Night time Cacheing

jam6363

There's 'caching at night' and 'night caches'. The former just means that people attempt a cache at nighttime, while the latter is a specific cache attribute that identifies caches that are meant to be found at night and usually involves reflectors.

'Night caches' should include the Night Cache attribute nightcache-yes.gif and should only be placed in areas that do not restrict access. For example, some parks are 'closed' after dusk, so those would not be appropriate places for a 'night cache' to be placed.

'Caching at night' should not be done with caches that have the 'NOT Recommended at Night' night-no.gif or the 'NOT Available at All Times' available-no.gif attribute. Cachers should also avoid caching at night in areas where their presence could be alarming, like in residential areas. My other advice would be to exercise caution when using flashlights to search, as flashlights can be seen from quite a distance and may be alarming where someone without a flashlight may not be noticeable or alarming. I often try to keep my flashlight on low power and/or keep it off until I get close to GZ and then keep it pointed downward while searching to avoid too much light scatter.

Here are some threads from the past couple years that you might find useful:

Night Caching

Night Caching

Night Caches

Edited by noncentric

As long as you have permission to place the cache then you should not have any issues.

Just to clarify, the OP is asking about finding caches at night, which involves different considerations than hiding a cache.

Even if a CO gets permission to hide a cache somewhere, then that doesn't mean that cache seekers should go looking for that cache at any time of the day/night. The Parks Department may give permission to hide a cache in ABC Park, but cache seekers still need to stay out of that park when it is 'closed'.

As long as you have permission to place the cache then you should not have any issues.

Just to clarify, the OP is asking about finding caches at night, which involves different considerations than hiding a cache.

Even if a CO gets permission to hide a cache somewhere, then that doesn't mean that cache seekers should go looking for that cache at any time of the day/night. The Parks Department may give permission to hide a cache in ABC Park, but cache seekers still need to stay out of that park when it is 'closed'.

Actually, he asked about both: "I setup a night cache in a local park but am afraid to post it." ;)

Is caching at night legal? Only if it's legal for you to access the cache location at that time. I can't speak for everywhere, but where I live, parks are closed nightly from 10 PM to 6AM. Other places I've lived or visited have had similar laws, with some variance in the specific hours. Do people ever visit parks when they're closed without it causing problems? Definitely, but YMMV.

If you're going to hide a cache and encourage people to find it at night, you need to first confirm with the land manager that this is allowed.

Is it legal to cache at night?

That would depend on where one is doing the caching. Places that are closed at night (like public parks and such) it's illegal to be there for ANY reason, caching or otherwise. Places where it's OK to be out and about at night, would be OK to be out and about geocaching at night.

Do you look suspicious out roaming around after hours? Wont the cops stop you and begin to question you?

Quite possibly, but again, that depends on the area where the cache is placed. Is it somewhat normal for folks to be out and about at night in that area? Do cops frequently roam the area and check for suspicious activity?

I setup a night cache in a local park but am afraid to post it.

As others have stated, find out what the local regulations are for the park where you want to place the cache. Don't tempt others to break the law to find your cache.

My son worked a swing shift, and often would go caching with buddies after work, at 1 or 2 in the morning, seeking FTF's that published while he was working, or night caches in our area. It's not illegal to cache at night, but it might be illegal to search for and find a hidden cache at some locations at night.

Thank you all for the advice. Yes this is a local park and it actually has close proximity to a neighborhood. I will take the high road and remove my reflectors. I will not place the cache in this park. I will however look for a better location for a night cache. :) Thanks!

Well, night caching deep in woods - there's a high risk of being shot in hunting areas. Some hunters are jerks and may beg on you if you try to seek for caches in night deep in woods. They might think of you as an animal being hunted, in worst scenerio. Be extremely careful in night...

Cache should not be made night if it's in active hunting area, in fact, night caching should be forbidden here, or marked as dangerous...