Multitudes of micros

bazzle

Anybody else notice the recent facination with placing micros in relatively unremarkable places? Is it some new competition to see who can place the most caches? Or just lack of creativity by new placers?

Or is it just me...

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

**Namaste**

I first noticed it when there were 5 micros in the same park! They have their place in high-traffic areas but the relative ease of hiding them encourages carelessness. Owners may not maintain them, either, because there is often little investment in effort and materials. Heck, many don't even have log books--kind of do-it-yourself virtual caches.

On the plus side, it gives me something to look for in urban areas. I just wish owners would put more pride into creating fun hunts in interesting locations.

I think it might be just you if you're talking about Portland (emoticon!). I think there are only 3 micros within a 5 mile radius of downtown: My PGE, DenaliNW's 'Proposals' (placed WAY back in 2001), and Kiwimonster's 'Poetry in Motion.' Portland is even short on the virtual cache department, in comparison to most cities.

Have you been finding caches in some other city? I'd check myself, but the profiles aren't coming up yet with these new forums.

Anyway, here's some examples:

St. Paul, Minnesota has twice as many micros than Portland. Austin, Texas also has six micros within five miles from their city center, but they also have 29 virtuals.

I think we're pretty lucky here in portland.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

[This message was edited by oregone on April 01, 2003 at 04:39 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by bazzle:

Anybody else notice the recent facination with placing micros in relatively unremarkable places? Is it some new competition to see who can place the most caches? Or just lack of creativity by new placers?

Oh God... here we go again. First it was locationless, then virtuals, now micros too? What's next, Multis?

No disrespect to anyone who posts here, but why can't you realize that not everyone's ideal cache is the same and leave it at that?

With respect to THIS topic, I thought the point of caching was to find the cache. Not the place. Sure it's better if the cache is at some cool or beutiful location, but so what if it's not? The point is to find the hidden object, and not all of them are going to be in the best locations.

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Whoa now Gloom...

It was simply an observation, not meant as a poke at micros. As oregone pointed out there are very few in my close area, and I have found and enjoyed them all icon_biggrin.gif. It is more bigeddy's point I was getting at.

And NO for many it is not about simply finding the cache, it very much is about the place and the adventure. And 5 micros in the same park rather takes away from the sport IMHO... And for the record, I like virtuals as well, if they take me someplace new and fun (not many I have found do, so I do not do them often). I rather prefer a good fun hunt, a bit of an adventure, and finding cool stuff to trade (this does not include such things as broken glasses frame, rusty earrings, old hotel room keys, etc...). This is not a competition for me, it is recreation.

And I am the last one to want to knock ANY well thought out cache be it virtual, micro, or surplus cruise missle casing...

Sorry if I ruffled feathers. As I said it was simply an observation. Of the 25 newest caches on my list 2 are events, 1 is virtual, and 8 are micro (most of which do not even seem to have a writting stick inside)...

**Namaste**

See Bazzle the thing is lots of us old timers really enjoyed the virtuals and many enjoyed the Locationless caches. But lots of complaints from newer users and before you know it Virtuals are nearly impossible to get approved. Now Gloom reads a complaint about micros and what else are we to think. Maybe you like "well thought out" micros but try to define that to everyone's liking.

When we started way back we were grateful for any cache. Now things have to be special. Maybe you aren't intending to attack micros but you just have to wonder where this will all end up. After all this is how it started about virtuals.

Want to know which caches I hate? Only the ones I can't find, that's it. I have never attacked a single cache for being lousy. I've pointed out it's in poison oak, but then thank the placer for putting it out. I enjoy every cache and I suggest you try that too.

One of my hobbies is scuba diving. When asked what my favorite dive is I always respond my most recent one. Works for me, maybe it can work for you?

Let's not start up anything about micros. We've heard lots of complaints about lousy contents. So lately I've placed a couple of caches that only have a log and pencil in it. Full sized caches so that a TB will fit in them. No way for anyone to complain that that cache is going downhill is it?

Oh and one more thing, the only time I've ever read something negative in a log in one of my caches is when it's someone with just a handful of finds. I'm not accusing you of this Bazzle. I'm just pointing it out.

Funny thing too. When you grab all the caches within 50 miles of your home a cacher never complains about any cache either icon_biggrin.gif

Well I can see folks are a bit more touchy than I had anticipated...

IT WAS ONLY AN OBSERVATION FOLKS!!!! SORRY!!!

BTW Lazyboy --- Everyday is a joy for me, a gift of my way of live. The only thing I have to complain about is that often the day ends and I am not ready for it to... And I certainly was NOT intending to complain about micros OR virtuals (I have one of my own icon_wink.gif ). And I certainly do not want this to end up as an attack on ANY form of cache. I have done, and will continue to do micros. I just thought it was kinda funny and I did not anticipate that folks would be so uptight, my bad...

**Namaste**

No worries Bazzle. I'm sure we are a bit oversensitive about losing some of the things we enjoy about the hobby.

I tend to agree with you in some ways. I mean I know I can go stick a micro almost anywhere and it's approved. Yet you can work your butt off for a virtual and forget it.

What I've done lately is place what I fell are true handicap caches. They are micros and the average person would say they suck as they are just about drive too caches. But a person in a wheelchair can access them. I post very clearly in the log that they are very easy and that anyone can get to them. You'd think that those who need a challenge would pass them up. Guess what, they get his the fastest and the most often.

I've seen lots of threads complaining about easy caches, but those are the most popular.

Anyway I smell like Oregone on a week long caching adventure. Time for a shower.

Now that I can appreciate lazyboy. One of my best friends is in a wheelchair, and while he does not cache, your thoughtfulness in that regard says good things about your character. And I have to agree, sometimes your just need an easy find. icon_wink.gif

**Namaste**

When there were 3 caches within 20 miles of home I thanked everyone profusely. Now that there are over 100 I'm more picky; I read logs carefully and have done only around 65 of them. Quality is important to me and, I believe, to the future of the sport. Quality should not be confused with difficulty, cache type or frequency of visits. It has more to do with pride of ownership and how visitors treat the cache. As more new people try geocaching, we need to try extra hard to keep the quality high.

Quality high. Ever think that what you think is high quality others may not? For some people quality is in contents, for others it's the hike in, for others it's the view. For many it's solving a puzzle ( I hate those) and so on and so on.

My concern these days is the ratings we give a cache without regards to what that rating really should be. How about the handicapped user that goes after a 1 star cache only to find a curb preventing them from reaching it?

We all have likes and dislikes. I do not care for multi stage caches and seldom do them. The few I've done are fine, it's just not my thing.

See I've placed micros in a guard rail along a road. I'm sure most would think that sucks. But for some people it's the only cache they can reach. I've done the same at a freeway road stop. Breaks up the day of travel for a cacher, but is it qualtiy? Most likely not. But it feels pretty good to log a cache on a day when you are going down the road a couple of hundred miles. So no view, hike, scenery but it's appreciated.

I'm getting to the point where I wish the amount of new people would slow way down or even stop. The bigger something gets the more rules we end up with and rules are a pain in the butt. Well I guess we'll continue until it stops being fun.

icon_razz.gif Micros are cool, and I tend to use them sparingly. The best part about micro's is they are cheap, I do not have to restock them, and they can proove rather difficult to find!! All of my micro's contain waterproof logs, and I keep a close eye on them, so if they do need servicing, I can do rather quickly and get them back out.

With a large cache, people tend to take the good stuff and leave trash in return. Then I end up having to replentish the cache, only to have the same thing happen again. Face it. People are getting tired of constantly replacing trash with good items. If most geocachers would start taking something of good quality and leaving something of equal value, you might see a decline in micro's.

Personally, I have started making my bigger caches harder to find by converting them into multi leg caches with the cache at the end filled with good items. Kind of a reward.

quote:
People are getting tired of constantly replacing trash with good items.

I will not replenish a cache again. I used to do that but never again. Not long ago I had a cache out that after 6 weeks I decided to archive and I planned to use the same cache contents and box and a better location. In just 6 weeks the cache had been reduced to junk.

So not a problem, I put the cache back out there and I'm not worrying about what's inside any longer.

A couple of recent caches I've placed are full sized containers with only a logbook and pencil inside. Sort of a maxi-micro. Hey a new term? This way the cache can contain any Travel Bugs that need a home. If people miss contents, well, I guess they can go to the dollar store and pick something up.

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

Quality high. Ever think that what you think is high quality others may not? For some people quality is in contents, for others it's the hike in, for others it's the view. For many it's solving a puzzle ( I hate those) and so on and so on.

Variety is good. Variety & quality are better.

We discussed "cache pollution" on our local forum and most people felt that more quality and less quantity are desirable. To that end people said they give constructive log entries, avoid poor caches and try to set a good example. I find your approach of ignoring contents altogether to be disturbing. I'm thankful everyone doesn't feel that way.

Just an observation based on my own experience with my family:

Micro caches (and most virtual caches) are not family friendly. That doesn't mean I won't do them - just that I can't convince my cache companions to be, well, my cache companions when the destination doesn't have a box of junk to paw through.

Now, the Big Red Wagon in Spokane was a Virtual that I had trouble prying them away from! We (I) managed to find 30 caches on our Spring Break road trip (5 virtuals in Spokane on my morning run!)

Another geocacher friend has a similar problem. After planning out a (typical?) family road-trip that included as much caching as possible - the kids announced in no uncertain terms - "NO micros and NO virtuals". Unfortunately, that cut waaayy down on his find count!

I think that with the increased difficulty with getting virtuals approved, we'll continue to see more and more micros. After all, that's a common suggestion when someone on the forums complains that their favorite historical marker was bounced - 'Could you hide a micro there?'

A large percentage of the caches we hit on the Yakima Cache Machine were micros, but I suspect that was a function of the desire to get just as many caches as possible in as short a time as possible. There were certainly plenty of caches in the surrounding hills that we never got close to...

Ron/yumitori

yumitory has a good point. Since it's now "we will approve your virtual if and only if you can't hid a traditinal cache there" you will see more micro's.

Besides, what's not to love about them? Easy to maintain, McToys don't fit. Logs don't fit. No muss, no fuss and a real pain to find. But of course they are micro's.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
I find your approach of ignoring contents altogether to be disturbing. I'm thankful everyone doesn't feel that way.

Hmmm, well to each their own. But after placing 67 caches (average cost 15-10 bucks) I feel I've donated enough. I wonder about your concern for the cache contents though. Is that really important to you?

I sort of feel like what I've been doing is giving away garbage. Don't get me wrong, I don't give a hoot about getting anything back. But what is left for cacher number 10 is usualy pretty lousy. So why put out junk for the first few cachers who aren't giving back what they took?

I think can't get up for replenising a cache over and over. That would make me Santa Claus right? I only know of one cache where the user actually does that. In fact the contents of this cache are so nice that I couldn't take a single thing. I didn't have anything worthy of being in that cache.

Well I do that... Of course I only have 5 active cahes and one of those is a virtual. I really kinda doubt I will EVER have 67 active caches (how do you maintain them all??). With all the folks hiding quick and easys around my area that would be rather excessive. I am of the mind that a few tough to find, well stocked caches are more my style (and yes, I know it is not everyone's and do not expect it to be). If I have concerns that one of my caches is going to pot, I will restock and make it members only. Better to control expectation then to expect control...

**Namaste**

[This message was edited by bazzle on April 02, 2003 at 03:35 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

But after placing 67 caches (average cost 15-10 bucks) I feel I've donated enough.

I agree, you've done more than enough! icon_wink.gif Looks like your signature cache is World's Worst Cache. I like it!

quote:
I wonder about your concern for the cache contents though. Is that really important to you?

A nicely stocked cache is a delight, especially for my wife who won't even hunt micros or virtuals.

quote:
So why put out junk for the first few cachers who aren't giving back what they took?

Because we take pride in our caches and want others to have a good experience?

No one would claim that the world's worst cache is my signature cache. I do many caches that are intended to amuse. I put that cache out after people starting complaints on this forum about really lousy caches. Like we should save them a trip to the mall or something I guess. Another one I put out is called Black Plastic Bag. Again I did that after people started whining about about cache boxes in black plastic bags. As though the plastic made the cache bad all on it's on.

I'm proud of some caches I've placed that only have a couple of logs. They require steep hikes or long hikes. One is a 5 mile round trip. They will go for months without a log. Now if you are ever in my area and you want a chuckle go do one of my "go ahead, knock on their door" caches. Those are all micros with just a log in it. I not only get interesting logs I get some fun emails from them.

So all in all I feel pretty good about what I do for caching. Maybe if you did mine you wouldn't appreciate what's in the box, but I think you'd enjoy the hunt and maybe even some of the humor.

Most of the cachers around these parts have been doing it for years now. They are past the trinket stage. I feel the urge to set a cache for you this summer. Let's see, got one all picked out for Snazz with Bet Snazz Can't Stay Away For you I think I'll call it bigeddy's empty box. Boy I'll have more Bend caches set out than you guys can handle.

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Haven't we had this conversation before?

Yep. Not sure why you still think that logs can't fit into micros, though.

http://geocachingwa.org

In a nutshell, it's because I like those 47 cent mini composition books. Lots of pages and they fit in Decon containers which I've just invested in. But a film canister is just too small. The log books get crumpled if you try to trade, they don't have much room to hold logs and I have a very hard time signing them and my writing is bad to begin with.

It has more to do with practicality (as I see it) than impossiblity. Most of the time I have a rolled up Geocaching notice, the back of which could double as a log in an emergency. It's one sheet thick and not meant to be taken out of the film canister though.

==============================

Wherever you go there you are.

I Agree that there are many more micros than there used to be. The Bison macros allow a more devious and easy hide since there are many more places to plant them due to their small size.

I myself have seen also an increase of TB related problems as less (as a percentage) traditional caches are placed.

What I mean is, I have picked up bugs lately and have held onto them longer than normal because in our area the bulk of new hides are micros.

This translates into emails saying "can you move my bug along?"

Your area may be diffrent but that seems to be the dynamic around here.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Cachin's a bit sweeter when you've got an Isha!

quote:
Originally posted by bazzle:

Years huh Lazyboy... happy SECOND aniversary...

Yeah Genius. Years. Since Geocaching is coming up on three years. Two years is a very long time.

You sound very arrogant for someone that hasn't even reached one.

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

Anyone else get kinda annoyed when they read logs in a new cache (that has been nicely stocked) and see people taking multiple items out and leaving lesser items? Sure, if there are multiple cache finders, everyone can trade, but unless its a travel bug and another item leave some of the new stuff for the next finders!

quote:
Originally posted by Boojum:

Anyone else get kinda annoyed when they read logs in a new cache (that has been nicely stocked) and see people taking multiple items out and leaving lesser items?

Answer: Yep, but this smells like a brand new topic to me...

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

To bazzle: get out of st. johns for a day! (emoticon #1!)

To Lazyboy: get out of butte falls for a day! (emoticon #2!)

To leatherman: get out of dixie for a day! (emoticon #3!)

Although i've only met two of you, and although i've only slept in one of your fifth-wheels, i'm sure that all three of ya would probably make fun of me equally as i accidentally spill beer on myself.

The original topic was microcaches, and the end-all be-all resolution to this topic is that all microcaches suck unless you either see (a)panties, (b)my find count going up, © someone buying me a beer shortly thereafter (which i would later spill on myself), (d) a forum topic about the whole dadgum thing, or (e) panties.

I say 'panties' here twice because i honestly think that they're important.

don't make me emoticon again here, guys.

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

The original topic was microcaches, and the end-all be-all resolution to this topic is that all microcaches suck unless you either see (a)panties, (b)my find count going up, © someone buying me a beer shortly thereafter (which i would later spill on myself), (d) a forum topic about the whole dadgum thing, or (e) panties.

I say 'panties' here twice because i honestly think that they're important.

So, you're saying that your Portland General Eclectic cache REALLY sucked, because not only was it a micro, it didn't contain any panties? icon_biggrin.gif Just kidding, man! icon_wink.gif We thought it was pretty icon_cool.gif for a micro! Oregone, when you gonna do a panty cache?

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

((((((Bazzle))))) Love ya man

quote:
Years huh Lazyboy... happy SECOND aniversary...

Second year as Lazyboy, but thank you for the happy thoughts.

Oregone I think you're right. I'm getting out of Butte Falls, for a few weeks. May 1st we're off for tropical beaches.

I recall doing a micro that was a bit perplexing. It is in the middle of a forest, good tree canopy and it is a clear container hanging from a branch with clear fishing line.

Everyone else I know found it. On my 3rd try I walked into it and it hit me in the head. So then suddenly I love it.

Isn't spilling beer a sin or something?

Lazyboy: I meant that with all seriousness. It was not a poke. icon_smile.gif I hope I can wish you the same when it is 10 years...

Oregone: You are quite correct, panties ARE important (mind if I use your emoticon?). And I just got back from a weekend in McKenzie Bridge, does that count??? icon_razz.gif

Leatherman: Well... Smile man, the sport is young, and we are all trying to make it better in our own ways...

And once again to the original topic... I have NO problem with micros per se, I just observed a high percentage of new ones, that is all... There are several I have done and very much enjoyed (maybe a picture of a cheerleader in panties on the inside of the lid would spruce up PGE icon_razz.gif). And there are several that I have chosen not to do, ain't it great to be able to excersize your own power to choose??? Heck there are full size caches I have chosen not to do, 30 feet up a tree??? Great fun for many and I am very glad they are there. And I have never even thought to complain that it should not be so. I simply know that I do not have to do every cache out there, and that I do enjoy every cache I do, well 90% of them. We all have done caches we did not enjoy, but hey...that is the nature of the sport.

OK... Now let's all go find our new favorite cache!

**Namaste**

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

_Tell us more about _Soapy Boy_!_

Soapy boy will be making an appearance at The Cozy Cove Oceanfront Motel in Lincoln City, Oregon on the night of Saturday, April 12th. Rinsy boy will soon follow.

I'll try to post some pictures of the "event."

(can i get an emoticon?!)

I think I need to agree with bazzle and bigeddy on this topic. I don't think the complaint is so much about micros, as it is about unremarkable hides in unremarkable places. There's just a tendancy for the unremarkable caches to be micros as well.

I don't hunt caches to log another find, I hunt caches to have fun and enjoy the hunt itself (and as long as I do, I don't care if I don't find the cache). But, for that to happen, the cache needs to be either in a spot that is interesting to go to (i.e. not outside the post office or on the edge of the shopping mall parking lot), or have an entertaining hike, walk, puzzle, or some other redeeming value to justify it's existance. Caches that don't have some redeeming value are just caches planted for the sake of boosting someones numbers, and I really have to wonder about the motivations of those who honestly LIKE such unremarkable bag-n-tags.

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

I don't hunt caches to log another find, I hunt caches to have fun and enjoy the hunt itself (and as long as I do, I don't care if I don't find the cache). But, for that to happen, the cache needs to be either in a spot that is interesting to go to (i.e. not outside the post office or on the edge of the shopping mall parking lot), or have an entertaining hike, walk, puzzle, or some other redeeming value to justify it's existance.

What about an interesting hiding place? Here's a quote from a log entry for a micro hidden in an uninteresting spot -

"SCHWEEEEEEET!!! The coordinates were right on, and The Force agreed (mostly) , but I still had trouble finding it. This is probably the best urban microcache container ever thought of."

Obviously urban micros appeal to folks for various reasons. Of course, what's an interesting hide for one person might not be for the next. Perhaps we can let everyone decide for themselves what's worthwhile.

quote:
Caches that don't have some redeeming value are just caches planted for the sake of boosting someones numbers, and I really have to wonder about the motivations of those who honestly LIKE such unremarkable bag-n-tags.

I really see no reason to worry about the motivations of anyone except myself. But since you brought it up, it does raise the question of why you bother to log such caches then...

Ron/yumitori

quote:
Originally posted by yumitori:

What about an interesting hiding place? Here's a quote from a log entry for a micro hidden in an uninteresting spot -

"SCHWEEEEEEET!!! The coordinates were right on, and The Force agreed (mostly) , but I still had trouble finding it. This is probably the best urban microcache container ever thought of."

Obviously urban micros appeal to folks for various reasons. Of course, what's an interesting hide for one person might not be for the next. Perhaps we can let everyone decide for themselves what's worthwhile.

Strange how you would bring up my own post for what at the time (almost a year ago), was the very first micro cache in this area, and was therefore very clever and unique. I stand by my words, for when I found that cache, it WAS a unique and clever hide in a unique and clever location. Unfortunately, that particular fun idea has been beaten into the ground by those that think every piece of metal to stick a magnet to qualifies as 'unique' and 'clever' all over again.

quote:

I really see no reason to worry about the motivations of anyone except myself. But since you brought it up, it does raise the question of why you bother to log such caches then...

In the last month I've hunted two. One purely because a friend who'd tried for it wanted me to come help (and pretty much had to drag me there kicking and screaming, despite the fact it was less than a quarter mile from my house), and the other on the off chance there was something clever and unique about it that I couldn't tell without hunting it, and I was in the immediate area anyway, so what the heck.

I'll likely log two more in the near future, both strictly because some friends who have found them are concerned that one might be considered offensive in it's placement to certain individuals, and the other potentially illegal, and are bugging me to go find them because they want my opinion on the subject. Other than that, I'd have no real reason to hunt either one, despite the fact that I walk right past one of them nearly every day.

skydiver-sig.gif

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

quote:
Originally posted by skydiver:

Strange how you would bring up my own post for what at the time (almost a year ago), was the very first micro cache in this area, and was therefore very clever and unique. I stand by my words, for when I found that cache, it WAS a unique and clever hide in a unique and clever location. Unfortunately, that particular fun idea has been beaten into the ground by those that think every piece of metal to stick a magnet to qualifies as 'unique' and 'clever' all over again.

And there's the problem - you don't consider the newer caches clever but others, including new geocachers, do find them so. Read the logs. Just because you are bored with them doesn't mean everyone else is.

Perhaps you could let others enjoy geocaching their way, rather than denigrate their preferences on the forums.

Ron/yumitori

Since it is pick on Skydiver day I thought I'd pick apart his post:

quote:
I was in the immediate area anyway, so what the heck.

...and later...

despite the fact that I walk right past one of them nearly every day.

How immediate an area does it have to be to fall into the what the heck category.

Just havin a little fun!