Only one Giga-event at a time?

KBLAST

I overheard someone talking the other day about giga-events and heard something that surprised me. I went to check the rules myself and sure enough, it's there:

7. Only one Giga-Event can take place at a time worldwide. (Here is the link)

I assume this is so that Groundspeak can focus its resources on one specific place, but if the determination of a Giga is having 5000+ in attendance, and two events happen to have that and happen to have been listed for the same date, I guess that just seems like a weird stipulation to me.

Anyone else have any thoughts or clarification?

I assume this is so that Groundspeak can focus its resources on one specific place, but if the determination of a Giga is having 5000+ in attendance, and two events happen to have that and happen to have been listed for the same date, I guess that just seems like a weird stipulation to me.

I think you're assuming that any event which gets 5000+ attendees becomes a Giga, that's not the case. An event is only a Giga if it's published as such in the first place, a regular/Mega event can't be "upgraded" to Giga just because it had over 5000 attendees.

I think you're assuming that any event which gets 5000+ attendees becomes a Giga, that's not the case. An event is only a Giga if it's published as such in the first place, a regular/Mega event can't be "upgraded" to Giga just because it had over 5000 attendees.

I get what you're saying, and I can see why you'd think that. But mostly I'm looking at the definition of a Giga (same page link I gave earlier): "A Giga-Event Cache is a geocaching event that is attended by 5000+ people. Giga-Events are the largest of the Event Cache types and feature excellent activities for geocachers attending from all over the world."

I guess I can see a case where two of these might happen to land on the same date in opposite parts of the world. I just wonder why there can't be more than 1 at a time.

I just wonder why there can't be more than 1 at a time.

Most probably to avoid that several Events compete with each other... in the line of the Mega Events rule that also try to avoid it, altough not forbidden the occurence of more than one at a time.

They are very rare and attract geocachers from all over the world, just like the APE Caches do.

I think you're assuming that any event which gets 5000+ attendees becomes a Giga, that's not the case.

Interesting. I was going to dispute your claim, but then I found this in the Help Center:

Can an event get Giga status retroactively?

Unfortunately, no. However, if the event had enough attendees in previous years to be eligible for Giga status, it might be able to get Giga status for the next iteration of the event.

I don't understand why they would have this rule, and the lack of any explanation is curious. A regular Event can be retroactively upgraded to a Mega, so why not a Mega to a Giga? The refusal to retroactively upgrade seems to be at odds with the first section in that article:

Why was the Giga-Event cache type created?

Hosting a geocaching event for 5000+ people is an incredible undertaking! We wanted to acknowledge and show appreciation for the event organizers and attendees by distinguish these unique experiences with a special event type.

Together, these seem to translate to something like, "We cannot officially acknowledge that your Mega event had over 5000 attendees this year. If you're able to repeat that feat next year, we'll then be able to officially acknowledge and appreciate your efforts. Better luck next time."

Edited by The A-Team

I think you're assuming that any event which gets 5000+ attendees becomes a Giga, that's not the case.

Interesting. I was going to dispute your claim, but then I found this in the Help Center:

Can an event get Giga status retroactively?

Unfortunately, no. However, if the event had enough attendees in previous years to be eligible for Giga status, it might be able to get Giga status for the next iteration of the event.

I don't understand why they would have this rule, and the lack of any explanation is curious. A regular Event can be retroactively upgraded to a Mega, so why not a Mega to a Giga? The refusal to retroactively upgrade seems to be at odds with the first section in that article:

Why was the Giga-Event cache type created?

Hosting a geocaching event for 5000+ people is an incredible undertaking! We wanted to acknowledge and show appreciation for the event organizers and attendees by distinguish these unique experiences with a special event type.

Together, these seem to translate to something like, "We cannot officially acknowledge that your Mega event had over 5000 attendees this year. If you're able to repeat that feat next year, we'll then be able to officially acknowledge and appreciate your efforts. Better luck next time."

I hate to find myself in the uncomfortable position of defending Groundspeak, but suppose cachers that have the means make it a point to attend as many Giga Events as possible. They take great pride in their very high participation percentage. Now the occasional Mega gets published that turns out to be quite a bit more popular than anticipated. Awarding Giga status retroactively would deny a diehard Giga fan the opportunity to have made it a point to be there.

A regular Event can be retroactively upgraded to a Mega, so why not a Mega to a Giga?

Don't think so, it used to be the case but that was changed a few years ago. To be a Mega you have to have a history to show that the reglar event has previously attracted 500+ attendees, and then the next occurence of the event you submit can be awarded Mega status; but a regular event which has already happened will not be upgraded to Mega retrospectively. So exactly the same as the Giga status, though it's not explained quite so clearly in the help centre article.

A regular Event can be retroactively upgraded to a Mega, so why not a Mega to a Giga?

Don't think so, it used to be the case but that was changed a few years ago. To be a Mega you have to have a history to show that the reglar event has previously attracted 500+ attendees, and then the next occurence of the event you submit can be awarded Mega status; but a regular event which has already happened will not be upgraded to Mega retrospectively. So exactly the same as the Giga status, though it's not explained quite so clearly in the help centre article.

How did the first Giga event get Giga status?

Both Giga and Mega status are awarded PRIOR to the event, not retroactively.

Their respective Help Center articles make this clear.

At some time, there could be 2 events able to attract 5000 attendees on the same weekend, far enough apart not to compete with each other.

Currently, I believe all Giga events have been in western Europe. Two Giga in western Europe on the same weekend would compete for attendees.

Hey everyone! If you read the Help Center articles it's clear that retroactive Megas and Gigas don't happen (at least not anymore).

My only reason for bringing up this topic is the possibility that there could be amazing events that could draw a crowd of 5000+ in both Western Europe AND in the US (for instance). The reason I even found out about this rule is because GeoWoodstock will be near me next year (in Cincinnati, OH). There is also an amazing looking event happening in Germany the same day next year. Both events are coming up on 1000 will attends already. I'm not saying either will get to the prerequisite 3000 will attends that are mentioned in the Help Center, but it just seems unfair that one may get the shaft due to the only one per day rule.

I just hope that if both meet all other requirements for a giga, Groundspeak will reconsider this particular rule. FWIW I agree that gigas should be rare and special (like the ape caches), but two amazing events coincidentally happening on opposite sides of the world on the same date shouldn't be the reason one is denied. (imho)

At some time, there could be 2 events able to attract 5000 attendees on the same weekend, far enough apart not to compete with each other.

Currently, I believe all Giga events have been in western Europe. Two Giga in western Europe on the same weekend would compete for attendees.

I am not even sure that the last block party cleared 5000 TRUE attendees. If that can't pull it off then there is no hope in the U.S.

I am not even sure that the last block party cleared 5000 TRUE attendees. If that can't pull it off then there is no hope in the U.S.

Yep, only 2559 attendees. If you count kids as not having logged, I'll raise you a 1000.. and we'd still be quite short.

Point is, it isn't happening here in the states anytime soon so any concern is not warranted, at least here in the U.S.

Giga is an international event. No point in having them compete.

Retroactive upgrading of events does have issues with verification. Known Megas are usually attended by at least one Reviewer. I suspect Groundspeak wants more of a presence at a Giga.

Yep, only 2559 attendees. If you count kids as not having logged, I'll raise you a 1000.. and we'd still be quite short.

Point is, it isn't happening here in the states anytime soon so any concern is not warranted, at least here in the U.S.

My point is that it might happen sometime somewhere. It may not be GeoWoodstock. It may not ever happen. I am only bringing it up because if it were to happen, I hope this rule doesn't get followed.

I think the block party argument is a bit arrogant. I understand how special it was and BOY did I want to go, but it was just too much money and too dang far up there in the northwest. That's the reason I can't go to the APE cache event (even though I desperately want to), too much money. 60% of the US population lives within 600 miles of Ohio (link). I think there's a possibility. Again - I'm not saying it will happen - I'm saying that if it does, this rule is a problem.

Giga is an international event. No point in having them compete.

That's based on the premise that simultaneous events would be competing with each other. Imagine simultaneous events occurring in Europe, the east and west coast of the US and in Australia with live video streams at each event. It could be like Earth Day which has simultaneous events all over the world. It could be held on, I don't know, maybe International Geocaching Day.

That's based on the premise that simultaneous events would be competing with each other. Imagine simultaneous events occurring in Europe, the east and west coast of the US and in Australia with live video streams at each event. It could be like Earth Day which has simultaneous events all over the world. It could be held on, I don't know, maybe International Geocaching Day.

This is exactly the concept of the World Wide Flash Mob events.