What is this called?

I was thinking about placing a geocache, but I wanted to use a specific type of string.

What is this called...?

It's the plastic loop like string at the end of a lanyard.

It's not the clip part, but the actual string. It's real thin and real strong.

The closest thing that I found is called a Dyneena, but what I've found is different than what I'm looking for.

It's also not fishing line because it has more string-like characteristics. The one at the end of a lanyard is not fabric or sewn, but more plastic string like....

I took a picture of a lanyard that I have and the arrow points at what I'm talking about.

58dceccf-ac45-43e8-9efe-c3b174ee23fb_l.jpg

It may be something like Kevlar braided line (or Kevlar kite string).

Also see "Technora": https://www.amazon.com/ASR-Tactical-Technora-Composite-Survival/dp/B01CPSS808

I haven't seen tested either, but they might be pretty much what is used on phone lanyards. I make little keychain type swag items, so string just like that lanyard cord would come in handy. Looks like retail is no good, it's expensive string. Once you decide what to hunt for, shop around places that sell surplus items. You may get lucky and find a whole roll cheap.

Edited by kunarion

It's also not fishing line because it has more string-like characteristics.

I have used braided "spiderwire" fishing line to secure geocaches, and I have worn out several lanyards. My choice is the spyderwire, it's much stronger. But I have no idea what you are wanting to use it for exactly. :unsure:

I've used different types of wire/ string before and have seen others and in time they just wear out. I've used this lanyard,on my keychain, that's in the picture everyday for years and it's never shown signs of wear or tear. I just thought that this maybe the one to use... nothing more than that.... Also, just curious if there is a specific name for it.

You might want to take a look at dacron fly line backing. Cabela's or other outdoor retailers will sell it. Cabela's has a 100 yard 20lb test spool or 200 yard 30lb test spool for $6.99 or $9.99. It is used as backing on a fly reel so if you hook a large fish that runs farther than your fly line you stay hooked up.

just curious if there is a specific name for it.

Anywhere the material is identified online, it's called "Nylon". While I was in a craft store this afternoon, I found "1.5mm Nylon Cord". It's black woven cord, and there are various thicknesses, but this size looks and feels just like the phone charm cord. I think braided nylon cord is what you're looking for.

Edited by kunarion

You might want to take a look at dacron fly line backing. Cabela's or other outdoor retailers will sell it. Cabela's has a 100 yard 20lb test spool or 200 yard 30lb test spool for $6.99 or $9.99. It is used as backing on a fly reel so if you hook a large fish that runs farther than your fly line you stay hooked up.

That's happened to me a few times. Before "modern" fly lines, fly line itself was braided as well and now braided loops are pretty common for attaching fly line to the leader.

Thanks for all you help! I was doing some digging arounds and this is what I just ordered from Amazon....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GBGVYS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used the key words that you all gave: technora, nylon, Kevlar, etc...

I got this and I know that it's now exactly what I was looking for, but it looks pretty darn close. I know that it's thicker and braided than what I was looking for, but... It's close....

They have others that are similar and crazy expensive, but I found this for cheap....

The Spiderwire that someone suggested looked a bit to silky...? or maybe a bit stiff....? That's what I got from the pictures....

I think that thing "phone cord thingy" that this cord is is maybe a jewelry type of chord? When I was doing some research I found a lot of things that had this cord but I found a lot of it as being parts of things, but never by itself.....

At any rate, if anyone here ever finds out the exact name of this type of chord, let me know!

Thanks again!

The Spiderwire that someone suggested looked a bit to silky...? or maybe a bit stiff....? That's what I got from the pictures....

It's a braided polyethylene material and it is stiffer than the woven cords. It's fishing line. I have a 50ML centrifuge tube hanging from a tree branch as a test, and the Spiderwire has been perfectly fine for 3 years. The line has not degraded at all. A cammo tube hanging by the greenish Spiderwire on a tree, blends in well.

I think that thing "phone cord thingy" that this cord is is maybe a jewelry type of chord? When I was doing some research I found a lot of things that had this cord but I found a lot of it as being parts of things, but never by itself.....

One thing I kept finding while looking up "phone cord string" is "Chinese knot cord" which I guess is used in jewelry-making and other craft projects.

I think the kind you bought will hold up very well. It may prove to be even hardier than the "phone charm lanyard cord" you were looking for.

Edited by kunarion