64ST... Help Me Understand....

I'm wanting a new GPS. Because my 60csx is seeing its last days... :( The 64st seems like the way to go.

I'm not a techie. The person that I bought the 60csx from set everything up for me 8 years ago. They also taught me how to load pocket Queries using GSAK.

When I made the switch to a MAC, I started to use MacCaching.

About two years ago, I bought the Garmin street map, thinking that I would update the street maps on my Garmin 60csx... sad to say, It never uploaded and Garmin Express never recognized it :(.

Called Garmin two years and they said that the 60csx was out of date and not fully supported... I ate the $80 and moved on in life. It was never able to fully load. And after I tried everything that I could while the Garmin support service man was on the line, my 60CSX never worked the same... I stopped using it...

I've been Geocahcing on and off for the past 8 years. The past couple of years I've been using my iPhone. But, now, I am starting to really get back into Geocaching. I want to get out there more and go to places that may not get Phone reception.

I just recently tried my Garmin 60csx and its still not working the same. It keeps freezing, shutting down, etc...

That's why I'm thinking about getting a new GPS. The 64St looks like the one..?

I want to use it for driving, hiking, biking, and especially Geocaching in the mountains.

However, I have a question that Amazon doesn't answer. Actually, there are multiple different answers and I thought that I would ask the Geocaching Community:

Remember, I'm not a techie at all.. Sorry if these questions are a bit newbie.

This is the one was looking at on Amazon: Garmin GPSMAP 64st, TOPO U.S. 100K with High-Sensitivity GPS and GLONASS Receiver

My questions:

1. Is this unit good to go? Would this unit have street maps already on it? On Amazon, some people have said yes if you zoom in and others said no and it's just shows freeways and cities...?

2. Am I correct that MacCaching is not the way to go anymore that iCaching is the way? Is it easy to upload Pocket Queries onto the 64st using iCaching?

3. I read somewhere, I cant remember where, that this unit auto updates, like Google Maps kind of thing....? True?

Thanks for any help!

1. So... yes and no.

The topo map included with the handheld units is not routable. It does show streets, but the device does not lock to them or give your turn by turn directions. For that you would either need to purchase City Navigator, one (or more) of the regional 24k topo maps from Garmin, or use the Open Street Maps for free.

That said, you could also save some money and download free topo maps from www.gpsfiledepot.com. These maps are generally more detailed than the Topo 100k, and while they're not routable, did I mention that they're free?

I don't know that I'd rely on a 64s as a driving GPS. The screen is small and low resolution, and the buttons make setting up your navigation a bit of a pain, especially if you have to do it while driving. The Oregons have a similar sized screen, but it's higher resolution. It also has a Nuvi-like interface to use while driving. The Montanas have a larger screen and also have a nuvi-like interface for driving. I use my Oregon 600 with a custom made profile to drive to geocaches. But for general vehicle navigation, I have a Nuvi - a dedicated car GPS.

2. I believe that MacCaching is no longer maintained and updated. So, yes, iCaching would be the mac cache manager of choice. But it's not necessary. You can load GPX files directly to all modern GPS devices, which means you can download PQ files and unzip them directly to the GPX folder on your device or SD card. Therefore, no need for iCaching. But if you do decide to use iCaching, the answer is yes, you can either import the downloaded PQ files into the program, or download them directly from within via API.

3. No, there is no automatic updating of anything on the 64 series. You have to plug it in and run Garmin Express to update firmware, and you have to buy or install free 3rd party maps to keep them updated. Geocaches must be downloaded and reloaded to update.

I know it doesn't look like your old 60csx, but the Newer Oregon 7x0 series is the only GPSr from Garmin that allows direct access to your Geocaching.com premium membership data (via bluetooth phone connection or wi-fi), and it updates firmware wirelessly as well, so you never have to connect it to a computer!

See Oregon 7x0 > Features > Connected Features.

Also, see the Maps page for more mapping options!

1. So... yes and no.

The topo map included with the handheld units is not routable. It does show streets, but the device does not lock to them or give your turn by turn directions. For that you would either need to purchase City Navigator, one (or more) of the regional 24k topo maps from Garmin, or use the Open Street Maps for free.

That said, you could also save some money and download free topo maps from www.gpsfiledepot.com. These maps are generally more detailed than the Topo 100k, and while they're not routable, did I mention that they're free?

I don't know that I'd rely on a 64s as a driving GPS. The screen is small and low resolution, and the buttons make setting up your navigation a bit of a pain, especially if you have to do it while driving. The Oregons have a similar sized screen, but it's higher resolution. It also has a Nuvi-like interface to use while driving. The Montanas have a larger screen and also have a nuvi-like interface for driving. I use my Oregon 600 with a custom made profile to drive to geocaches. But for general vehicle navigation, I have a Nuvi - a dedicated car GPS.

2. I believe that MacCaching is no longer maintained and updated. So, yes, iCaching would be the mac cache manager of choice. But it's not necessary. You can load GPX files directly to all modern GPS devices, which means you can download PQ files and unzip them directly to the GPX folder on your device or SD card. Therefore, no need for iCaching. But if you do decide to use iCaching, the answer is yes, you can either import the downloaded PQ files into the program, or download them directly from within via API.

3. No, there is no automatic updating of anything on the 64 series. You have to plug it in and run Garmin Express to update firmware, and you have to buy or install free 3rd party maps to keep them updated. Geocaches must be downloaded and reloaded to update.

WOW! Thank you so much, Mineral2!

You answered questions that I've ben trying to find out for a while! It makes sense now why the answers on Amazon seemed ambiguous.

It does have street view, but that's all you can do with it.... see it. It doesn't lock onto the streets and navigate following the road. That's... funny, I wonder why? It has to be some money reason...?

I have to buy the Garmin City Maps things for $80 and reload the Garmin Express onto my computer.

You are correct in using this thing for driving. I think I just typed that there as a matter of habit. My phone works fine for my basic needs when driving...

When I first started geocaching, I did it for health reasons... to get out and being more active. Well, my health is becoming an issue again and I need to get back out there. I plan to get back into biking, hiking and going to the mountains again.

I assume the 64st, like my 60csx, will help when I'm riding my bike, hiking in the mountains and on the lonely roads with out phone service...

And, wow... Just plug the GPS into the computer> go to Geocahcing.com> goto my PQs> and let the magic happen....?

But, the magic is something that I don't understand...

Before, I would download a PQ, save that file onto my desktop> open MacCaching> load the files into there> then press a button in MacCaching, and it automatically puts it into my GPS that I attached using a USB cable.

I know the technology has changed a lot and I've been using old technology for a while, but... I would just plug my 64st in the computer (via USB) and in Geocahing.com there a "button" to press in the PQ section that would just do the magic for me?

Well, anyways, I guess that question is not important right now. After I get the 64st, probably this afternoon, and, after I set up the street maps, I'll come back and ask more questions.

Thank you very much!

I feel like it's going to be when I got my first smart phone... scary, hard, mind-blowing, but fun!

Mineral2, Thank you !

Edited by sleepysnails

You answered questions that I've ben trying to find out for a while! It makes sense now why the answers on Amazon seemed ambiguous.

It does have street view, but that's all you can do with it.... see it. It doesn't lock onto the streets and navigate following the road. That's... funny, I wonder why? It has to be some money reason...?

I have to buy the Garmin City Maps things for $80 and reload the Garmin Express onto my computer.

You are correct in using this thing for driving. I think I just typed that there as a matter of habit. My phone works fine for my basic needs when driving...

When I first started geocaching, I did it for health reasons... to get out and being more active. Well, my health is becoming an issue again and I need to get back out there. I plan to get back into biking, hiking and going to the mountains again.

I assume the 64st, like my 60csx, will help when I'm riding my bike, hiking in the mountains and on the lonely roads with out phone service...

And, wow... Just plug the GPS into the computer> go to Geocahcing.com> goto my PQs> and let the magic happen....?

Before, I would download a PQ, save that file onto my desktop> open MacCaching> load the files into there> then press a button in MacCaching, and it automatically puts it into my GPS that I attached using a USB cable.

I know the technology has changed a lot and I've been using old technology for a while, but... I would just plug my 64st in the computer (via USB) and in Geocahing.com there a "button" to press in the PQ section that would just do the magic for me?

Well, anyways, I guess that question is not important right now. After I get the 64st, probably this afternoon, and, after I set up the street maps, I'll come back and ask more questions.

Thank you very much!

I feel like it's going to be when I got my first smart phone... scary, hard, mind-blowing, but fun!

Mineral2, Thank you !

1. So... yes and no.

Thank you very much!

Mineral2, Thank you !

You will still have to download the PQ's, unzip them, then copy the GPX files to the Garmin\GPX\ directory on the new GPSr. - That's the magic!

1. So... yes and no.

Thank you very much!

Mineral2, Thank you !

You will still have to download the PQ's, unzip them, then copy the GPX files to the Garmin\GPX\ directory on the new GPSr. - That's the magic!

Hello Atlas Cached!

Thanks for "the reveal" on the magic! Yeah, I assumed that my imagination was a bit too simple!

I saw your suggestion on the Oregon and saw this it was a bit more that I had wanted to spend.

The idea of true paperless and connectivity like that... yeah, that's the magic!

But, I guess I can't afford the Penn and Teller Magic show... but, maybe the Burt Wonderstone magic show! :)

At any rate, thanks for the replies and responses! I know that I'll have some more questions about the 64st. And I knew that this was the place to start asking, not Amazon! Helpful friendly people who know their stuff!

Thank you!

I just want to thank the people that had responded to my post.

An update: I got the 64St about 10 days ago.

I love it! I've been caching like I did years ago. It's a long story of why I stopped for a few/ several years, but I love the fact that I'm back into Geocaching! For many other reasons, but one of them was when my old GPS didn't work and I relied on my phone, I never could do any cache runs because my battery would run out very soon and I was always worried about the amount of data that I was transferring every time I had to up load the maps or look up caches on my phone. So, I only cached when I was out and if there was one near by. But, now... It's very different.

The 64st can give activity logs, descriptions, hints, and it can be set to a Geocahcing profile focus function!

I also forgot how much more accurate and faster in finding the coordinates the GPS is compared to the phone!

Atlas Cached suggested the Oregon series, Yeah... That would have been Star Trek technology to me and would have been the way, but it was a bit too much. If I had more money to spend, the Oregon series would have been the way to go! And thanks for reminding me how to upload my PQ files into my Garmin!

Red 90: Yeah... the only downfall that I have with the 60st is the screen size, but this totally fits in what I was able to spend. And, I'm quite satisfied with my 64st.

Mineral2, Thank you for your suggestions and the open source maps. My Garmin is now locked to the streets for directions. Yeah, I use Siri for that, but just the other day, I was caches with a friend and my phone lost all reception... in an urban city?!?! ... Maybe tall buildings, maybe too many telephone poles....? Who knows why? I had my Garmin and my friend used it to tell me the street directions and it took is there!

Very soon, I'm going on my bike rides and a little bit longer from now, I'm planning to do some hikes!

At any rate, I just wanted to thank people here for you help!

Hopefully you've discovered profiles. I don't remember if the 60csx had them, but they've been around since ~ 2008? The Colorado units and newer. Anyway, the GPS can be customized for each activity using profiles, which is nice because the data that I want to see when geocaching is not the same data I want to see when hiking, which is not the same data I want to see when cycling. You can customize everything from which data fields and dashboards are displayed on each page to which map layers are enabled/disabled.

Enjoy!