Uploaded geocaches not showing on map?

This is a real mystery to me.

I just spent quite a while uploading geocaches to my Garmin eTrex 20, then after disconnecting it and turning it on, I deleted the track and trip records. I then turned it off and reattached it to my laptop to add a few more caches. When I then turned it back on again, none of the older uploaded caches were visible or findable on the screen, just the new ones, despite the GPX files still being on the GPS. This has happened once or twice before now as well since I had to switch to Internet Explorer after Firefox stopped working for Garmin a couple of months back. I don't know what exactly is causing it to stop showing the geocaches it has loaded into it!

I've ignored it in the months till now as I mostly hunt for geocaches using my phone but I'm currently abroad so this is a real pain in the backside!

I don't understand what's happening here; can anyone help?

This sounds like the GPX indexing problem that has plagued many Garmin handhelds. The fix is pretty simple. Remove the .GPX files (or rename them to .SAV instead of .GPX). Then boot up your etrex without the GPX files. Now reinstate the files (by copying them back in or renaming them back to .GPX) and boot again. This will force the device to reindex the files.

If you have your GPX files on SD card, you can do this procedure by removing the card, Boot without card, shut down and reinsert the card and boot again.

Edited by alandb

Also make sure you are not exceeding any limits. https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-GB/faq/content/Sf7jHKwP2V53j6MoP8AeH8

Sounds like you are still using the "send to GPS" button. You really should switch to another method as that has quite a few issues. You can see the instructions for its replacement here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=343784

Edited by Red90