Release Notes (Geocaching.com and Geocaching® app for iOS)

For those using the iOS app, does the app still work as described in these Release Notes?

Previously, on the general map all caches where at their *posted coordinates*.

When I did a query, caches where at their *corrected coordinates*.

Seems like this is how the website is working now, but with the added ability to determine which caches have corrected coords or not (via the puzzle icon). I actually don't mind the way the website is working right now, even though it's not working the way it's supposed to based on the Release Notes.

Seems like this is how the website is working now, but with the added ability to determine which caches have corrected coords or not (via the puzzle icon).

I cannot confirm this. When browsing the map (via the menu link, not via search results!), I see puzzle caches with corrected coordinates at the uncorrected position, and with ordinary "?" icons.

Seems like this is how the website is working now, but with the added ability to determine which caches have corrected coords or not (via the puzzle icon).

I cannot confirm this. When browsing the map (via the menu link, not via search results!), I see puzzle caches with corrected coordinates at the uncorrected position, and with ordinary "?" icons.

When I said "seems like this is how the website is working now", I was referring to the way famerlor_dragon said it worked - see their quote directly above my comment that you quoted. You're taking my quote out of context.

When I said "seems like this is how the website is working now", I was referring to the way famerlor_dragon said it worked - see their quote directly above my comment that you quoted. You're taking my quote out of context.

Huh? Anyway, just to clarify: You said

Seems like this is how the website is working now, but with the added ability to determine which caches have corrected coords or not (via the puzzle icon)
(emphasis by me).

All I wanted say is that the emphasized part is not what I see. As it is now, I do not have the ability to see which caches have corrected coordinates, because all caches are shown with their standard icon. This a bug, which was apparently introduced in the last 24 hours.

Sorry for the confusion!

The puzzle icon is currently NOT working from the map if navigated to by using the Play/View Geocache Map. It (the new search) has always displayed solved puzzles at the corrected coords when the map is viewed using the search feature. If you did a search and added a filter "Has Corrected Coordinates/Yes" then viewed the results as a map (Map these Geocaches button), the pins will show in the corrected position. This is a very useful feature. If you'll notice, the list of caches even displays the puzzle piece in the top left of the icon which is exactly what some users are asking for. Perhaps this and a toggle button are being worked on as we speak for the map display.

Huh? Anyway, just to clarify: You said

Seems like this is how the website is working now, but with the added ability to determine which caches have corrected coords or not (via the puzzle icon)
(emphasis by me).

All I wanted say is that the emphasized part is not what I see. As it is now, I do not have the ability to see which caches have corrected coordinates, because all caches are shown with their standard icon. This a bug, which was apparently introduced in the last 24 hours.

Sorry for the confusion!

No worries. It was confusing because the behavior you were seeing (blue bolded above) matched what I was describing. The browsing map showed solved caches at posted coords, with question/multi icons. It was when mapping Search Results that cache icons appeared at corrected coords, which is how it's worked for a long while, but with the puzzle icon to identify which caches had corrected coords or not (puzzle icon). The puzzle icon was just in the Search Results map, not the Browsing map. Guess that last line was the confusing bit.

Anyway - a bit of a moot point now, since the feature seems to be working again. :D

Edited by noncentric

Release Notes (Geocaching.com and Geocaching® app for iOS) - June 29, 2017

With this release, we have updated the functionality around displaying geocaches with solved coordinates. Now, all caches with solved coordinates will display on the map at those coordinates when solved but unfound.

Today I ran into another issue with not seeing the solved ones at the original header coords :( I need to find 10 caches places IN a river to meet the requirements for a challenge. Now that's completely tough and the only solution I came up with so far is to set up another account with zero logs an no corrected coords. That way I can again find them at the "original" spot. Just missing PMOs then :(

The other issue I still have is not seeing the type of the cache any longer. I would so much prefer having the option to show corrected coords or not!

Thanks,

Christian

What I would like to see on the app, is a setting so the direction of travel is "up", like one can do with a GPS. I'm always flipping the screen around to figure out where I'm going. Granted, I use a GPS most of the time, but do use the app from time-to-time.

Edited by GrateBear

What I would like to see on the app, is a setting so the direction of travel is "up", like one can do with a GPS. I'm always flipping the screen around to figure out where I'm going. Granted, I use a GPS most of the time, but do use the app from time-to-time.

I'm pretty sure that the app already accommodates this, using the target/compass icon at the top right on the map view. See HERE.

I'm pretty sure that the app already accommodates this, using the target/compass icon at the top right on the map view. See HERE.

Yes, the compass does, but does not show the map. I may be missing something, and there may be a way, but if so, I haven't found it yet.

Yes, the compass does, but does not show the map. I may be missing something, and there may be a way, but if so, I haven't found it yet.

I didn't mean the full-screen compass when you're navigating to the cache. I meant the target/compass/bullseye/etc icon when navigating on the map screen. The icon is on the map part of the screen, upper left on iPhone and upper right on Android.

Looks like the Help Center link I posted earlier was incomplete. I was trying to reference the "Center map and swivel mode" section on the "1.2 Navigating to a geocache" page.

I didn't mean the full-screen compass when you're navigating to the cache. I meant the target/compass/bullseye/etc icon when navigating on the map screen. The icon is on the map part of the screen, upper left on iPhone and upper right on Android.

Looks like the Help Center link I posted earlier was incomplete. I was trying to reference the "Center map and swivel mode" section on the "1.2 Navigating to a geocache" page.

Thanks for the tips! Found the way to get to "maps" and that does map in direction traveling/turns/distance. Works like a charm!