Hand held GPS

pawpawfry

Hi everyone. I am a new geocacher. Weekends and holidays are my prime times to go.

I am looking for a hand held GPS unit. Don't want to spend a lot since I can't go very much.

I am looking at the Garmin Etrex 20x. Is it worth the money? Can I use it out of the box?

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

I am looking at the Garmin Etrex 20x. Is it worth the money? Can I use it out of the box?

Yes, that's an OK GPSr. You can use it right out of the box, yet there's room later if you want to load Pocket Queries (or "Lists") or add maps.

Handheld GPSrs typically come with a very basic map of major roads, waterways, and land borders. It's often nicer to load more detailed maps, so can better see where the cache is in relation to you. And also to load Pocket Queries of entire towns, so you don't have to type coordinates all the time, plus you get cache descriptions, hints and logs on screen.

But yes, open the box, install the batteries, let the GPSr acquire its current location outside (which might take 30 minutes at first), and you can manually enter cache coordinates, click "Go", and see a compass that points to the cache and shows distance.

Edited by kunarion