plastic shopping bag with garbage that I collected from a popular hiking viewpoint, and there was still some garbage remaining. Seems odd that people didn't mind carrying full Lunchables and snack bags up the trail, but then couldn't be bothered to carry the empty containers back down. I've never understood why people think it's just fine to throw their garbage on the ground. :blink:

I'll be the wet blanket and say I find it a shame that another "game" may be needed for folks to be responsible.

- Also, in that linked example, I can see people placing litter themselves for just..the..right..pic.

We pick up trash whenever out, and sometimes get into arguments with others when "holding them up".

But in this hobby, when we see litter (water bottles, food wrappers...) at GZ, and ten before us never grabbed it, if an added "side-game" is needed to get people to apply what used to be common sense, might be worth a try for something similar.

By "being responsible" do you mean not littering, picking up litter when one happens to come across it, or deliberately taking a walk around the neighborhood for the purpose of picking up litter? I see "responsible" as simply not littering in the first place; everything else is above and beyond. When I started caching, I used to CITO a lot but I've kinda gotten away from doing it. I see this as an incentive to resume doing so.

When Geocaching had those short-lived "Challenges" there was one called "10,000 Pieces of Litter" in which 1000 people were each to pick up 10 pieces of litter. That was the only "Challenge" that I did, and I kept it going by picking up trash in a park that I frequently walked through--until the city removed the trash cans from the park, first from one side and then the other side also. Shortly after the second can was removed, someone had a party in the park and had a large sheet-cake box left over. Instead of taking it home, because the trash can was gone, they left it right where the trash can used to be.

@Keystone: Please note that what I sent before is not just useful for CITO events, but to make CITO itself a stronger and integral part of Geocaching as a whole. I'd hope that GC would pick this up and would include it in the map and possibilities already given. So I'm not sure if the CITO event part in the forum is the right place to put this idea, but I'd rather see it back in the Geocaching Topics part.

By "being responsible" do you mean not littering, picking up litter when one happens to come across it, or deliberately taking a walk around the neighborhood for the purpose of picking up litter?

Doesn't being responsible cover all of that? :)