Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
BK-Hunters

Selfie

35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

What is a selfie: It is a photograph of yourself, taken by yourself. It's usually taken by activating the front-facing camera on most smartphones, holding the smartphone out in front of yourself with one arm, and snapping a photograph.

While in Montana we noticed many "Selfie" spots at tourist attractions. These can be either be on the floor or mounted on a post.

Has anyone else found these "Selfie Spots"?

We think this would be a great category.

1. They are located at a place of interest

2. They are positioned at a great location to highlight the point of interest.

3. Selfies are easy to do with a smart phone or other media.

Requirements:

Must be a Selfie spot in a permanent location

One photograph of the Selfie spot

One photograph of the highlighted location with the Selfie spot in the photograph (with or without you in the photograph)

One photograph of the tourist attraction sign or building with the name of the location that provided the Selfie spot

A brief description of the tourist attraction - minimum three sentences as a personal account of your visit. Please include business hours and if seasonal: When are they open (months)

Variables:

Website of tourist attraction

Admission

Address

This brief description should get you started.

We are interested in knowing if this is worldwide. We feel this will become more popular, if not now in the near future.

Thought? Post your comments.

(Image to follow when we get back from wherever we're going right now.)

Edited by BK-Hunters

A category to post pictures of locations where people are supposed to take pictures of themselves in front of tourist attractions? I confess that I do have some difficulties to get the deeper meaning of the concept behind this category, but it does meet three of the four criteria, I guess. For me personally, it does not meet the interesting criterion at all, but if the majority supports it then fine.

My main problem is that this category does not add any new locations. All selfie spots are probably at locations that can already be posted to many categories. It is a pure by-catch category for number-aware cross posters. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is not Wow.

Never come across a selfie spot.

Can't help thinking that a place that is a selfie spot would probably be a place that was interesting enough to all ready have a waymark.

Posted (edited)

.... These can be either be on the floor or mounted on a post.

Sorry, but I don't quite get that. Is it some kind of hardware that is "mounted on a post"? Or a painted spot on the floor? Please give an example. Is it something like the Framed views maybe? If it is just a virtual spot for taking a selfie I agree that most will have a waymark already, but if there is something to take a picture of (like we take pictures of the frames for "Framed views", that would be something new to discuss.

Forget my question: Selfie spots

To answer your question: I've never seen something like this in the real world.

Edited by PISA-caching

Posted (edited)

.... These can be either be on the floor or mounted on a post.

Sorry, but I don't quite get that. Is it some kind of hardware that is "mounted on a post"? Or a painted spot on the floor? Please give an example. Is it something like the Framed views maybe? If it is just a virtual spot for taking a selfie I agree that most will have a waymark already, but if there is something to take a picture of (like we take pictures of the frames for "Framed views", that would be something new to discuss.

Forget my question: Selfie spots

To answer your question: I've never seen something like this in the real world.

The ones we found were white circles painted on pavement or concrete with text within apprising one that it is a selfie spot. The idea is that one stands on the circle to do a selfie. We have some pix which we're trying to post.

Forget my reply. I see you've found pix.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

Are these spots likely to be temporary? How soon will the paint fade away or the plastic sign disintegrate? Will the selfie-photograph fad soon be over? The framed-view waymarks that I have photographed are already legacy sites.

Are these spots likely to be temporary? How soon will the paint fade away or the plastic sign disintegrate? Will the selfie-photograph fad soon be over? The framed-view waymarks that I have photographed are already legacy sites.

When the selfie spot hype is over in the US, it will start here in Austria, because we're always 10 years late on new trends. :-)

Seriously spoken, I don't think that selfies will become oldfashioned in a few years. Many people have always wanted photos of themselves in front of the Eiffel Tower, the Taj Mahal or just in front of the restaurant where they had a fabulous meal. The only problem was that the technology wasn't good enough. So, for me, that's no reason for denying this idea.

On the other hand, I have never seen something a selfie spot during my holidays or in my hometown Vienna. Maybe they will start to appear in the next few years or never. If some marketing companies hear about it, they might start offering something like this to their customers and once a few customers have one, others will follow. Nobody knows, but if they are prevelant in the rest of the world, I would still vote yes, because we can't just have things that are wide-spread in all countries of the world.

We've never seen or heard of these in our country, but that's not to say it isn't a good idea, could be a tourist drawcard maybe, must mention it to our local tourism promoters and see if they are interested. Our thoughts: the whole idea of taking a selfie is you can do it anywhere, you don't need a spot marked on the ground! Millions of people are taking selfies every day, anywhere, anyplace, doing anything. Why would they seek out a marked spot for a selfie? Its a bit like Waymarking traffic lights, sure you can cross the roads there, but then again, you can cross the roads anywhere. Do we waymark traffic lights....um, no. Do we waymark selfie spots.....? Are they really global? Why would we herd human beings onto specially marked spots....could there be a hidden camera focused on taking photos of people taking photos of themselves? Hmmm, makes you wonder. We believe people will continue to find their own "selfie spots" without having to be told where to stand. But our minds are open at this stage, the new generation and their smart phones will do almost anything!

Here are a couple of examples of the ones we've encountered:

8999893c-873e-443f-b8f1-a1703693bd21.jpg

cccbfeb2-7555-4957-b669-c37f67cb9b8d.jpg

These look like a local Butte tourism initiative to us. Not sure it's global at this point. Glad you are having a fun trip :)

I saw my first one today in Ottawa. The one I saw is definitely temporary.

Can I just take this opportunity to say how much I hate the fact that "selfie" has become a commonly used term. We were just fine using the term "self portrait" all these years....why did we have to go and try to make it sound cutesie and stupid?

Posted (edited)

why did we have to go and try to make it sound cutesie and stupid?

Fewer syllables, I guess. That's how language tends to evolve, (or devolve, as I see it) from polysyllabic to monosyllabic words, except for Italian. :lol:

I love the language (English, that is) but as a Lethologicant I do find monosyllabic words easier to remember.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

I saw my first one today in Ottawa. The one I saw is definitely temporary.

And now Canada, however temporary.

Keith

I recently found these two picture posts, but no selfie spots. Didn't see any, and was actually looking. That picture post placed there by the Park is really cool with it's QR code.

Are picture posts like these WM worthy, or already have their own category?

Picture Post GSMNP.jpg

Selfie Spot GSMNP.jpg

I see these spots as convinience service for tourists, who do not have the time or intellectual capacity to find a good spot themselves. And yes, indeed, some places have a difficult surrounding, so they might be helpful for everyone. But they are still not interesting. They are places to see interesting objects, but these do belong to different categories. Would you support a category for "Parkings near Tourist Attractions"? Helpful, but not interesting as such.

1 hour ago, fi67 said:

I see these spots as convinience service for tourists, who do not have the time or intellectual capacity to find a good spot themselves. And yes, indeed, some places have a difficult surrounding, so they might be helpful for everyone. But they are still not interesting. They are places to see interesting objects, but these do belong to different categories. Would you support a category for "Parkings near Tourist Attractions"? Helpful, but not interesting as such.

Sorry, I find them quite useful. But I don't get your "for tourists, who do not have the time or intellectual capacity to find a good spot themselves". You should read closer about the picture post. It's not just a camera support for taking selfies.

Mission and Vision

Mission and Vision

The Digital Earth Watch (DEW) empowers citizens to observe, measure, and share their stories about changes in natural areas that are important to them. DEW does this by providing standardized, low-cost tools that anyone with a camera or smartphone can use to collect their own data, measure environmental change in their neighborhood, and contribute to a worldwide database by sharing repeat-digital photographs at Picture Posts that they set up and maintain. 

It is our vision that digital cameras and smartphones are routinely used as scientific tools, particularly at Picture Posts sites that enhance community efforts to conserve, promote, and sustain their open spaces and natural areas, both large and small.

Collaborating Institutions

Picture Post is part of Digital Earth Watch (DEW). DEW was developed through a partnership of institutions with support from NASA. Picture Post was created for DEW as a tool for non-scientists to monitor their environment and share their observations and discoveries. 
Click on the images to visit our partner sites.

Turns out that Picture Posts are a totally different concept than selfie spots, and the one example I provided was a post to hold a camera for taking selfies. What I have determined is that there are no Selfie Spots to be Waymarked that I can find.

You are right. I missed that link. This is indeed an entirely different beast.

I haven't heard of DEW or similar organizations before. I guess, we need some more data first (I am currently in the mountains with limited bandwidth, time and hardware), but for the moment I clearly prefer these location over selfie spots. What would that be called? "Official Locations for Crowd-Based Scientific Data Collection"? Well, no. That sounds clumsy. :huh:

7 hours ago, fi67 said:

You are right. I missed that link. This is indeed an entirely different beast.

I haven't heard of DEW or similar organizations before. I guess, we need some more data first (I am currently in the mountains with limited bandwidth, time and hardware), but for the moment I clearly prefer these location over selfie spots. What would that be called? "Official Locations for Crowd-Based Scientific Data Collection"? Well, no. That sounds clumsy. :huh:

I just got back from the mountains on a Virtual geocaching and Waymarking trip, and when I posted those photos yesterday I had not followed up on that QR code link that tells about that picture post. There was a historic wildfire in the area last year, and that mountain don't look the same. I believe there are two more picture posts in the area, but they are not common.  The Selfie spots are interesting to me, but I have been unable to locate and examples. The camera support is not interesting, and those are few and far between as well there in the National Park.

They remind me of Earth Treking, which was citizens gathering scientific data. Something akin to EarthCaching and gathering data. I do believe Picture Posts are of enough interest to have their own category, but I would gladly list them anywhere accepted.

Picture Post GSMNP 1.jpg

MP, is it possible to post a close up of the text on the sign so we can read it? 

Or perhaps transcribe it.

I think they are instructions...

Thanks. Barb of BK-Hunters

I tried three QR readers, all failed. Perhaps there is someone who can do this. I could transcribe this with an OCR, however the text is too blurred when I copied the image.  

Can someone assist with providing the text on the sign. 

It would be helpful to understand the instructions. Or what else is on the sign. 

The location is already WM'd Carlos Campbell Overlook in GSMNP

Instructions are blurred, but the round top part of the picture post is marked N, S, E, W, ect. Take a picture and upload, include what direction the photo was taken.

That is the only one in Great Smokey Mountains National Park, with several more in the US and one in Australia.

On 7/29/2017 at 8:16 AM, BK-Hunters said:

I tried three QR readers, all failed. Perhaps there is someone who can do this.

My QR code reader transcribed it to this URL : http://go.nps.gov/post3

MP, you sure brought to our attention an interesting idea. 

I found several websites about the Digital Earth Watch (DEW). 

When we were at Glacier National Park in Montana, we were asked if we were photographers. First clue, both of us were carrying cameras, tripod, and camera bags. Second clue, we inquired about Ansel Adams locations and environmental changes within the park. 

We were encouraged to participate in the photo project to document changes of the glaciers to compare current photos to those taken years ago. (Current prediction is the glaciers will be completely melted by 2030.)

As far as we understood, there are specific areas that need to be documented with a map of desired locations. Some of these area are very remote, and do not recall any mention of camera posts being installed. 

As awareness increases to global changes, projects such as these will become more common. Whether there will be camera post is yet to be determined. 

Simply: I like the idea of camera posts to be included. 

Thoughts? 

Picture Post logo

The National Park Service is working with Picture Post to host the photos taken here.

Click below to upload your own pictures or explore past photos.

CAVinoGal, thank you very much for providing us with the QR transcription.

I thought, perhaps, it would be something like that. 

Now it still would be nice if we knew what was on the sign. 

Maybe if MP is in the area again an image"close-up" of the sign or perhaps a transcription of the sign would be nice, or am I opening a can of "fishing" worms? :rolleyes:

54 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

MP, you sure brought to our attention an interesting idea. 

I found several websites about the Digital Earth Watch (DEW). 

When we were at Glacier National Park in Montana, we were asked if we were photographers. First clue, both of us were carrying cameras, tripod, and camera bags. Second clue, we inquired about Ansel Adams locations and environmental changes within the park. 

We were encouraged to participate in the photo project to document changes of the glaciers to compare current photos to those taken years ago. (Current prediction is the glaciers will be completely melted by 2030.)

As far as we understood, there are specific areas that need to be documented with a map of desired locations. Some of these area are very remote, and do not recall any mention of camera posts being installed. 

As awareness increases to global changes, projects such as these will become more common. Whether there will be camera post is yet to be determined. 

Simply: I like the idea of camera posts to be included. 

Thoughts? 

I feel that they are too different to be included in the same category as selfies and deserve their own category because they are about scientific research.

On 12/4/2017 at 10:07 PM, Manville Possum said:

Here is selfie spot I came upon.

Lessee now... ...you started looking for one of these in July and it's now December. You probably need to sit down and take a break.

Did you get all 10 locations, and did you manage to snag a T shirt over Thanksgiving?

Keith

4 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Lessee now... ...you started looking for one of these in July and it's now December. You probably need to sit down and take a break.

Did you get all 10 locations, and did you manage to snag a T shirt over Thanksgiving?

Keith

Actually I just stumbled upon this one and remembered this thread and posted here to show support. :)