[BUG] After sucessful searching/logging a mystery - POI on map is resetted

Cecedevil

Browser: Mozilla and IE

Steps to reproduce:

1) enter your own coordinates of a solved mysterie -> the POI on the map is changed to the entered coordinates

2) look after Cache and log your found online

Observed behavior:

1) The coordinates seemed to be removed in the listening

2) the POI on the map is changed to the original POI

Expected behavior:

1) The POI stays on its place (your own entered coordinates)

2) The mystery-icon turned to a smiling face ;-)

-> This would be fine for planing my own Caches if i have an online map where the solved mysteries are marked on my entered coordinates.

-> I also looked up in the listening- the entered (own) coordinates are not removed.

Not sure if this is really a 'bug' - since what you described is the intended behavior with the new solved coordinates map feature.

Maybe what you're requesting is a new 'feature', something like a toggle option for solved coords:

ON = caches with corrected coords show at corrected locations, with puzzle icons - all other caches show at posted coords with regular cache icons

OFF = all caches show at their posted coords, with regular cache icons

Steps to reproduce:

1) enter your own coordinates of a solved mysterie -> the POI on the map is changed to the entered coordinates

Observed behavior:

Expected behavior:

-> This would be fine for planing my own Caches if i have an online map where the solved mysteries are marked on my entered coordinates.

-> I also looked up in the listening- the entered (own) coordinates are not removed.

As noncentric said, this isn't a bug, this is a new feature of the map on the website and app. If you have corrected coordinates entered for a cache, the icon will show at the corrected coordinates with a puzzle piece icon. Once you have found the cache it will turn into a smiley and will go back to the original coordinates. You can find the entire announcement here

Steps to reproduce:

Observed behavior:

Expected behavior:

As noncentric said, this isn't a bug, this is a new feature of the map on the website and app. If you have corrected coordinates entered for a cache, the icon will show at the corrected coordinates with a puzzle piece icon. Once you have found the cache it will turn into a smiley and will go back to the original coordinates. You can find the entire announcement here

The problem is not all caches show on the map with the corrected coords (only some) and I agree with the OP that people should see caches at the corrected coordinates like we saw over the holiday weekend!

The problem is not all caches show on the map with the corrected coords (only some) and I agree with the OP that people should see caches at the corrected coordinates like we saw over the holiday weekend!

Some may consider it a 'problem', while others may not. There are valid reasons to see caches at posted coords (geoart, cache icon overlapping) and also valid reasons to see caches at corrected coords (searching, proximity checking). I think that Groundspeak's implementation was an attempt to accommodate both sides, but obviously not everyone agrees with it. My hope is that the feature's implementation will be adjusted, preferably with a toggle option.

In any case, this isn't a "bug".

Not sure if this is really a 'bug' - since what you described is the intended behavior with the new solved coordinates map feature.

It's a bug in the requirements. A mis-feature. A design flaw.

...in my humble opinion.

Yeah - it might be a design flaw, but I just meant that it's not a 'bug' by the strict definition of the word. The OP's post was great to describe something that doesn't work the way it's supposed to, noting the browsers and reproduction steps. A great way to report a 'bug'. It sounded like the OP thought it wasn't working the way it's supposed to, so I wanted to ensure they knew that things were working as designed.

Whether the design is satisfactory or not is a different matter. :ph34r:

The OP's feedback might've been better placed in the relevant Release Notes thread, to serve as an additional voice stating that the feature's design has some deficit.

Some may consider it a 'problem', while others may not. There are valid reasons to see caches at posted coords (geoart, cache icon overlapping) and also valid reasons to see caches at corrected coords (searching, proximity checking). I think that Groundspeak's implementation was an attempt to accommodate both sides, but obviously not everyone agrees with it. My hope is that the feature's implementation will be adjusted, preferably with a toggle option.

Well I liked seeing where the caches were that I solved without doing the PQs. So hopefully there will be an option for that and keep things the other way for those who don't want to see it. Anyways, its not necessarily a bug to some people, but we're supposed to be seeing where the caches corrected coords are on the map.

Well I liked seeing where the caches were that I solved without doing the PQs. So hopefully there will be an option for that and keep things the other way for those who don't want to see it. Anyways, its not necessarily a bug to some people, but we're supposed to be seeing where the caches corrected coords are on the map.

Yes - right now, the map functionality is a bug, because the new feature isn't working the way it was designed. Puzzle piece icons aren't showing up on the browsing map. I am seeing the puzzle piece icons when mapping search results though. It seems that, intentionally or not, it is now possible to see cache icons at either solved or posted coords.

What's described in the OP in not what I'd consider a bug, because what was described was how the site was designed to work when the OP was posted.

Edited by noncentric

It appears they tried to change something yesterday that took away this functionality by mistake. It is a bug that caches with coorected coordinates are no longer showing at said corrected coordinates on the map. I'm sure HQ is working on fixing this.

I really doubt they would implement a new feature, especially one that a lot of people had been looking for, only to take it away a few days later. I'm sure this is an error.

Edited by Sherminator18

I hope it is only gone temporarily from the website. I *loved* seeing unfound puzzles showing on the map at the corrected coords. Critically important feature! Made it really easy to see which puzzles you have solved in an area and which you have not. I am fine with them moving back to posted coords on the map once found (to preserve geo-art).

It appears they tried to change something yesterday that took away this functionality by mistake. It is a bug that caches with coorected coordinates are no longer showing at said corrected coordinates on the map. I'm sure HQ is working on fixing this.

I really doubt they would implement a new feature, especially one that a lot of people had been looking for, only to take it away a few days later. I'm sure this is an error.

Just wanted to clarify my comment about it NOT being a bug. The behavior described in the OP was what I was referring to. Post #1 outlines how the new feature was designed to work, and it was working as designed when the OP was posted. So, what is described in the OP is not a "bug".

Of course, the feature not working yesterday was a bug, but that's not what this thread was about.

I hope it is only gone temporarily from the website. I *loved* seeing unfound puzzles showing on the map at the corrected coords. Critically important feature! Made it really easy to see which puzzles you have solved in an area and which you have not. I am fine with them moving back to posted coords on the map once found (to preserve geo-art).

Looks like its been fixed with the homepage looking different as well.