New eTrex 20x won't load mass storage maps

Hi all, I just purchased a new Garmin eTrex 20x with an SD card. I have registered the product with Garmin and the Garmin's built-in memory and SD card both appear in my directory. When loading a gmapsupp.img file the Garmin will detect and load the map when saved to its built-in memory but not the mass storage. I've created the directory "Garmin" in the SD card as I have read I should, and placed the file there but it will not load, even when I have it in mass storage mode. I can't seem to find help with this problem anywhere. Any tips??

Edited by Ptumbleweed

Hi all, I just purchased a new Garmin eTrex 20x with an SD card. I have registered the product with Garmin and the Garmin's built-in memory and SD card both appear in my directory. When loading a gmapsupp.img file the Garmin will detect and load the map when saved to its built-in memory but not the mass storage. I've created the directory "Garmin" in the SD card as I have read I should, and placed the file there but it will not load, even when I have it in mass storage mode. I can't seem to find help with this problem anywhere. Any tips??

uSD card must be formatted FAT32, not exFAT

Edited by Atlas Cached

Also make sure there is a GARMIN directory on your SD card, and that maps are placed in that directory. The structure of the SD card mimics the folder structure of the GPS device with the GARMIN folder at the top and everything else within. Maps go directly in the GARMIN directory, gpx files (geocaches, etc.) go in the GPX folder inside the GARMIN folder, and so forth.

uSD card nust be formatted FAT32, not exFAT

Excellent, it worked! Thank you very much. As a follow-up question I see that Garmin does not recommend uSD cards larger that 32 GB be used, although I have purchased a 64 GB card. Will I encounter problems using this card?

uSD card nust be formatted FAT32, not exFAT

Excellent, it worked! Thank you very much. As a follow-up question I see that Garmin does not recommend uSD cards larger that 32 GB be used, although I have purchased a 64 GB card. Will I encounter problems using this card?

I have used cards as large as 128GB in my units without issue.

Edited by Atlas Cached

Hello, by mass storage I think you are referring to the SD card.

On your SD card create a GARMIN folder. Underneath the GARMIN folder create a GPX folder.

Now, store map file in the GARMIN folder alongside the GPX folder. Also, when you have a .gpx file to load, store in in the GPX folder.

If you put the map file anyplace else, it will not show up or load.

When your GPS is turned on and looking at maps, hit the menu key and you can see if the new map file you loaded is enabled. If not enable it.

Using the SD card is smart and potentially keeps corrupted files away from your GPS. Last bit of caution, wait for the confirmation when you download files to the GPS. I had a habit of clicking before the file is fully downloaded causing problems like the GPS shutting off I when tried I turned it on. Good luck, hope this helps. Peoria Bill :>)

Where the problem exists is that Windows will not format a card larger than 32 GB as FAT32. You need to use a 3rd party program to do the formatting.

Where the problem exists is that Windows will not format a card larger than 32 GB as FAT32. You need to use a 3rd party program to do the formatting.

I see, good to know, and thank you.