PEOPLE BIT&*#&IN ABOUT CACHES

Syn

I am just curious if others ever feel this way. You go through all of the trouble of putting a cache out, and there is always someone that bit*&&*# about it. I am actually considering changing all of my caches to members only and putting big capital letters, IF YOU HUNT THIS CACHE, THEN DONT WHINE ABOUT IT.

I am getting sick of people that whine about caches almost as much of being sick as whining about people that whine about people that whine.

Just had to get that off my chest.

I like a little cheese with my whine.

But I know what yer saying. Personally I find myself unable to do most of the puzzle caches. But that's my problem not anyone else's fault. My half years resolution is to not freak out as much. Caches are different and thanks for that or we would all be experiencing deja vu at an alarming rate.

quote:
Originally posted by Syn:

I am just curious if others ever feel this way. You go through all of the trouble of putting a cache out, and there is always someone that bit*&&*# about it.

I've done only one of your caches, Porsche, but out of curiosity what prompts people to complain about them?

Logs are for describing the experience. If the experience is bad what does that tell us?

quote:
Originally posted by Sassquatch:

Caches are different and thanks for that or we would all be experiencing deja vu at an alarming rate.

True enough but what bothers me are the "...oh, no, here's another one in the brush..." types. You know, the low-quality caches that took little effort to hide, use a cheap container that will leak in the first rain, are in a dumb place, have sloppy coordinates & inaccurate ratings, feature a "cute" but worthless hint, and are unlikely to be maintained. I can do without that kind of deja vu and I sometimes feel obliged to comment on them.

Interesting, creative, thoughtful, difficult caches are another matter, of course. We need more of those.

quote:
Originally posted by Syn:

I am just curious if others ever feel this way. You go through all of the trouble of putting a cache out, and there is always someone that bit*&&*# about it. I am actually considering changing all of my caches to members only and putting big capital letters, IF YOU HUNT THIS CACHE, THEN DONT WHINE ABOUT IT.

I am getting sick of people that whine about caches almost as much of being sick as whining about people that whine about people that whine.

Just had to get that off my chest.

Well, I guess it depends on why folks are whining, Syn. I've only done one of your caches,Rainbow Kisser, but at the time the math for the coordinates was off, and it took awhile before you got around to fixing it. Fortunately for us, we weren't the first ones to try for it so we benefited from the difficulties the previous hunters went through.

Ron/yumitori

If the coords are off the hints are crazy poems and I spend 2 hours on 1 1/2 rated difficulty cache.....well someone is going to hear about it! That's what the logs are for good or bad I have to log my thoughts. icon_biggrin.gif

Did you know that the base of my wine glass fits perfectly into a family size tomato soup can?

Personally, I miss the days when we first started caching (only a year ago). When we first started, geocaches seemed like solid containers that could withstand years of sitting in the wild (ammo cans, locked boxes, and PVC tubes). Locations seemed to have been given a lot of thought before being placed & often times took us to new and interesting places. It seems as more and more people get involved, the mentality of cheaper, throw away caches (tupperware, laundry detergent buckets, and old yogurt containers) thrown out the window while driving by at 60 miles an hour, on a lunch break are becoming more and more frequent. There's been a number of times that I've gone and hunted new caches, because you never know how long they're going to stay around. I remember being excited to find that there were 5 caches w/in a mile of our house... now there's almost 30. Part of it is just the evolution of the game, but another part of me wishes that people would start taking more pride in placing & give it the extra effort it might take.

That being said, I've done some of Syn's caches, and I haven't found anything wrong with them. There's such a thing as constructive critisism which helps people improve upon themselves, but too often I think people online feel the need to exercise their right to tear other people down. This only serves to frustrate people, instigate arguments, and make Syn threaten to turn all of his caches to member only so that Team Joyson can't hunt them without paying $3.

Just my 2 cents...

Jason of JOYSON

"And then Trogdor smote the Kerrek, and all was laid to burnination."

only caches that bug me are the ones that the parking is harder to find than the cache and ones where coordinates are beyond being off. Most caches I have done have been pretty good and I have only come across less than 5 that one would call junk. That's a .03%

There was a young maid from Madras

Who had a magnificent a$$;

Not rounded and pink,

As you probably think---

It was grey, had long ears, and ate grass.

SYN,,

I wouldn't worry too much about people *****ing about caches. I've seen people ***** about almost anything. It seems that when something is free is when you get to most *****es. I was on a commette that orginized company social activites. You wouldn't believe that complaints I got. I arranged a company paid dinner curse on the sturnwheeler at Christmas time. I had one couple kick up a big ruckus because their religion didn't allow celebration of Christmas and wanted to be paid the same amount it was costing the company per employee for the curse. The next year we didn't refer to the event with anything associated with Christmas. Got complaints about that.

I saw complaint about a cache a year or so ago. The rating for terian was 1. You had a very easy .5 mile walk. The trail could even handle a wheelchair. Somebody tried to make a big deal and thought the rating should be 2 to 2.5 because they had to walk .5 miles on a level, good surface trail.

My point, no matter what you do, or how you do it, when there's a large number of people involved there will be complaints. It's just a fact of life. If the complaints have no value then forget them.

My motto.... Let um *****. I can delete their ***** if I want to.

Byron

quote:
Originally posted by Byron & Anne:

You wouldn't believe that complaints I got. I arranged a company paid dinner curse on the sturnwheeler at Christmas time.

I'd complain about a curse, too! icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Byron & Anne: I saw complaint about a cache a year or so ago. The rating for terian was 1. You had a very easy .5 mile walk. The trail could even handle a wheelchair. Somebody tried to make a big deal and thought the rating should be 2 to 2.5 because they had to walk .5 miles on a level, good surface trail.

I see many caches rated one for terrain when they should probably be 1.5, 2 or even 2.5--consistent with the Geocache Rating System guidelines--especially when the trail is unpaved or the cache is hidden well off the trail. I get the feeling some people simply forget to rate it and the default 1/1 is assigned, or they apply a "local" standard that a visitor is unaware of. This makes the rating less useful for judging what caches to hunt. It is easy enough to follow the rating system and I appreciate it when people do.

Random complaints are to be expected. Hey, you can't please everybody. But if you get a number of negative comments about a cache, then doesn't that tell you there needs to be some adjustment to the cache?

19973_600.gif

The adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

Well actually no... I have not noticed any complaints in my cache logs. I receive a dozen or so a week on my caches, most are very fun to read and tell of folks enjoying my hiding efforts. I also quite often read random logs of caches I have done, or that simply sound fun. And I honestly cannot say that I have noticed any real b****ing anywhere except here in these forums. True there is the occasional boring entry, and the *I had slightly different coordinates* entry, but b****ing no, maybe it is much like beauty... Hmmmm kinda makes ya think don't it...

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

**Namaste**

AHHHHH YES.. icon_mad.gif the always-have-to-take-a-jabby-*****-in-the-log cacher. I am convinced that there are just some folks who are never truly happy with anything. It makes you wonder why they continue caching. And I feel sorry for their kids, if they have any. I can look back through our logs, but I honestly don't think we have ever sought a cache that didn't have some positive about it. Even the fact that someone took the trouble of putting together a container and posting coordinates to it, is a positive in my book. But you icon_rolleyes.gif just can't make some folks happy, so why try?

WARNING: I cannot be responsible for the above, as apparently my cats have learned how to type.