Release Notes (Geocaching® app, GeoTours) - June 27, 2017

Release Notes (Geocaching® app) - June 27, 2017

With this release we have included a GeoTours directory in the Search section of the app. You can access the directory from the existing GT code search screen.

The directory includes details on every active GeoTour including:

• Name
  • GT code
  • Distance
  • Number of caches
  • Thumbnail image

GeoTours can be sorted by distance or alphabetically by name. All members have access to GeoTour caches of all cache types and D/T ratings.

Ben H from HQ’s Product Team is watching the thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

Great! I've been thinking that should be in the app for years, nice to see the directory! Now just need more geotours near me.

Minor display issue ... when selecting a tour it briefly displays:

There are 0 geocaches in this GeoTour

I know it's updating and fetching data from the server, but it would be better to display something else

I've done one, it might be nice to have an indication in the listing that I've found 1 or more of the caches in the tour directory.

How about adding the ability to save a Geotour to a List for offline use?

While there's no direct way to do this at the moment, you can still accomplish it pretty quickly as follows:

* Select a GeoTour

* Map the GeoTour by tapping the map icon near the top right

* Tap the (...) menu at top right of the map

* Select Add all to list

* Tap the + to create a new list, give it a name, and check the box to save offline

How about adding the ability to save a Geotour to a List for offline use?

While there's no direct way to do this at the moment, you can still accomplish it pretty quickly as follows:

* Select a GeoTour

* Map the GeoTour by tapping the map icon near the top right

* Tap the (...) menu at top right of the map

* Select Add all to list

* Tap the + to create a new list, give it a name, and check the box to save offline

Well that worked. Thanks!

Not good start for me, sadly. I found the Geotour directory, but the nearest is a three-hour flight from me.

Nevertheless, I clicked the link. Nothing happened for a few moments; then the screen changed and was replaced by a spinning 'wait' icon. Then that disappeared and was replaced by the directory, although the Geotour I'd selected had now disappeared from the top of the list. I refreshed and the Geotour reappeared. Clicking it again just got me a message' Unfortunately Geocaching has stopped...' and once again the geotour had disappeared from the list.

I restarted the phone - no change

Update: some route through the app takes me from the directory to the whirligig and then to the Search screen with GT filled in on the search box. Adding the digits for the geotour I was looking for gets me another 'Unfortunately...' message and dumps me back at the directory.

Another attempt dumped me back at the four-panel search screen (the one that appears immediately after one hits the Search button from the main screen)

I haven't yet found a route through the app that actually displays a Geotour.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 6.0.1

Geocaching App v5.5.1

Further update: the mysterious disappearance of the selected Geotour is explained by the directory list being sorted by distance descending instead of distance ascending. AFAIK I haven't changed the order of sort and a simple refresh (drag down from the top of the screen) returns the order to what I started with.

Edited by gasbottle

One thing that might be nice is to have an indication of how many photos are in the Gallery and Sponsors section. It's not completely clear that we can swipe sideways to see more images and there's no indication of how many images are available. Perhaps a 1/3, 2/3, 3/3 notation when swiping through these sections. If only one image/sponsor is there, then show 1/1.

I've done one, it might be nice to have an indication in the listing that I've found 1 or more of the caches in the tour directory.

+1

It would be nice to have an indication of how many have been found, as it can give a quick view of our progress towards completing each GeoTour. Perhaps another icon (not sure what) after the icon that shows how many caches are in the GT.

I would like to report a bug.

When you go to your log there is a possibility to upload a picture. Then you get in a screen with title "Upload a Geocache Log Image". Under "File" in bold there is button with text "Browse". On the right hand side of the button there is text with default "No file selected". The colour of that text is now the same as the colour of text in the browser menu, in my case Firefox. The rest of all text-items on the page is black.

In my case my text colour in the browser-menu is yellow (on black background). In the screen I see "No file selected" as yellow on white which makes it unreadable. I suggest to set the text colour of this item also to black, the same as the other text items in this page/screen.

Hi!

As there was no new release note regarding the new puzzle icon on the map I simply add some comments here:

1. Like with the DNF icon it has the exact same "issue": I see this new icon and don't know any more what the real cache type is. I like the idea of being able to see that, same with DNF, but just as an option please. I still am way more interested in the cache type.

2. While showing a PQ on the map I see the new icons (DNF/Puzzle) but in the list I see the cache type. Not sure if that's by intention or not. And I would also like to be able to toggle DNF/Puzzle view within the PQ view, if possible!

Thanks!

Hi!

As there was no new release note regarding the new puzzle icon on the map I simply add some comments here:

1. Like with the DNF icon it has the exact same "issue": I see this new icon and don't know any more what the real cache type is. I like the idea of being able to see that, same with DNF, but just as an option please. I still am way more interested in the cache type.

2. While showing a PQ on the map I see the new icons (DNF/Puzzle) but in the list I see the cache type. Not sure if that's by intention or not. And I would also like to be able to toggle DNF/Puzzle view within the PQ view, if possible!

Thanks!

Yes, there is a Release Note thread for this update. You can find it here

I would like to report a bug.

When you go to your log there is a possibility to upload a picture. Then you get in a screen with title "Upload a Geocache Log Image". Under "File" in bold there is button with text "Browse". On the right hand side of the button there is text with default "No file selected". The colour of that text is now the same as the colour of text in the browser menu, in my case Firefox. The rest of all text-items on the page is black.

In my case my text colour in the browser-menu is yellow (on black background). In the screen I see "No file selected" as yellow on white which makes it unreadable. I suggest to set the text colour of this item also to black, the same as the other text items in this page/screen.

Are you referring to the 'old' logging page on the website? This thread is about the Geocaching app, and specifically about the GeoTours feature. You've already posted this issue in HERE, which is a more appropriate thread for it.

By the way, I don't see the issue you're describing - using Firefox, Windows, old logging page.

You've already posted this issue in HERE, which is a more appropriate thread for it.

No, that's another Release Notes discussion about features unrelated to the old image upload page, so that isn't appropriate either. It would be best to start a new discussion in the Bug Reports and Feature Discussions - Website forum.

FWIW, I've never seen this issue either. I even tried changing the default text colour in Firefox to yellow and restarted it, but couldn't get any text anywhere to show up in yellow.