Find a Cache by the Name?

hoangtrunglien

I have almost six years searched all the caches (also when logging) with the cache name - where is that function now, I cannot find it??

Few years ago it was even better, because you could just write some part of the name, even in the middle of it, and the page was found. After that they downgraded this and I had to know the first word of the name...but now...

At least I cannot get anything out when writing the name in the field: “Geocache Name Contains ...”

It cannot be true that you have to move some of the filters and that there would be no possibility to directly find a cache by the name???

And no one can remember those GC numbers of different caches, I only remember the names - always! This bug cannot be real - HELP ME!!!

In the menu bar at the top of most pages on geocaching.com select

Play > Find a Geocache

Below the "Search the millions of geocaches worldwide" banner is an input box and an "Add Filters" button. Select the "Add Filters" button.

If you're a premium member, then you can use the "Geocache Name Contains ..." field.

If you aren't a premium member, then you can use Google. For example, the search string:

site:www.geocaching.com ANX

returns results that include ANX: The Angle of Eternity at the top of the list.

Since the OP is a Basic Member, then the Advanced Search filters will not work - so I'd suggest using either:

(1) Google (as niraD suggested above), although I'd suggest including site:www.geocaching.com/geocache instead of just site:www.geocaching.com in the search field.

or

(2) The old search page: https://www.geocaching.com/seek/

No guarantees of how long this page will be available, and note that this page only searches for caches that "start with" the text you enter into the search box.

• Helpful 1
(1) Google (as niraD suggested above), although I'd suggest including site:www.geocaching.com/geocache instead of just site:www.geocaching.com in the search field.
Note that

site:www.geocaching.com/seek [keywords]

seems to be indexed better than

site:www.geocaching.com/geocache [keywords]

But neither is complete. Some pages seem to be indexed in /seek but not in /geocache, and others are vice versa.

Note that

site:www.geocaching.com/seek [keywords]

seems to be indexed better than

site:www.geocaching.com/geocache [keywords]

But neither is complete. Some pages seem to be indexed in /seek but not in /geocache, and others are vice versa.

Hhmmm. I didn't think about including /seek in the Google search. I just commented that including /geocache would be better than just geocaching.com Your original suggestion was without any suffix, either /seek or /geocache.

I have almost six years searched all the caches (also when logging) with the cache name - where is that function now, I cannot find it??

Few years ago it was even better, because you could just write some part of the name, even in the middle of it, and the page was found. After that they downgraded this and I had to know the first word of the name...but now...

At least I cannot get anything out when writing the name in the field: “Geocache Name Contains ...”

It cannot be true that you have to move some of the filters and that there would be no possibility to directly find a cache by the name???

And no one can remember those GC numbers of different caches, I only remember the names - always! This bug cannot be real - HELP ME!!!

I agree with noncentric, since this sock account you used to post here is a basic account, google, or the "old search" may be a good idea.

Of course one of the other posts on advanced search/add filters may be best, if your real account is premium. :)

On 6/23/2017 at 12:37 PM, niraD said:

In the menu bar at the top of most pages on geocaching.com select

Play > Find a Geocache

Below the "Search the millions of geocaches worldwide" banner is an input box and an "Add Filters" button. Select the "Add Filters" button.

If you're a premium member, then you can use the "Geocache Name Contains ..." field.

If you aren't a premium member, then you can use Google. For example, the search string:

site:www.geocaching.com ANX

returns results that include ANX: The Angle of Eternity at the top of the list.

So if I enter the name of the desired cache "Daddy's Fishing Hole" and nothing show up I can surmise it is archived? It seems to be even an archived cache would show though. 

That cache was identified as the 1 millionth placed cache, placed somewhere near Chambersburg, Pa. I think maybe 2014. I see nothing of that cache. I do believe there are several caches that have been identified at the 1 millionth on emplaced. Probably all were close and in the running but in a batch published a solitary cache may not so identified. Just curios.

• Funny 1