International Travel Question

buttercuper1

Hi!

I am a Canadian who will be travelling in the fall to Italy! While we are there we are planning to do a little geocaching. My question is, when we look up caches descriptions and such, will everything be in English (which my account is in), or will it be in Italian (assuming they were published Italian)?

Thank :D

In larger cities/tourist spots, some may have both.

We notice that the further away from cities/tourist traps spots the local language is often it. :)

Google helps a bit.

- And you don't need to know the local language for coordinates.

Best way to find out is by searching the areas you're interested in, really.

Bigger tourist draws have more caches in English; I had no issues in Rome or Florence that I recall. I haven't been back to Cinque Terra since we started geocaching, but even there most caches appear to be in English or have some English text.

I did a trip around Europe lasts year.

I found that GSAK has a macro which uses a translation service to translate cache descriptions into English.

A lot of caches have descriptions in English as well as the local language, but some don't. The ones which do usually have local language first and that means a lot of scrolling trying to find the English on the GPS device. GSAK lets you edit the translated text, so I often copied the original text to the translated text and edited out all the non-English stuff.

Enjoy the trip, Italy is incredible.

Hi!

I am a Canadian who will be travelling in the fall to Italy! While we are there we are planning to do a little geocaching. My question is, when we look up caches descriptions and such, will everything be in English (which my account is in), or will it be in Italian (assuming they were published Italian)?

I THINK you're asking if there's any translation going on based on where you're located, and the answer is no, websites don't display in Italian, for example, just because you're viewing it on a computer in Italy.

For example, I'm from Brooklyn and have friends there, but now I live in Upstate New York, and I can read my friend's cache descriptions just fine. <g>

Hi!

I THINK you're asking if there's any translation going on based on where you're located, and the answer is no, websites don't display in Italian, for example, just because you're viewing it on a computer in Italy.

Actually, some sites do exactly that. If you're in Italy and go to Google.com it'll redirect to "google.it" and display in Italian. Many sites, including geocaching.com have multi-language support and using ones location to select the "default" language isn't that difficult. However, a site with multi-language support will only display text that has already been translated. There are browser plugins that will detect the language on a website and offer a real time translation though. That said, I've cached in Rome four times and have never had an issue with cache listings. I *did* have a somewhat nervous experience trying to explain geocaching to a couple of police after one (in plain clothes) saw me find a cache near the colosseum. They didn't seem to speak English and I don;t speak Italian. The OP may want to consider printing off some "what is geocaching pamphlets" in Italian (I know there's one available but don't have the link off hand.)

Like any country, the further you get away from a big city the more likely you'll find cache listings (and people) in the local language.

For example, I'm from Brooklyn and have friends there, but now I live in Upstate New York, and I can read my friend's cache descriptions just fine. <g>

rolleyes.gif