My Cache Needs Maintenance

I have a question for other cache owners. Before the changes to logging. If a cacher found my cache and said that it was in bad shape or needed maintenance but they didn't log a "Needs Maintenance", I would typically go in an post the "Needs Maintenance" so I wouldn't forget. This way when I did my maintenance runs I could just sort on my caches that needed fixed and off I went.

Now its a little harder, so I am looking for so options as to how others handle this.

Thanks, and happy caching!

I like the idea of not being able to log NM on your own caches.

With this new health-score thing, COs could have been making issues with their caches and HQ themselves. :laughing:

Like you, we act if there's mention in logs of an issue too, but we simply leave a note on the fridge to "check suchnsuch", and the first one with time does it.

- Though we don't have 300+ caches. :)

I have a question for other cache owners. Before the changes to logging. If a cacher found my cache and said that it was in bad shape or needed maintenance but they didn't log a "Needs Maintenance", I would typically go in an post the "Needs Maintenance" so I wouldn't forget. This way when I did my maintenance runs I could just sort on my caches that needed fixed and off I went.

Now its a little harder, so I am looking for so options as to how others handle this.

Thanks, and happy caching!

You could disable it, noting in the log that it's still there but you just need to get out there to fix it. If it's minor, I'd just leave it and make a note to yourself to visit it. In this age of smartphones, it's easy enough to set a reminder...even one that goes off when you are in a certain location. I set reminders for myself all the time that are set off when I get close to home or work or some other location.

You have a decent amount of caches, so I can see how having the NM flag would be handy.

Outside of a note on the fridge or on top of the caching bag, maybe create a bookmark list that only you can see, and remove the caches in question after you check 'em out.

Just remembered that a couple weeks ago, In This Thread, a Lackey said "We are currently working on the new Dashboard and are hoping to include more information on the page for cache hiders. This would likely include a quick view that shows that you have caches that require your attention" - working on things over the Summer. :)

I assume that would refer to caches with NM logs, though...which is kinda the point.

My husband noticed a glitch the other day where someone had NMed a cache, with good reason, but no wrench appeared. He noticed the log go by and made a mental note to check on things but when he went to remind himself which cache it was he had to dig a bit because no wrenches appeared in his cache list. So I don't know that using NM on your own cache is necessarily as useful as it might have been before anyway.

You could ask the person who posted the original log to post a NM log as a favor.

You could create a sock puppet account to post NM logs on your own caches.

I was wondering about how to post NM on my own caches myself recently. Fortunately (?) another finder provided more information about the condition of the cache, so I disabled it and postponed the need for posting NM on my own caches.

I use a bookmark list to keep track of maintenance to-do's. Checking it just now to capture the screenshot below, the list reminded me that it was high time for me to archive two caches that had been disabled for too long.

You have a good reputation for maintenance, so thanks for asking about ways to make it easier. I look forward to finding more of your caches.

9645e4eb-ac75-45a3-baae-fbc4b75183b5.jpg

I use a bookmark list to keep track of maintenance to-do's. Checking it just now to capture the screenshot below, the list reminded me that it was high time for me to archive two caches that had been disabled for too long.

You have a good reputation for maintenance, so thanks for asking about ways to make it easier. I look forward to finding more of your caches.

9645e4eb-ac75-45a3-baae-fbc4b75183b5.jpg

I do something sorta similar to this. I keep a bookmark list of new caches in my area that I haven't found yet. When one of my own caches has maintenance issues it goes on this list also. This reminds me, when I look at caches to go out and find, that I have other things that need to be done.