Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LyleCrumbstorm

Extremely Difficult Caches?

First, I apologize as I am a noob and I am confident this question has already been asked and answered but I cannot find it.

I just joined yesterday and as soon as I opened the map of caches the first thing I noticed is that they were all in easy to access locations. I was hoping for some that would take me deep into the wilderness here in Colorado, off trail and perhaps pose some real challenges. I'd like to hike out into the middle of the Arapaho National Forest or the Weminuche - or anywhere, with overnight gear prepared for a few days of physical challenge. Living in Colorado I have to presume there is a version of this activity that could result in death. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance.

You may only be seeing what's shown to non-paying members; which on a smartphone app, is T 1 (wheelchair accessible) and T 1.5 (stroller accessible).

You may to log out and log back in again for the site to see you as having paid.

What you want will be indicated with higher terrain ratings; likely T3 and above. Those caches certainly exist. T5 caches that require technical climbing gear and skills. As a Premium Member, all caches are available to you.

You can use several types of search to find what you want. Scrolling on the Geocaching.com Map of an area, Pocket Queries, asking for caches in Colorado with T3.5 on Search and higher, etc.

This looks interesting in the Arapaho National Forest - Earthcache T5

Edited by palmetto

Thank you.

That link you provided is definitely more challenging than most I've seen but still right on the side of a trail. I set my Terrain to 5 and there is nothing in the middle of wilderness areas. Are there rules against making a cache somewhere in the middle of nowhere? (I'll start my research now...)

[Edit: I see your links to the Listing Guidelines and The Groundspeak Help Center now.]

Edited by LyleCrumbstorm

... I have to presume there is a version of this activity that could result in death. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I surely hope that nobody point you there...

I surely hope that nobody point you there...

I'm ashamed to admit that if you knew me you would have likely pointed me there a long time ago.

• Upvote 1

There is no official rule that forbids highly dangerous caches or caches that require a lot of hiking. I don't know about your area, but it could be that those areas have land managing entities that either don't allow geocaching specifically, or that restrict land use to hikers or other human activity.

Edited by TriciaG

Thank you.

Are there rules against making a cache somewhere in the middle of nowhere? (I'll start my research now...)

As long as you have permission, you can hide it wherever caches are allowed to be hidden. If you want to hike 20 miles into the wilderness or swim to the bottom of a lake, you most certainly can do that. For myself, there are two things that would keep me from hiding caches in that manner:

1-It's not going to see much action. Yes, the ones that DO find it will probably thank you profusely for the cache but those logs could be few and far between. I want my caches to be found and enjoyed, so I place them in more accessible areas.

2-Doing routine maintenance would be an ordeal. I couldn't just "swing by" and check on things. And since it's a cache that might only get a visit every year or couple of years, well, I don't know if "mortified" is the correct term for it, but I would feel pretty awful if someone hunted for it and it was missing or in need of repair and it had been years since I checked on it.

I did a quick PQ for T5 and >10km hiking Attribute (the longest available Attribute unfortunately), and came up with 162 in the great State of Colorado.

Although a bit North of where you were looking at, I did like the looks of this Virtual:

It's a Long way up!

For designated Wilderness Areas, I think you'll find caches very far and few between due to the explicit permission aspect of such placements. Earthcaches are a pretty good way to go in such circumstances. I've found most NFS and NPS Land Managers pretty open to the idea of virtual Earthcaches in the backcountry.

FWIW, my experience is that T5 caches are often rated such because they require special equipment. If you have the required equipment, then they're usually relatively easy to access. In contrast, T4 caches are simply difficult to access, and there is no equipment that will make them easy to access. For example, a multi-day backpacking trip in a wilderness area, where no vehicles are allowed, is going to be a challenging journey no matter how prepared you are.

• Upvote 1

FWIW, my experience is that T5 caches are often rated such because they require special equipment. If you have the required equipment, then they're usually relatively easy to access. In contrast, T4 caches are simply difficult to access, and there is no equipment that will make them easy to access. For example, a multi-day backpacking trip in a wilderness area, where no vehicles are allowed, is going to be a challenging journey no matter how prepared you are.

+1 :)

When a T5 cache has few attributes, we'll bring our "little O everything" bags as a JIC.

Heaviest packs we have, an overnight hike is out of the question.

Most T5s we found weren't too far from parking because of pack weight, or the start where watercraft's needed.

T4 or 4.5 is often a much longer walk.

You came to the right game. cool.gif

Yes, darn right, we have adventure caches. They take a bit of work to find because they're getting drowned out by filler. But you can find them.

• Go to the website map at https://www.geocaching.com/map (not "the app", ignore the app).
  • Pull out the left-side panel and select Leaflet (don't ask; it's a misnomer).
  • Choose an OSM-family map (such as the excellent Thunderforest maps) using the widget in the top-right corner. OSM has trails galore.
  • Explore some remote parts of the world on the map.
  • Load your pack and go!

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1