Wednesday (5/29)

fractal

I'm thinking for next week, a good spot may be the Helvetia Tavern near Hillsboro/Rock Creek. Cash only, so don't bring the debit card. It's tasty burgers though.

It's not on the Max or bus line, and the only cache nearby is Makaio's archived Dinah's Kitchen. That would be fun and dangerous at night icon_biggrin.gif

Also thinking of Pizza Schmizza in downtown Hillsboro(best pizza anywhere & several beers on tap-I'll find out which for sure), or Sports Look. Both are right on the Max line and 2 of the points for Makaio's XYZ/NGS cache are right nearby.

Here's another thought for the future. How about a fun group activity like playing pool or bowling?

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

While I've been unable to join in the Wednesday night fun, I'd love to do the cart racing - any chance on doing it on a weekend?

Regarding my Dinah's Kitchen cache, as the wooden frame is likely still there, I can easily replace the cache for a short term period, then remove it after the drunken forary (it's only a few hundred yards from the suggested pub). If you do hunt this one, the designated 'cache retriever' should wear clothes they don't mind getting dirty icon_smile.gif

-

I'll race on a Wednesday and a weekend. I've been on a weekend as soon as they open and not seen a crowd. The cars, tires and track are cold, so speeds are down and slippage is up, but it's still just as fun. I don't know if it ever does get crowded, but I used to go to a track that would get huge lines right after work. A big plus about Wednesday night though -- it's ladies night, so ladies race for half price -- and it's their slowest night. It might be better to mail me if you want more specifics. I don't know how far off-the-Geocaching-topic we can get.

Even though I don't drink I well know the Helvetia Tavern. (just cause I don't drink doesn't mean I don't eat) icon_biggrin.gif

I might actually be able to make this location since I live less than 3 miles away.

The Schmitzza spot sounds good too. Also if you go to the Schmitzza at Tanasbourne, there are lots of brew opportunities close.

KTF !!! GBWY !!!

Helvetia tavern is looking pretty good for this next week.

Makaio: If you could look into putting a container at the old site, that would be great.

If people would like to have these little get-togethers on a different day, then come on down and get the Golden Spike from me at the next gathering icon_smile.gif The holder of the spike chooses the time, date, and place of the next gathering.

I'm up for doing some stuff on weekends. I could only show up in the evenings, though.

-fractal

Is that one of my old golden spikes turned TB, or did someone create a counterfit? icon_smile.gif

While not yet approved, here's the post for the DK replacement - a one night only cache for whomever shows up to hunt. I recommend the group takes the cache with when you all leave and maybe give it to the keeper of the spike to place for the next weeks gathering. If not, just return it to me and I'll use it elsewhere.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=23446

(may not be viewable until approved)

-

While reading a review of the location I noticed it said...

quote:
A lovely pastoral setting makes this burger joint a perfect country-ride destination

pastoral? It's serene, but not heavenly

Although not a real word, I belive they should have said "pastur(e)al" icon_smile.gif

-

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

Is that one of my old golden spikes turned TB, or did someone create a counterfit? icon_smile.gif

While not yet approved, here's the post for the DK replacement - a one night only cache for whomever shows up to hunt. I recommend the group takes the cache with when you all leave and maybe give it to the keeper of the spike to place for the next weeks gathering. If not, just return it to me and I'll use it elsewhere.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=23446

Yup.. It's one of your golden spikes. I think I got it out of my first cache that I hid. Just before I started playing, I remeber reading about a get-together where one of your golden spikes could be turned in for a free drink. Since there is usually some sort of drinking envolved in these Wednesday night things, I figured it would be appropriate icon_biggrin.gif

Go to Helvetia! (Dinah's Ghost) should be fun! Thanks for setting it up icon_wink.gif

I'm thinking we should meet up at the tavern around 7:30 or 8pm. Should give us enough time to enjoy some food and drink while we wait for it to get dark.

Hope to see many faces this coming Wednesday!

-fractal

Even though Chad and I never manage to make it to these things ...I work out in the Hillsboro area, so I'll try to actually make it to the next meeting. I don't get off work till 8pm, so expect me to show up around 8:30.

"What you do today will cost you a day of your life." --jabber's sig on /. and k5.

for those who aren't html literate, some simple formatting tags follow. these are but a few of a myriad of html tags, but enough for you to do simple formatting when you create a new cache page.

most tags have a begin and end tag in the form

(begin) and (end)

some tags don't need to be ended (like

and

)

paragraph seperator - add some whitespace between paragraphs

line break - adds a line break (carriage return)

or bolds what's between the begin and end tags

italicize text between tags

- centers the text between tags on the page

check out any online HTML tutorial for more.

-

Sorry, pdx. I didn't mean to imply you weren't knowledgeable about html tags. I just thought I'd throw that out for anyone interested. After you mentioned the format was ugly, it occurred to me that others who rely on the approvers to format their posts might find this stuff useful.

-

Speaking of ugly pages ...I implore ...nay, BEG all of you out there ...please do NOT put backgrounds on the cache pages.

Here's an excellent example of why you should not put a picture as the background:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22275 ...Notice how the links at the bottom (in black) kinda disappear? I checked this page out in three web browsers - Internet Explorer, Mozilla and Konqueror. In all three it is quite difficult to read that text at the bottom.

Thankfully, the background image isn't straight up ugly. But it doesn't really add anything to the cache page. If you want me to see what the area is like, great! Post a picture. If I want to see it, I'll click on the link.

Besides the aesthetics, there's the practical: That particular picture is about 110KB. For those on a modem or, god forbid, wireless device, that picture is going to take a anywhere from 25 seconds to about 75 seconds to load. A web browser will sit and wait while that picture, which adds nothing to the cache page, loads. You can't click on anything. Just sit ...and wait.

Pictures embedded in the cache page are questionable, but done in a thoughtful manner - IE, the picture isn't massive, the cache page text isn't all screwed up, etc ...It's ok.

Here's a good example of a cache page with a picture (IMO): http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=22264

That all being said ...most cache pages I checked out (about 50 in succession) look great. Most people are using the forms as Jeremy intended. A bit of text is bold here and there and that's it to the modifications.

To everyone else getting creative ...spend it on the cache container, the contents of the cache container, the log book or anything else. I won't speak for anyone else, but if the cache page is downright ugly or annoying, I'll be skipping that cache.

Lastly ...I hope I haven't offended anyone here. I'm not trying to start a war or a troll. It's just something to keep in mind the next time you post a cache.

"What you do today will cost you a day of your life." --jabber's sig on /. and k5.

I just read about the Hillwilly incident and I'm having second thoughts about replacing the DK cache, even if just for the one evening. Even if I managed to replace it without incident, I'd hate to hear those of you who hunt it tomorrow night getting busted and having to go through the same dreadful process.

I'll see if I can find an area nearby which will afford the same night hunting fun without requiring anyone to trespass. If you've printed the Go to Helvetia page already, check it again before you head for the pub to ensure I've been able to do so. If not, I'll post so here.

In the meantime, you might want to check into some other potential cache(s) to hunt.

-

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

In the meantime, you might want to check into some other potential cache(s) to hunt.

Although the original intent of the "don't find this cache" was to make it as unfun as possible, i can tell by reading the 'found it' logs that that same intent has been thoroughly negated. So perhaps that one would be appropriate.

Of course, we could all go out to the 'stoller cache' and try to find out who was sending the westsiders on the wild goose chase.

As a last resort, maybe laurencat could but on a sensible business suit and we could all go out to 'fight the future.'

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Actually, the CacheAholics cache was meant as a tongue-in-cheek jab at the 'finds for sake of the count' form of caching. It was intended to be comical and result in comical logs, which seems to be exactly what's happening.

I don't think this one would be a good night hunt, especially by a group, due to it's close proximity to lots of homes (one of which is mine). While I'd get a kick out of it, my neighbors might get suspicious and call the cops when they see/hear a gang of flashlight toting revellers strolling around in the woods.

I've got some spots noted on the map nearby to the tavern which might make for a fun night hunt. I'll be heading out there directly after work tomorrow (3:00-4:00). If found suitable, I'll just alter the coords on the Go To Helvetia cache and you can still hunt it after the sun goes down icon_smile.gif

-

[This message was edited by makaio on May 28, 2002 at 11:42 PM.]

I just returned home from placing Dinah's Ghost. Please reprint the cache page if you've already printed it. Also re-download the coordinates. And bring a flshlight and shoes you don't mind getting muddy. If I don't make it, please take the cache with you after locating it (assuming you do - I couldn't beta test it during daylight).

-

thank goodness oregone has it now it won't be in in the boondocks (aka Hillsboro or anywere over 2 miles farther on the OTHER side of the river)and I'll have a chance to see all you lovely geocachers.

If oregone's idea is anything like the one i suggested i am looking forward to it. As long as i can I have a cocktail, I am tired of beer.

[This message was edited by bellemanda on June 04, 2002 at 09:33 AM.]

Ok, ok. Sorry this has taken so long. My original plan was to make a neat little urban cache for this wednesday, but it hasn't been working out. So let's just all go to the Lowbrow Lounge around 8 this wednesday. Sorry for the lack of creativity on this one guys.

I think it's near nw 13th and hoyt. I'll post the coords as soon as i can figure them out.

see y'all wednesday!

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed