Remove "dead" TBs from inventory?

Team Grumblecakes

Touchstone's link to the Help Center is a good option. :)

It doesn't "delete" them, but gets them off your inventory.

Curious, did you lose them?

By records, none have ever left your possession.

Mark 'em missing, like you did for Pole2Pole.

I should do that too, coins I never did anything with. :)

I gave them to someone traveling to Antarctica to drop off in a cache, but they never made it to their first stop.

I gave them to someone traveling to Antarctica to drop off in a cache, but they never made it to their first stop.

Ouch !

Hopefully wasn't someone you knew well.

The other 2/3rds lost half the coins she sent out at the first caches placed. Not much further.

Interesting to read the following in the Help Center article that Touchstone linked:

A trackable will automatically be moved to an Unknown Location if all three conditions are true:

The trackable has been in the same geocache for more than one year.

The trackable has not been logged as "Discovered" in more than one year.

There have been at least four finds on different days on the geocache in which the trackable is located.

Does anyone know when this automatic action was started? I've searched the forums and it sounds like maybe mid-2016, but I'm not finding an official announcement. Not sure if there was one? I had no idea until clicking on the link in this thread that this type of functionality was in place.

There is a Cache in my local area that shows a TB in the inventory since 2015. The TB owner has not been active since early 2016 and neither has the Cache owner. How would we get this TB removed? Can it only be done by the TB or Cache owner? I was under the impression it would automatically be removed to "unknown location" after 1 year but that hasn't happened either.

Edited by Oceanreign
6 hours ago, Oceanreign said:

There is a Cache in my local area that shows a TB in the inventory since 2015. The TB owner has not been active since early 2016 and neither has the Cache owner. How would we get this TB removed? Can it only be done by the TB or Cache owner? I was under the impression it would automatically be removed to "unknown location" after 1 year but that hasn't happened either.

Just leave it as is. Nocacher corrects any other log errors on other people's TBs, and there are a lot of mishandled TBs and log errors. The stolen unlogged TB is another mishandling of the TB. The CO and the TB Owner are waiting for a real log. It's their business. Let it be.  As mentioned, TBs automatically evaporate now, by fiat.

Or, contact Groundspeak. They can perform the ultimate magic: Making it vanish from the list. Thieves wait til it's Marked Missing, so they know “they can keep it since the Owner gave up”.  Groundspeak can now sell another TB.  More TBs can now be unwittingly placed into that same black hole of a cache.  And the rest of us cooperated in the theft, by hiding the evidence. Everybody wins.  :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion
On 7/6/2017 at 10:07 PM, noncentric said:

Does anyone know when this automatic action was started? I've searched the forums and it sounds like maybe mid-2016, but I'm not finding an official announcement. Not sure if there was one? I had no idea until clicking on the link in this thread that this type of functionality was in place.

Kinda like the lock feature, it just showed up one day.:) 

9 hours ago, Oceanreign said:

If it's the one with two other "missing" trackables in that cache, I'd probably email one of the Reviewers in our area (they'll handle these sometimes), HQ, or maybe Eartha in the forums.

The trackables may not trigger that auto-action thing, possibly because of inaccurate logging.

- On a side, we've noticed that there are quite a few inaccurate logs, and when we look, it's often someone who "took it to" a gazillion places that created the issue.

Maybe with all those "visits", they simply forgot which cache  they actually dropped it into.  Or, just as possible they haven't even had it in their possession for some time (just using the code) and lost it months earlier.

There was a thread a while ago, where someone was simply looking to get a missing trackable belonging to another  off their inventory by dumping it in a cache ...

Edited by cerberus1
claraflation
On 7/6/2017 at 10:07 PM, noncentric said:

Interesting to read the following in the Help Center article that Touchstone linked:

A trackable will automatically be moved to an Unknown Location if all three conditions are true:

The trackable has been in the same geocache for more than one year.

The trackable has not been logged as "Discovered" in more than one year.

There have been at least four finds on different days on the geocache in which the trackable is located.

Interesting.  Hopefully folks keep discovering our coin at Barney Smith's Toilet Seat Museum -- otherwise it would potentially get caught up and marked missing.

Okay.  Here's a TB that was placed in a cache in 2003.  S's Car  And not seen since.

The TB owner has been inactive since 2003.  The cache owner has basically been inactive since 2003.  But it was a great cache, and lived on.  The cache was archived in 7/2016 for being in a state park without a permit,  Though nobody, except GS, realizes that there is a state park there.  No facilities, no signs, no parking lot.  (Okay.  The listed parking is not in or very near the state park.)  TB is still listed in the archived cache, fourteen years later.  

8 minutes ago, Keystone said:

I fixed the travel bug problem for you, Harry Dolphin.

You'll have to complain to the New Jersey State Parks regarding the accuracy of the GIS map file data they've provided for use by Community Volunteer Reviewers.

Oh, Keystone, it wasn't a problem.  I thought it quite humorous.  A TB missing for fourteen years.  

As to Farny State Park:  Equally humorous.  I wasn't sure that the state government remembered it is a state park.  What does Farny State Park have to offer?  Trees.  That's about it.  More trees.  I'm surprised the state has a GIS map for it.  Oh, and the Four Birds Trail, maintained by the NYNJTC.

Ah, well.  You archived something that amused me.  Guess I shouldn't have brought it up.  

12 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

As to Farny State Park:  Equally humorous.  I wasn't sure that the state government remembered it is a state park.  What does Farny State Park have to offer?  Trees.  That's about it.  More trees.  I'm surprised the state has a GIS map for it.  Oh, and the Four Birds Trail, maintained by the NYNJTC.

We've got a couple of properties in my neck of the woods that show up on the map as "parks."  They have no signs or facilities, but they're under the jurisdiction of the parks department, and placing a cache there would require a park permit.  I think at least one of them was picked up by the city to protect an archaeological site that's listed on the national historic register with the same name but with the address hidden.  That's of course speculation, since the only thing I know for sure is that I asked to place a cache on one of them and never heard back.