Kid-Friendly EarthCache

Spliffa

Good morning. My daughter (9) and I (much more than 9) are going to work on creating an EarthCache together. We want it to be kid-friendly, and I want her to do most of the work. So, my question is: how detailed does the lesson have to be? The cache will require reading signs by certain rocks that are in a county park, so the questions will be easy enough to answer. When I look at my geology notes from college and the state's published geology information, it's way above the level of a 9-year-old. I have no problem helping her of course, but I want her to do most of the work.

To keep it at a 4th grade reading level, maybe stick to the information in a 4th grade textbook to explain the feature, or "Geology for Kids" websites (it being summer, it occurred to me you might not have her textbook available).

One note, I'm wary about depending on signs, as they can be changed or vandalized. Your cache, so up to you, but consider focusing on the rocks and what can be observed there rather than giving answers off signs.

Poor choice of words on my part, though I'm not worried about the signs changing. I live in Central Pennsylvania where nothing changes. tongue.gif

Thank you for the tip about using a kid-friendly website though. That's a good idea!

Also note worthy, I believe the new earthcache guidelines require at least one of the questions to be in regards to observations at the earthcache site that are not directly off a sign. I had a reviewer come back to me once because I needed an additional question about an observation other than finding an answer on a sign.

Also note worthy, I believe the new earthcache guidelines require at least one of the questions to be in regards to observations at the earthcache site that are not directly off a sign.

Thanks for the tip! I have this one covered, but I appreciate your making sure I don't waste my and the reviewer's time. I know that EarthCaches can take some time to get reviewed, so the more people I have looking out for me, the better.

My own approach might be different, but right off, I would pretend that the signs aren't there at all, nor would I rely on any information on the sign, other than bring to my attention a point of interest, which I could use as a springboard to make my own unique lesson.

I've used this approach on a couple of geology tours, one of which was a Park sponsored walk with a handout, and the other being a Graduate Level field trip that I found a summary of online. In the first case, I found the handout to be a bit thin on details, so I added to it from various sources to enrich the lesson. The second was so complex and incomprehensible to me, that I spent a great deal of time on the Descriptions defining terms and relating them to the local geology.

In both cases, I based the Logging Requirements on observations of geologic features at the posted coordinates. I mentioned my sources in passing, but I didn't rely on either to really base any of the Logging Requirements.

Have fun with it, and don't forget that Land Manager permission is required on just about every Earthcache submission.

My own approach might be different, but right off, I would pretend that the signs aren't there at all, nor would I rely on any information on the sign, other than bring to my attention a point of interest, which I could use as a springboard to make my own unique lesson.

I've used this approach on a couple of geology tours, one of which was a Park sponsored walk with a handout, and the other being a Graduate Level field trip that I found a summary of online. In the first case, I found the handout to be a bit thin on details, so I added to it from various sources to enrich the lesson. The second was so complex and incomprehensible to me, that I spent a great deal of time on the Descriptions defining terms and relating them to the local geology.

In both cases, I based the Logging Requirements on observations of geologic features at the posted coordinates. I mentioned my sources in passing, but I didn't rely on either to really base any of the Logging Requirements.

Have fun with it, and don't forget that Land Manager permission is required on just about every Earthcache submission.

Good idea Touchstone. Thanks!