Oregon 700 Registration failed

julesplumbing

Hi there, I bought a new Garmin Oregon 700 to do walking and geocaching.

When I start the geocaching page, it advises me that I'll get a 6 digit number code (which I duly receive) and after a while it says "confirm registration" I tap this, and almost immedaitely it says "registration failed"

I have tried two different wifi networks but nothing doing.

Can anyone suggest a way forward?

Thanks in advance to all.

Edited by julesplumbing

Have you installed the latest firmware?

Yes, 3.30 firmware

So, when you run Garmin Express, it's happy with the updates on the 700?

I can't find many threads about the issue. About two old threads, including the entire Interwebs. And just from people asking. And then the asking stops. When that happens, it either cleared up or the persons gave up and are using a different method. Wild guess, it cleared up (or it can be fixed easily without fanfare). There may be a "registration" problem one week, and it's fine any other time. But I'm guessing that if many had this problem, there would be more people at least asking about it today.

You may try the basic plans that tend to "fix" problems. Clear the GPX folder, Power off/on, testing again after you try something, then increasingly serious things such as Soft Reset, up to Factory Reset.

If you get it "registered", please respond with when it happened, or what seemed to be the culprit. If someone had responded previously, you'd have an answer by now. B)

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Have you installed the latest firmware?

Yes, 3.30 firmware

So, when you run Garmin Express, it's happy with the updates on the 700?

I can't find many threads about the issue. About two old threads, including the entire Interwebs. And just from people asking. And then the asking stops. When that happens, it either cleared up or the persons gave up and are using a different method. Wild guess, it cleared up (or it can be fixed easily without fanfare). There may be a "registration" problem one week, and it's fine any other time. But I'm guessing that if many had this problem, there would be more people at least asking about it today.

You may try the basic plans that tend to "fix" problems. Clear the GPX folder, Power off/on, testing again after you try something, then increasingly serious things such as Soft Reset, up to Factory Reset.

If you get it "registered", please respond with when it happened, or what seemed to be the culprit. If someone had responded previously, you'd have an answer by now. B)

Hi there, I'm self employed and as such don't have time to sit at a computer to sort non-essential stuff, so apologies if my reply was late, and yes, the Oregon 700 was happy with the updates.

So here goes, yes it's now registered, but by chance.

What I didn't know was that it wasn't the gps itself that does the registering, given that it had wifi enabled on it, I reckoned that it would access the website and register automatically-no!

When you power up the oregon and go into geocaching, it tells you on screen that you need to register the device at www.geo.co/garmin

This makes the gps inextricably linked to them, and it won't work for online caches ( or any type of geocaching)until you do so.

The device generates a 6 digit code and after it does so, a tab comes up with the words "confirm registration" so you press it expecting it to confirm the registration, and it just says "registration failed" , theres a "retry" tab, and of course when pressed "registration failed" keeps coming back.

At no point are you in any doubt (unless you read this thread, that is), that there's another way of doing it because you are given prompts on the device itself.

I even went to my browser and put www.geo.co/garmin into the address bar (at the top of the screen, not the google search bar) but it took me to the general geocaching home page, and I couldn't find it from there.

Eventually, I decided to enter that into google search engine, and lo and behold, there was the registration page!

I entered the six digit code that my device offered, and the device said "registered" despite the fact that this had all been carried out on my pc at home.

I'm guessing that geocaching.com sent a signal to my oregon 700 to unlock the geocaching part of its software.

For some unknown reason, when I now put the www.geo.co/garmin into the address bar, it works where it previously didn't. (geocaching.com had alluded to the fact that some search engines don't work on that address) but I thought they didn't know what I was asking them, since registration was all carried out on the device, so I thought then, but we know different now!

At no point was I guided to complete the registration away from the device, as the device itself was guiding me through this process, had it said: "now got to www.geo.co/garmin on your computer and enter the six digit code" I would've known what to do.

Even contacting geocaching.com didn't exactly help, and as for garmin themselves, a support officer just pointed the finger at geocache's website being the source of the problem!

So now you know folks, and happy caching!

Edited by julesplumbing

Just to add here:

As Geocaching.com had said:

"As of recently, Google Chrome, Windows 10, Firefox, and Safari no longer support plug-ins. We are unsure if this will ever change. In the meantime, the communicator should work through Internet Explorer with your compatibility mode turned "on".

Another option is (instead of clicking "send to gps"), select "download gpx" and save to the appropriate folder on your gps device. This is the same number of steps but no plug-ins are needed. We've noticed a trend with browsers - they are all starting to disable the platform on which all those plug-ins are built."

I thought I'd include that here in case anyone had trouble finding the page with their particular browser, also as that second part may be relevant to downloading caches to the device.

Wow! You did some great detective work! Some of us may "upgrade" someday, and it's cool when others work out the bugs first. :anicute:

So it's like a smart TV or Blu-ray player, where you enter a "registration code" in a web browser on any computer, to "activate" Amazon Prime or whatever. Good to know. Here's the Geocaching page to "Pair Your Device": https://www.geocaching.com/play/garmin/register

About loading cache files into the Garmin/GPX folder: When the Oregon 700 was released, the user had to decide whether he wished to manually load it (saving GPX files directly) or automatically load it (over Wi-Fi, using the API). If you pre-loaded a whole lot of Pocket Queries via your PC, then loaded a new cache using the API at a Hotspot, now all you get is that one cache. I haven't learned if this issue was fixed.

Hi Kunarion, with regards to that issue, I don't know as I'm not a premium member. I intend to at least get a 3 month membership as long as I can stop after the three months if I don't use it that much (it mentions automatic renewal).

I mention that because pocket queries are the domain of premium members only, but I'll find out if I can.

I bought the 700 model because of two main things (one of which should be avoided ie. anomalies like you've just mentioned about uploading caches to device)

That should be cleared up with wifi I think, as I could just load local caches direct from the device itself (I carry a mifi pebble with me to create a hotspot)

The other feature I bought it for was the simple menus over the 6xx series, on the face of it, it looked much easier to navigate than its predecessor in that there are set profiles: Hunt, Hike, geocache, bike trail, mountain biking, climb, fish etc

In a you tube review it recommended the 7xx over the 6xx for complete noobs like me, and also those that don't want to lug a laptop around with them to go geocaching!

Edited by julesplumbing

Wow! You did some great detective work! Some of us may "upgrade" someday, and it's cool when others work out the bugs first. :anicute:

So it's like a smart TV or Blu-ray player, where you enter a "registration code" in a web browser on any computer, to "activate" Amazon Prime or whatever. Good to know. Here's the Geocaching page to "Pair Your Device": https://www.geocaching.com/play/garmin/register

About loading cache files into the Garmin/GPX folder: When the Oregon 700 was released, the user had to decide whether he wished to manually load it (saving GPX files directly) or automatically load it (over Wi-Fi, using the API). If you pre-loaded a whole lot of Pocket Queries via your PC, then loaded a new cache using the API at a Hotspot, now all you get is that one cache. I haven't learned if this issue was fixed.

This has not been resolved.

If geocaches exist on your Oregon 7x0 in GPX/GGZ format, the GCLive feature will NOT load any new information for them, as if they never existed. See Common Issues > Bug 05.

This has not been resolved.

If geocaches exist on your Oregon 7x0 in GPX/GGZ format, the GCLive feature will NOT load any new information for them, as if they never existed. See Common Issues > Bug 05.

That's good to know. In that case, I'd have to decide if I want to only load caches the old-fashioned way, or only using GCLive. I'm guessing that since the feature is quite nice, that I'd opt for GCLive for all caches. And hope for a firmware update someday. :anicute:

My friend... hats off to you. I was about to throw this thing through a window. My recently "expired" gps was simple, plug the usb cable in, connect. I was doing the same as you, register, failed. connected and tried both through wifi, and bluetooth... failed. Opened geocaching.com. register, failed. connected wifi, tried again, fail, tried bluetooth, opened the GC site, fail... holy @#@$@... Not even sure how I found your link, but dadgum... ya think this might be in the garmin manual?? Hello.... You're a breath of fresh air. was about to give up thinking this thing was hosed. Thank you SO much.

• Helpful 1