Waymarker's Accolades

Jake39

It's always "nice" to get feedback from owners of waymarks.

... after 'Reviewing' a previously erroneously approved Waymark ...this came in..

(not a 1st from this person)

Quote:

XXX

Edited by wayfrog
Quote contained profane language
On 19.6.2017 at 11:06 PM, Jake39 said:

It's always "nice" to get feedback from owners of waymarks.

... after 'Reviewing' a previously erroneously approved Waymark ...this came in..

(not a 1st from this person)

Quote:

XXX

Nice - I guess they really don't like me for doing denying waymarks. Just a hint, I will always give a reason for denial. It doesn't matter to me one iota if the person getting denied gets upset, look at the reason given, fix the issue, and resumbit the waymark.

I had one of my waymark submissions denied yesterday - first denial in over eighteen months. Because I didn't look at the requirements for the new category I was posting in, I didn't post enough pictures. I fixed the issue and got the waymark approved. I didn't get mad; the approver didn't get mad - see how it's supposed to work?

BTW, I am a stickler for category requirements and I have probably upset my fair share of submitters - IT'S NOT PERSONAL - reviewers want proper waymarks per the category description that they may not have had any hand in writing. That's it.

Jake39, it's an honor to be an officer for you under the Barber Poles.

Edited by wayfrog
Quote contained profane language

This is definitely a no-go. As a poster I think that I have the right to disagree with the reviewer. I can even question the category description. But the reviewers and leaders have the last word and if I wouldn't be able to deal with that, I should look for a new hobby.

However, there are some categories that make it a little more difficult (for me) to follow the rules than others. I don't want to give any examples, but I have seen descriptions that include typos, which makes it harder to translate them. Others have links to websites which are supposed to list items allowed in this category, but the link doesn't work anymore. And there are also old categories, that have very short descriptions without further Details or exceptions. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the description in this case is the problem AND all this is no reason to communicate with a reviewer like that. But, it might be a tiny portion of this users frustration.

I really hope that he/she is part of a very tiny minority in the Waymarking community.

This is definitely a no-go. As a poster I think that I have the right to disagree with the reviewer. I can even question the category description. But the reviewers and leaders have the last word and if I wouldn't be able to deal with that, I should look for a new hobby.

However, there are some categories that make it a little more difficult (for me) to follow the rules than others. I don't want to give any examples, but I have seen descriptions that include typos, which makes it harder to translate them. Others have links to websites which are supposed to list items allowed in this category, but the link doesn't work anymore. And there are also old categories, that have very short descriptions without further Details or exceptions. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the description in this case is the problem AND all this is no reason to communicate with a reviewer like that. But, it might be a tiny portion of this users frustration.

I really hope that he/she is part of a very tiny minority in the Waymarking community.

That is a good point, BUT as with everything, there is a right way and a wrong way to disagree with the reviewer. Wishing the reviewer to go straight to Hades - probably the wrong way! :laughing: I also have some sympathy for those whose first language isn't English. I know I would definitely struggle if I had to waymark in anything other than English, (although my three years of French class has given me the meager ability to thank a French waymarker in French - YAY me! :laughing: )

Remember, that in a lot of cases, leaders of categories aren't the original creators of the category. Send a message if you need clarification or if a link is bad - I know that I would appreciate that courtesy!

I know I would definitely struggle if I had to waymark in anything other than English, (although my three years of French class has given me the meager ability to thank a French waymarker in French - YAY me! :laughing: )

Hint: Wikipedia can help you to create waymarks in different languages. My mother tongue is German and I learned English and Spanish at school, but lately I made a waymark in Englisch and Swedish with the help of Wikipedia. I just had to translate one word: "Source". B)

Remember, that in a lot of cases, leaders of categories aren't the original creators of the category. Send a message if you need clarification or if a link is bad - I know that I would appreciate that courtesy!

I tried that a few times (in vain), but will continue to do it.

I know I would definitely struggle if I had to waymark in anything other than English, (although my three years of French class has given me the meager ability to thank a French waymarker in French - YAY me! :laughing: )

Hint: Wikipedia can help you to create waymarks in different languages. My mother tongue is German and I learned English and Spanish at school, but lately I made a waymark in Englisch and Swedish with the help of Wikipedia. I just had to translate one word: "Source". B)

I tried that a few times (in vain), but will continue to do it.

Ah, the joys of being an officer... when I deny a waymark, I always send, from the category description, the exact reason for the denial. I got told by a newer waymarker that a standard line should be used as he checked several waymarks before posting. I resisted the urge to tell him/her that he/she obviously didn't look at my submissions in the category. Nope, I just do like I do at work, and advised that the category description must be followed. (RTSM or CD in this case). Okay, rant over.

Well, banner day for me.  I denied a waymark a couple of days ago - the poster did not like my answer as to why. He sends me a direct email telling me why I was wrong.  I send him an email back expanding my answer.  He says I'm condescending and I'm an idiot.  Oh, by the way, did I mention that this was his SEVENTH. waymark. EVER.???  Oy vey.  Sir, the Municipal Flag category is meant for single flags - not huge display of flags in a field commemorating some anniversary, that were taken down after the weekend.

• Upvote 1