Geocaching live broken on my Oregon 750t

Hi all,

had some great experiences with the new geocaching live feature on my Oregon 750t, worked very well until yesterday... When I tried to refresh the list of caches, nothing happened, I only get the running circle in the middle of the screen and no data seems to be retrieved. Connection to the smartphone is ok, I receive push notifications on the GPS from the smartphone. I also repaired the GPS with the smartphone, but had no luck...

Hope someone from the community can help me out!

Greetings from Switzerland

PappaStern from the 5SternenSucher

had some great experiences with the new geocaching live feature on my Oregon 750t, worked very well until yesterday... When I tried to refresh the list of caches, nothing happened, I only get the running circle in the middle of the screen and no data seems to be retrieved. Connection to the smartphone is ok, I receive push notifications on the GPS from the smartphone. I also repaired the GPS with the smartphone, but had no luck...

Same here! Worked perfectly via Bluetooth and hotspot. Now it only works on the Wi-Fi at home. I've no idea what caused this problem. Maybe an update of the garmin-firmware?

thanks, Kees

Hi all,

I just tested my 750t and am experiencing the same phenomenon.... No GCLive functioning via Smart Phone Bluetooth Link.

Same problem for me as well. Needed it in the field yesterday and it just didn't work although i still got push notifications.

Hi all,

I just tested my 750t and am experiencing the same phenomenon.... No GCLive functioning via Smart Phone Bluetooth Link.

1498642832[/url]' post='5663163']

Hi all,

I went one step further and unregistered my Oregon 700 and when I tried to reregister it hung on getting activation code. Something is very broken on the Groundspeak side I believe

Did you open a support incident with either Garmin or Groundspeak?

I have with Garmin, and they are asking the typical standard questions (firmware version, android version, etc.) with no indication they are actually looking at the issue yet.

Edited by Atlas Cached

I've had the same problem for a few weeks too. Just unregistered and re-registered, but now the Garmin Connect app on my phone quits each time I try to sync caches. I also talked to Garmin and they were unaware of any issues, but said that they would research more tonight. As a Garmin dealer I'm a little frustrated. Rebooting phone now to see if this helps...

5 hours ago, Lookout Lisa said:

I've had the same problem for a few weeks too. Just unregistered and re-registered, but now the Garmin Connect app on my phone quits each time I try to sync caches. I also talked to Garmin and they were unaware of any issues, but said that they would research more tonight. As a Garmin dealer I'm a little frustrated. Rebooting phone now to see if this helps...

Are you using Android or iOS?

On 7/19/2017 at 1:38 AM, Lookout Lisa said:

If I try to use the bluetooth connection to sync caches my Garmin Connect app also crashes (regular sync does work correct, so only not the tethering with internet connectivity). If I use the mobile hotspot via my phone and wifi on oregon 750 it works.

On 7/12/2017 at 8:54 PM, Atlas Cached said:

OK Everyone, UNREGISTER your device in Setup > Geocaching, then re-register it again like the first time.... Resolved the issue for me, this time.

Unfortunately, this only works over Wi-Fi, still inoperative via Bluetooth connection to Android phone with Garmin Connect.

Mine works OK over wi-fi at home, but not out in the field over bluetooth, which is where it's needed. Tried getting help from Garmin but they just sent me a set of cut and paste instructions from their website about how to pair devices using bluetooth.The pairing is OK because I can receive text message notifications on the Oregon.  I'm beginning to regret buying the Oregon 700. I could have got a cheaper model without the geocaching live facility if this isn't going to work. My phone is android Moto G (2nd gen).

I'm having the same problem as everyone else here.. I chatted with Tech Support last week and they had me try everything you can think of.. Restarts, reinstalls etc..  Still wont hand off caches from phone to device.. Emails come through so I know it's connected.. I'm going to contact them today and show them this thread.. 

Do you folks think it's a Garmin issue or a Geocaching.com issue?

Joe

I've contacted Garmin Support and provided the thread here and indicated it's not an individual user problem, it's all users.  I also emailed Geocaching.com and though they don't directly support GPSes, they do support Geocaching Live and they do partner with Garmin so I asked that they contact their point person about this. 

1 hour ago, meganjoe said:

I just talked to Garmin.. We tried a few things after which the Agent (who was very helpful) Said it's a Geocaching.com issue.  

A viable possibility, but GARMIN, not the customer, should engage with Groundspeak and their technical team to resolve it. Did the Garmin rep indicate he will escalate it to their product team or dump it on your to go to Groundspeak who will blame Garmin?

28 minutes ago, Ben H said:

Thanks for reporting on your problems, everyone. We don't have a solution yet as we're not sure whether the issue is on our end, Garmin's, or both, but I did want to let you know that we're investigating.

Thanks.. I'm sure we are all encouraged to hear that..

Joe

36 minutes ago, Ben H said:

Thanks for reporting on your problems, everyone. We don't have a solution yet as we're not sure whether the issue is on our end, Garmin's, or both, but I did want to let you know that we're investigating.

Fantastic!

Thank you so very much for letting us know this is being investigated!

Received a solid email reply from Garmin support regarding my support request initiated with them just last Friday morning:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I am sorry to hear you have been having issues with the Geocaching Live feature, I am happy to assist you today.

From the thread you provided the link for, it shows a lackey for Geocaching.com posted on Friday that they are aware of the issue and are actively investigating.

We also have a few related open internal research cases on this end for the issue as well. Unfortunately, there is no time-frame we can provide on when a resolution will be available due to the variables involved but, I can confirm we are aware of it and are also actively investigating. 

I have added you to the cases so you will be informed of when there is a resolution. The case team may reach out to you via email with additional questions if more information is needed.

4 hours ago, Team DEMP said:

Received a solid email reply from Garmin support regarding my support request initiated with them just last Friday morning:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I am sorry to hear you have been having issues with the Geocaching Live feature, I am happy to assist you today.

From the thread you provided the link for, it shows a lackey for Geocaching.com posted on Friday that they are aware of the issue and are actively investigating. 

We also have a few related open internal research cases on this end for the issue as well. Unfortunately, there is no time-frame we can provide on when a resolution will be available due to the variables involved but, I can confirm we are aware of it and are also actively investigating. 

I have added you to the cases so you will be informed of when there is a resolution. The case team may reach out to you via email with additional questions if more information is needed.

LOL. The primary feature anyone buys the Oregon 7x0 for is BROKEN, and they have no timetable on when a solution may be available?

Brilliant!

I guess, since they bought out all their competition, they don't have to worry about the quality of their own products any more...

Edited by Atlas Cached
6 hours ago, Maingray said:

It's been a month. 

At the end of June we experienced some downtime on our API which likely affected some users. Since that outage, our services have been fully functional. We have been testing this process with our own Garmin 7x0 devices and are no longer experiencing any issues on our end. Also, for all of July all calls from all devices to our APIs are behaving as expected. That does not necessarily mean the problem is solved, but we do feel pretty confident that our APIs during this month are not the culprit. It sounds like many of the issues you all are experiencing have to do with the bluetooth connection to your mobile device. If this is where you are having troubles, this is not a place where our API is a part of the flow and could be a Garmin side issue (but we can not say this with any certainty). We are in communication with Garmin about this issue and are working to figure out what the problem is. If anyone continues to have issues after re-registering your device, it would be extremely helpful to us for you to post some more detail about exactly what your experience is like so we can work with Garmin to get to the bottom of what is happening.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, bootron said:

At the end of June we experienced some downtime on our API which likely affected some users. Since that outage, our services have been fully functional. We have been testing this process with our own Garmin 7x0 devices and are no longer experiencing any issues on our end. Also, for all of July all calls from all devices to our APIs are behaving as expected. That does not necessarily mean the problem is solved, but we do feel pretty confident that our APIs during this month are not the culprit. It sounds like many of the issues you all are experiencing have to do with the bluetooth connection to your mobile device. If this is where you are having troubles, this is not a place where our API is a part of the flow and could be a Garmin side issue (but we can not say this with any certainty). We are in communication with Garmin about this issue and are working to figure out what the problem is. If anyone continues to have issues after re-registering your device, it would be extremely helpful to us for you to post some more detail about exactly what your experience is like so we can work with Garmin to get to the bottom of what is happening.

Live Geocaching used to work with my Oregon 750 and my Galaxy S7 but hasn't for the last month or so.. I've contacted Garmin Tech Support twice and we tried everything they could think of.. It works when connected via wi-fi to my home computer but not via Bluetooth via my phone. Garmin Connect shows both devices are connected and synced. When I try to refresh a map page for geocaches a circle in the middle of the map appears and spins in a circle ..  The Tech put me on hold while she looked into it.. Came back and said they were looking into the issue and would keep me informed via email.

Joe

22 hours ago, bootron said:

We are in communication with Garmin about this issue and are working to figure out what the problem is. If anyone continues to have issues after re-registering your device, it would be extremely helpful to us for you to post some more detail about exactly what your experience is like so we can work with Garmin to get to the bottom of what is happening.

Bootron - what info is needed that would help? What's been reported by the folks here is that on wifi, the live api works from the device. When on bluetooth with the phone, like you'd be in the woods, it doesn't work. I don't think it's specific to iPhone or Android and isn't working when going through the Garmin connect app. Tonight when I get home from work I can try different scenarios but I'm not sure if anything beyond the following can be determined...

Oregon 7x0 <-- Bluetooth --> Garmin Connect app on Phone <-- API --> Groundspeak    --- No longer is working

Oregon 7x0 <-- Wifi API --> Groundspeak --- Works. I assume that's the integration but I can turn my phone off to confirm tonight. 

Oregon connects to phone/Garmin Connect app but "live" requests from the Oregon don't work. How can we help you debug. If anyone feels the above isn't accurate or has a different experience, please speak up. 

Edited by Team DEMP
  • Upvote 1

Re-registered device, still no luck. There's little to give you feedback on; it won't pull API info when connected via Bluetooth. The refresh indicator just spins away. You can't seem to try a second time, the indicator doesn't even appear. You have to reset the unit. I doubt it's an API issue per se, and likely something up with the device but it really takes away the point of having this unit so hopefully Garmin can address. 

I'm having the same problem with my brand new Oregon 750 and getting live caches when out and about is the main reason why I bought this device. It's most frustrating. I hope something can be done soon to fix it.

I can, however, pull a small number of caches via the WiFi connection to my Samsung Galaxy S7, but it's only the headers and doesn't show logs, hints, size, etc which isn't entirely useful. 

No joy with the Bluetooth connection, but it does push through messages from my phone so that part of the connection and Garmin Connect works fine...  

1 hour ago, 37251 said:

I'm having the same problem with my brand new Oregon 750 and getting live caches when out and about is the main reason why I bought this device. It's most frustrating. I hope something can be done soon to fix it.

I can, however, pull a small number of caches via the WiFi connection to my Samsung Galaxy S7, but it's only the headers and doesn't show logs, hints, size, etc which isn't entirely useful. 

No joy with the Bluetooth connection, but it does push through messages from my phone so that part of the connection and Garmin Connect works fine...  

They really need to put some eyes and brains on this and collaborate to get this done. Maybe we need to get this issue a bit more prominent on more general forums. Unfortunately, sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease and we need to be more squeaky. 

My very basic understanding is that when using wifi, it grabs the "lite" cache info on the initial request and the other info downloads in the background. If you have your Galaxy as a wifi hotspot and the Oregon connected to it, you might initially see just the base info and then "later", the rest of the info. I don't know how long "later" is - 1 min, 2 mins, 5 mins?

Besides the messages communicating ok via bluetooth, my tracks are communicated between the Oregon and Garmin Connect on my iPhone immediately after I stop/save the track, so that works too with it then getting synced to the cloud and viable on the web. 

Come on Garmin/Groundspeak a little more urgency here or if things are really moving, an update on what has been found and plan to address the issue that cripples the major feature. 

4 hours ago, Team DEMP said:

They really need to put some eyes and brains on this and collaborate to get this done. Maybe we need to get this issue a bit more prominent on more general forums. Unfortunately, sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease and we need to be more squeaky. 

My very basic understanding is that when using wifi, it grabs the "lite" cache info on the initial request and the other info downloads in the background. If you have your Galaxy as a wifi hotspot and the Oregon connected to it, you might initially see just the base info and then "later", the rest of the info. I don't know how long "later" is - 1 min, 2 mins, 5 mins?

Besides the messages communicating ok via bluetooth, my tracks are communicated between the Oregon and Garmin Connect on my iPhone immediately after I stop/save the track, so that works too with it then getting synced to the cloud and viable on the web. 

Come on Garmin/Groundspeak a little more urgency here or if things are really moving, an update on what has been found and plan to address the issue that cripples the major feature. 

My experience is the same with the Oregon 700 and a Motorola Moto G (2nd edition). I am in the UK.

This seems unrepresented in the place to report site issues, https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/forum/139-website/  If you are affected and can make a concise summary of the issue, perhaps linking ack to this thread or specific posts, please start a thread there. (I could move this thread, but IMO it's better to cut to the "here's what used to work and now doesn't" page and skip the exploratory "hey what's going on?" phase of this discussion.

An escalation with Garmin is in order as that seems to be the new piece of this equation. (And, bluntly, you've given them more money. ;-) )  It seems unlikely there is any new code in the Groundspeak API specific for these devices. It may be that Garmin's code is driving things in a different way and triggering weirdness but I'd amplify with the pressure on Garmin. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, robertlipe said:

This seems unrepresented in the place to report site issues, https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/forum/139-website/  If you are affected and can make a concise summary of the issue, perhaps linking ack to this thread or specific posts, please start a thread there. (I could move this thread, but IMO it's better to cut to the "here's what used to work and now doesn't" page and skip the exploratory "hey what's going on?" phase of this discussion.

An escalation with Garmin is in order as that seems to be the new piece of this equation. (And, bluntly, you've given them more money. ;-) )  It seems unlikely there is any new code in the Groundspeak API specific for these devices. It may be that Garmin's code is driving things in a different way and triggering weirdness but I'd amplify with the pressure on Garmin. 

Robert - Thanks for posting. Goundspeak (bootron) has responded in the thread so they are aware and Garmin is aware too, both from customers contacting them and from their responses back as well as what bootron indicated. Just seems like it isn't a top priority or they aren't communicating that it is. 

Thanks again for posting. 

It's nice to FINALLY find this thread. My brother and I specifically bought Oregon 750's for the live geocaching.  Ours stopped working in June like everyone elses, however, until today, this is the only forum I've found that talks about it.

To Groundspeak: we are not made at you. People are venting here.

I was using my 750 no problems.  Loved it. I was caching, and got an update for Garmin 'connect' on my phone.  Clicked 'ok', updated, and BAMM!!! Hasn't worked since. I opened a ticket with garmin support, and got the blah blah blah run around for like 6 weeks now. Last week, I finally got a response of " we duplicated the problem, but don't know what is causing it. GARMIN CONNECT!!!!! Hear me now and believe me later. 

I've done everything on my android, as described here. Rebooted everythimg. Unregister. Reregistered. Uninot all connect. Reinstall. Factory reset. Rub the rabbits foot. Nothing worked. Did it all on my work iphone too. Nada. 

I can turn on gps. Reboot phone. Try to live geocache, and get the spinning refresh thing. My phone, however, says "Unfortunately, Garmin Connect has stopped working." I only get it once, unless I reboot my phone.  Told all this to Garmin in emails, with screenshot many times. They first said they don believe it's that. Now the latest emails state there us an issue, but they are working on resolving it.

I will never buy a toyota, after what happened years ago. People have forgotten, and buy toyota. I'm at that point with the way this is being handled that I don't think I will ever buy another garmin product again, nor will I support them. I don't like the way this is being handled, as well, don't like the finger pointing between Groundspeak and garmin. I'd like to get my money back, but that is not an option. For the $$ I spent on the GO750, I will tell everyone about my experience, and how it was handled. Peoplease can make thier own decision whether to buy garmin products, but information and being informed is power.

Hoping both partits can work together to solve the problem, and keep us all informed too.

Regards,

CD

15 hours ago, kochmedic said:

I 100% agree with my brother CD. We have had this issue for months and gotten little to no info or fixes to this issue. 

The reason I bought the O 750t was live geocaching and that's the only thing that will not work. Frustrated beyond words. 

Kochmedic 

Groundspeak is aware of the issue. And I think Garmin is too. They're working on it (or neither party is willing to admit they are the problem). Either way, until the Live feature gets fixed, your GPS is not useless. I think it's been mentioned that the Live feature works when connected directly via wifi, which leads me to suspect that the problem lies with the Garmin Connect app. So if all else fails, run a PQ and load it over WiFi before heading out for the day. If that still isn't working for you, load caches ahead of time via a wired file transfer from a computer. It'll work, because before there were smartphones, all we had was a GPS and wired connection to a computer, and we had to plan ahead before geocaching, and yet we still managed to log finds and have a good time.

• Upvote 1

Groundspeak is aware of the issue. And I think Garmin is too. They're working on it (or neither party is willing to admit they are the problem). Either way, until the Live feature gets fixed, your GPS is not useless. I think it's been mentioned that the Live feature works when connected directly via wifi, which leads me to suspect that the problem lies with the Garmin Connect app. So if all else fails, run a PQ and load it over WiFi before heading out for the day. If that still isn't working for you, load caches ahead of time via a wired file transfer from a computer. It'll work, because before there were smartphones, all we had was a GPS and wired connection to a computer, and we had to plan ahead before geocaching, and yet we still managed to log finds and have a good time.

If that was how we wanted it to work, we could have spent <$200 on an Oregon 6x0 instead for the same functionality.

Edited by Atlas Cached
  • Upvote 2
On 11/08/2017 at 11:01 PM, Atlas Cached said:

If that was how we wanted it to work, we could have spent <$200 on an Oregon 6x0 instead for the same functionality.

Exactly. The whole idea, as I understand it, is to be able to download caches when in any location where there is a cellphone signal without having to pre-plan where you want to go. At present, for me and many others, this product does not fulfill this task. If I had known this, I would not have bought this product.

• Upvote 2
22 hours ago, AlexUK51 said:

Exactly. The whole idea, as I understand it, is to be able to download caches when in any location where there is a cellphone signal without having to pre-plan where you want to go. At present, for me and many others, this product does not fulfill this task. If I had known this, I would not have bought this product.

Precisely. The ONLY reason for anyone to pay three time the price of an Oregon 6x0, which is all the Oregon 7x0 is with this functionality BROKEN.

SHAME on Garmin.

i received a prompt follow-up from Groundspeak when I emailed and asked for any update. I haven't yet received a follow-up from Garmin after I contacted them again last week. 

Groundspeak's reply: Please know we are aware of the issue and are working with Garmin to get this resolved. Unfortunately, it's taking longer than we anticipated. However, I've passed your feedback onto the appropriate teams.

4 hours ago, mjr15197 said:

Oregon 7xx Beta software version 3.33

• This release is intended to fix issues with geocaching live features.
  • For any issues that you encounter please email outdoor.beta@garmin.com. Please note that you may not get a response to the email unless we need more information on the issue you report.

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=11083

You beat me to it! :) I was just coming here to share that link.

We just heard from our partners at Garmin that they've released a beta version of updated device firmware that they believe will fix the problems you all have described. It's available for download at the link in mjr15197's post above. We'd appreciate it if anyone who tries it out can report back here on their experience.

• Upvote 3

At first I didn't think the beta firmware resolved the issue. After following the steps and "ejecting" the GPS after loading the update file, I restarted the phone and applied the software update. GC Live worked via wifi as it did before the update so I turned off wifi on my Oregon 700. Bluetooth still didn't work and I was left on the loading screen with the circle underneath. I tried single GC code loads via GC Live and none worked. I tried multiple Near Me loads and none worked.  I know I was connected via bluetooth as a received text message was displayed on the Oregon.

I turned off the Oregon and then turned it back on and tried again to load a specific cache via GC Live and it prompted me to connect via bluetooth. It took a second for the Oregon to reconnect after the device was restarted and I was then able to load a specific cache via bluetooth. I then tried to load caches near me via GC Live and it also worked via bluetooth. Won't have much time to see if everything else isn't impacted and still works but this feature appears to now be working again. I know previously loaded caches were still there after the update was applied. 

If someone tries this and it still doesn't work, try a second power off/on cycle and see if that helps.