Disney Cruise At Sea Event

Our family is headed to the Bahamas on the Disney Dream Aug 7-11, 2017. Has anyone ever sponsored a meet and great event on a cruise before? We thought it would be a great idea to get cachers together onboard before we reach the first port Tuesday morning, possibly Monday evening after we set sail. That way we can discuss geocaches in Nassau folks may like to team up and find.

Marty Beck

Geocaching "BoomerBuckeyes"

Unfortunately, such "private parties" onboard the ship would violate the Commercial portion of the Guidelines, as the only ones that could attend are paying passengers.

You might try arranging some Events at the ports you pull into?

Thanks for the feedback. Is it not the same as the geocaching cruises? Or maybe they don't host official events on board possibly?

Alternatively, you could organise an event around 12 noon or 1pm on the day of departure, somewhere near the cruise terminal. That would allow cruisers to meet up before checking in and would also allow non-cruisers to attend as well.

This. But not inside the cruise terminal either as other people would not be able to access this location.

Alternatively, you could organise an event around 12 noon or 1pm on the day of departure, somewhere near the cruise terminal. That would allow cruisers to meet up before checking in and would also allow non-cruisers to attend as well.

I tried to hold an event near an airport - wasn't approved as there's a restriction of certain locations due to terrorism etc... not sure if that was just the local reviewer or a GS wide restriction.

Unfortunately, such "private parties" onboard the ship would violate the Commercial portion of the Guidelines, as the only ones that could attend are paying passengers.

You might try arranging some Events at the ports you pull into?

Thanks for the feedback. Is it not the same as the geocaching cruises? Or maybe they don't host official events on board possibly?

I've seen cruises and tour packages advertised for geocachers. I don't think they're official, and I doubt that they would be officially sanctioned to host an event cache on the boat unless they were actually partnered with Groundspeak (that is, paying).

I've seen cruises and tour packages advertised for geocachers. I don't think they're official, and I doubt that they would be officially sanctioned to host an event cache on the boat unless they were actually partnered with Groundspeak (that is, paying).

Regardless of the sanctioning or commercial issues, you'd have a coordinate issue. That is, it would be nearly impossible to pin down exactly where the ship will be at the specific time of the event, especially more than two weeks in advance. Moving caches aren't allowed, so I'd have to assume that extends to events too.

Of course, there's nothing stopping geocachers from getting together on a cruise ship. It just can't be listed as an Event on geocaching.com.

Regardless of the sanctioning or commercial issues, you'd have a coordinate issue. That is, it would be nearly impossible to pin down exactly where the ship will be at the specific time of the event, especially more than two weeks in advance. Moving caches aren't allowed, so I'd have to assume that extends to events too.

And of course there's that -- thanks, Heisenberg. :laughing: Unless it was to be a 1-second event, projecting the ship's location at that time...

Well, you've already found at least one other caching family as we'll be on the same exact cruise! Not sure how much Nassau caching we'll be able to do as we'll have little ones in tow, but at the very least we'd like to make a run at the cache on Castaway Cay.

Well, you've already found at least one other caching family as we'll be on the same exact cruise! Not sure how much Nassau caching we'll be able to do as we'll have little ones in tow, but at the very least we'd like to make a run at the cache on Castaway Cay.

There's a cache on Castaway Cay? I would have assumed that to be private property, owned by Disney. I know that there are a few virtuals on Disney property in Florida but I wonder how a traditional every got published.