Garmin Saved portion of track is way wrong

Returned from a hike that is 7.5 kms. Saved the track of that hike in save a portion of current track. I expect it should read 7.5kms, and show the hike on the map with that distance. For some reason it shows the whole current track, which includes a flight across North America. Not what I've seen before after saving a portion of current track. Is there an option that I might have changed somewhere (Garmin 78s) in the menu? Or is there something corrupted in the track and how do I resolve this? Many thanks in advance for your solutions. Pierre

I reset my track before each hike, this starts a new track, no problem. When I go back and look at it on my GPS (away from computer and Basecamp) I see all the tracks in the current track, not just the last from the last reset. This is something new, that was never present in the past. Wondering why this is all of a sudden happening. Track is complete when I look at it in Basecamp, and I can trim the tracks no problem, but when I'm away from Basecamp I should be able to see my last hike no problem on the GPS.

You're correct, I'm reseting the trip computer.

Doing that always enables me to save each hike on a daily basis during a weeklong trip. By selecting Save a Portion in track manager I can then share our day's track with others. I like the idea of keeping the current track during my multi-day outings until I come back home, where I can archive it or download it to my comp.

By reseting the trip computer at start of the day, I can register the first track segment and the last track segment and it would show up as the days track. I can then go to Review track segment and see the day's distance, ascent, descent, max/min elevation while on the GPS.

For some reason in the past few outings Save a Portion in Track Manager does not behave in the same manner as before. It seems to add all segments of the Current Track, and not the Save A Portion of the track. I'm trying do determine if I've inadvertently changes a setting in Setup to change it's previous behaviour.

Thanks again for any insight in the matter.

Just save and reset the track before and after each outing. You can reset the trip computer too to keep track of your progress in real time. But your current method sounds unnecessarily convoluted compared with beginning a fresh track at the start of your hike and saving it when you return to the car.

Very well, I will give it a go on your method, since I can't figure out what has happened in my convoluted way. It worked great for me for so many years and it was dear to me.

I still think I changed something in the settings to change the gps behaviour.

Could be. I never really liked the track segments feature in the GPS, instead using my method and using Basecamp to trim any extra pieces that weren't supposed to be there, as well as clean birds nests and fix the occasional point or two that the GPS got the location wrong.