Why so laggy the Etrex 30 compass?

Hello everybody,

Does anyone know why is so slow the Etrex 30 compass? I've compared it with Dakota 20 and Dakota 20 compass works so smootly but Etrex 30 is such slow. I would understand if it has GPS based compass just like etrex 10 but it has not! It has electronic based compass so I have no clue.

Setup > "Heading":

etrex30x-setup-heading.png

© navigation-professionell.de

Use "Auto" ("Off" when you do not need the compass, might save some battery)

Hans

Ok you don't understand me. :D So again my question is that why Etrex 30 compass works slowly. Check the Dakota 20 compass:

What a smooth and "realtime" speed right?

And now please check the etrex 30 compass speed on this video:

Why so slow? Why can't works such smoothly just like Dakota 20?

I'm sorry to say, but You asked "What settings". That's not difficult to understand, right?

My answer is spot on to that question.

You have running an autoroute on the etrex. It might be that you've set "Lock on road" when an autoroute is running. Check your settings again!

And please do me favour: Don't ask me which settings: Read the manual instead.

Hans

I'm sorry to say, but You asked "What settings". That's not difficult to understand, right?

My answer is spot on to that question.

You have running an autoroute on the etrex. It might be that you've set "Lock on road" when an autoroute is running. Check your settings again!

And please do me favour: Don't ask me which settings: Read the manual instead.

Hans

Indeed I asked "What settings" and the reason is that before my question comment Red90 answered something unclear thing about settings. And because I didn't understand his answer I asked "What are you talking about? What settings?". Yeah apologise me I have pretty poor english.

Anyway I don't think that is what I'm looking for. My question is more general as a "Setting issue". For example check this test video and look at the compass view part. It updates the direction so slow. but why?

The electronic compass turns on and off depending on the settings and the display changes to using the GPS for direction indication. Depending on your settings, the compass may not be on and that is why it seems to react slowly.

Have you gone and looked at the compass settings as shown by HHL?

yeah and I'm still asking about etrex 30. Just mentioned that I have only etrex 10. But nobody wanna play it, nobody wanna say it

nobody okayed it, they'd all rather hate it. Is it so hard to understand? :o Nevermind. But you still didn't answer for my last question.

Edited by klaszlo89

I don't understand. How can you tell us that the eTrex 30 compass is lagging and sticking when you don't have one? For all we know, you're asking about a problem that doesn't exist simply because you've read a few biased reviews on the internet.

Look, if there's anything about the eTrex line that doesn't perform the same or up to par from the GPSMap and Oregon lines, it's because the eTrex is a toy and the others are tools. They are purposely built to be under-specked and underpowered compared with their more mature siblings.

yeah and I'm still asking about etrex 30. Just mentioned that I have only etrex 10. But nobody wanna play it, nobody wanna say it

nobody okayed it, they'd all rather hate it. Is it so hard to understand?

Yes, it's very hard to understand. You asked about why the eTrex 30 compass is laggy compared to a Dakota 20, but later revealed that you own neither. Then, in the post quoted above, you strung together a bunch of English words for no apparent reason (are those song lyrics or something?). At this point, I don't understand anything that's going on in this discussion. If you ever buy an eTrex 30 and find that it really does have a laggy compass, feel free to come back here at that time and follow the suggestions that have been provided. Otherwise, what's the point of this discussion?

Moderator here. This thread is pretty nonsensical. It's OK if English isn't your primary language, but most of the helpful people here are English speakers. Stringing together nonsensical English words does not help them help you. Asking about a model you don't have and then arguing with the helpful answers you were given is not productive. Please be respectful of the time and accumulated knowledge of the people trying to help you by asking coherent questions. Device names and numbers matter. Etrex is a less performant product line than Dakota. They're less expensive for a reason.

Etrex 30 apparently had some firmware issues with the compass early in its life. See https://forums.garmin.com/archive/index.php/t-30468.html for example. Referencing five year old videos without firmware versions or context isn't that helpful.

Please try to ask more focused and coherent questions that reflect your actual experience of unmet expectations.

I see no problem with the question of the OP (klaszlo89). Not perfect English but clearly understandable. I also don't see what should be the problem not owning the device in question. One can still have a good impression about its features. Anyway.

My etrex30x seems to read-out the magnetometer and calculate the bearing only once per second. The compass motion therefore has quite a lag. Updating the bearing say ten times per second would make the compass motion appear smooth and aiming much more convenient. Shouldn't be much effort, neither in power consumption nor in computational cost but for some reason the device does it only approx once per second. I see no obvious setting that could increase the cadence of the magnetometer readout.

Still a nice device. It works e.g. excellent that when in motion it shows directions based on the GPS heading and when at rest switches to the magnetometer bearing. This might be a bit confusing at first but is absolutely logical and works well.