Turning off the proximity alert?

It really isn't necessary and can be distracting or worse, draw the attention of nearby muggles.

I feel the proximity alert is a good training tool for newbies, but sure, shouldn't be needed from one caching a while.

- It gives them a rough idea of when to put that gps away and start looking. :)

Using v. 5.4.1, open the app and then go into Settings, there are only two settings to set: Use metric system and Close to cache warning.

If you don't have v. 5.4.1, it should be available as an update or new download through the Google Play store.

Using v. 5.4.1, open the app and then go into Settings, there are only two settings to set: Use metric system and Close to cache warning.

If you don't have v. 5.4.1, it should be available as an update or new download through the Google Play store.

Thank you both! I found I needed to update my version and now I can turn off that proximity alert.

The alert I want to disable is the one that pops up when I'm not running the Geocaching app at all, letting me know that there may be geocaches near me. But I changed the setting in the app, and I'm still seeing them.

I think the setting in the app only applies to "you're getting close" alerts when you're running the app and actively navigating towards the cache.

I think the setting in the app only applies to "you're getting close" alerts when you're running the app and actively navigating towards the cache.

That's the one I'm talking about.

The alert I want to disable is the one that pops up when I'm not running the Geocaching app at all, letting me know that there may be geocaches near me. But I changed the setting in the app, and I'm still seeing them.

I have never seen that. Granted, I usually don't have location services turned on, but still, if it was a function on the Android app, I'd expect to have seen it by now.

Are you sure that's not happening through the iPhone widget?

I have never seen that. Granted, I usually don't have location services turned on, but still, if it was a function on the Android app, I'd expect to have seen it by now.

Would that widget be installed automatically when I install the Android version of Groundspeak's Geocaching app?

Would that widget be installed automatically when I install the Android version of Groundspeak's Geocaching app?

No, it's an iphone thing, which I didn't think was available on Android. (I know this is the android forum but wanted to make sure you weren't talking about an apple device.)

I've run the classic official app and currently run the current official app on my current phone, and I have never seen either do a push notification for nearby caches.

I've just checked, and it looks like there is currently an ongoing Marketing Campaign to show a push notification to new users, which sounds like what you were seeing. It should only show up once; if it's more frequent that sounds like a bug on our part.

I've just checked, and it looks like there is currently an ongoing Marketing Campaign to show a push notification to new users, which sounds like what you were seeing. It should only show up once; if it's more frequent that sounds like a bug on our part.
Interesting. I've seen it at least twice, maybe three times now.

But I probably look like a new user to the Geocaching app, because I haven't done much with it since I installed it. Basically, I've searched for caches by location, and by GC code, and that's it. I've navigated to caches and posted field notes drafts with an API partner app.