25K caches inc?

I have just bought a new Garmin Etrex 25 touch. Both the info on Amazon where I bought it, and its box say 250,000 geocaches included.

Anyone know how I can access these?

I have downloaded some local ones I wish to find but there don't seem to be any others on there. And of course no instruction manual - there never is on these things these days.

hope someone can help. I have searched through all the menus I can find

Lellynelly

Edited by Lellynelly

And of course no instruction manual - there never is on these things these days.

Manual

Thanks yes I found that but I need pictures like you used to get in old style manuals - e.g. it shows the screen and tells you what to press. I haven't even been able to successfully navigate the menu. I find thing accidentally but then can't find them again. and it doesn't tell you how to find the preload caches.

I have the same problem with my garmin dash cam. the 'manual' is so basic it doesn't tell you how to save footage to your computer.

IIRC, those "included" caches are on a GPX file in Garmin/GPX directory.

Most have been preloaded in there for some time, and could have been temp disabled, NM, or even archived by now.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean? whats a gpx file and where do I find a gpx directory?

whats a gpx file and where do I find a gpx directory?

You need to connect your GPS to a computer via USB cable.

Then you can see the content of your GPS memory as an external drive... open the Garmin folder and you will find inside a new one, called GPX.

GPX is a file format used for cache coords and details.

Edited by RuideAlmeida

The pre-installed caches are coming inside a GGZ file. You'll find this file here: [Garmin-Drive]:/Garmin/GGZ/

Accessing a cache from this file has do be done by the Geocaching App on the unit.

Where To? > Geocaches

More info: http://www.tramsoft....x_touch_en.html (scroll down for images)

Hans

I connected the device, found it on my computer, found the ggz file, but I can't open it.

If I go on to my unit to geocaches as you suggested, the only ones on there are the individual ones I have just put on to find tomorrow.

the description "250,000 geocaches include" suggests that they are already installed on the device.

like I said, they seem to be there on the computer when I'm connected but they just don't appear on the device :( :(.

One of the reasons I bought this device was because it said a 1/4 of a million caches were included on it

not happy

You are in the UK. It may be that none of the caches are near you. If they are more than 100 miles distant, they won't show up.

They are pretty useless anyway as they will all be very out of date. Use pocket queries or such to load caches local to yourself.

They won't show up ever if more than 100 miles for where you are. That is the way Garmin's search works.

It is possible that they have not loaded up as that happens sometimes. The solution is to change the file extension, reboot, change it back and reboot again.

Accessing a geocache:

1. Do NOT connect the unit with your computer.

2. Switch the unit ON.

3. Select the Geocaching profile

4. Hit the magnifying glass (Where To?)

5. Select "Geocaches"

6. Select a desired Geocache

7. Hit GO

NB: Have you followed the given link?

Hans

On 6/16/2017 at 8:24 PM, HHL said:

The pre-installed caches are coming inside a GGZ file. You'll find this file here: [Garmin-Drive]:/Garmin/GGZ/

Accessing a cache from this file has do be done by the Geocaching App on the unit.

Where To? > Geocaches

More info: http://www.tramsoft....x_touch_en.html (scroll down for images)

Hans

Resurrecting this thread from the mists of time as I've just bought a Garmin that said it cae pre-loaded with the 250,000...

1) Now Amazon have had this line disappear from their page

2) There is no Gamrmin/GGZ folder only a Garmin/GPX

3) When I go to Geocaches via the menu it says non have been loaded

OK, when I get them I may decide not to use them if they are all out of date etc. BUT it would be nice if I could actually see/find/use them to judge... anyone know where this mythical preloaded.ggz file can be found or is it 'call Garmin during work hours'... except I work too Garmin!

PP

Just spend some time using my christal ball but couldn'd see your garmin model. It would help a lot if you provided some basic info, maybe the model you bought can't use GGZ files.... If bought new and the 250000 caches are loaded you should have a ggz folder. You should also be able to see caches on the map ot in the cachelist.

7 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Just spend some time using my christal ball but couldn'd see your garmin model. It would help a lot if you provided some basic info, maybe the model you bought can't use GGZ files.... If bought new and the 250000 caches are loaded you should have a ggz folder. You should also be able to see caches on the map ot in the cachelist.

Apologies; thought I'd said - it's an eTrex 30x... I was under the impression (maybe incorrectly) that .ggz was the only way it would fit 250K on in one go due to file size/compactness and since, when I bought it, the description said 250K preloaded, that it could read .ggz.

If the Amazon description was wrong at the time it's still within a month so may return and get a 30 Tounch which still *does* say it has the 250K.

Don't buy a GPS based on having the pre-loaded geocaches. For one, that file is out of date already, and some of the caches may not be there anymore, and it's certainly missing many local caches in your area. You're a premium member, so it's better to just keep your eTrex 30x (unless you don't like the joystick interface, then it's worth looking at a different model) and make some pocket queries of your local stomping grounds. Not only will you get caches specific to your area, but the information will be up to date. Our recommendation for people who buy GPS models with the preloaded caches is to delete that file anyway. It was a nice gimmick to show off the new GGZ file format, but it has since lost its usefulness.

You can save geocaches as a GGZ file by importing all of your pocket queries into GSAK (windows) or iCaching (mac) for ggz export.

Edit: According to Garmin, the eTrex 30x does not support GGZ or unlimited geocaches. You will be limited to 5000 caches as GPX files. Unless you need the smaller size, instead of an eTrex Touch 35, you might see if you can find an Oregon 600 around the same price.

Edited by Mineral2

Searching this forum it looks like the 30x does NOT support ggz files. As mineral2 said, preloaded caches are useless. Some may have been archived and new ones are not included.

I don't consider the ggz format a gimmick, i don't use anything elseel on my oregon 600. You'll need software to load ghem though. I use Gsak.

2 hours ago, Purpleplodder said:

Apologies; thought I'd said - it's an eTrex 30x... I was under the impression (maybe incorrectly) that .ggz was the only way it would fit 250K on in one go due to file size/compactness and since, when I bought it, the description said 250K preloaded, that it could read .ggz.

If the Amazon description was wrong at the time it's still within a month so may return and get a 30 Tounch which still *does* say it has the 250K.

The eTrex x0 and x0x devices do not support GGZ, while the eTrex Touch series does support GGZ.

As others have stated, the data is usually several years old, and virtually useless. I also remove the preload.ggz file from all of my Garmin GPSr.

If you are going to spend the asking price for an eTrex Touch, you might as well get an Oregon 6x0. They can be had for about the same price, and the Oregon is far superior in every way to the eTrex.

• Helpful 1

Bumping a thread for a peripherally related model does indeed make it really hard for the volunteers here to help. Garmin really hasn't helped by calling three dozen different receivers "etrex", either.  I think everyone above has you on the right track.

Garmin's doc for that model should have taken you to https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=Sf7jHKwP2V53j6MoP8AeH8

Garmin's confusing naming scheme also makes it really easy for resellers - that are generally just copy/pasting words without ever actually touching the devices - to copy and paste a pile of words and forget to tweak a detail that's actually important to someone.  Take a look at https://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/etrexseriescomparison.htm for an example of someone that actually knows GPSes and has amassed some of the eTrexen and even it doesn't track .ggz support. Amazon sellers and makers tend to be pretty annoying about this; they'll get one product page that's well linked and has good reviews and keep using it for products that have very little to do with each other and then the reviews and comments all devolve into a shouting mess where people argue about features missing from the device that they were _sure_ was listed. (The SURFboard and Nighthawk pages are examples where people can think they're choosing color of the product and end up ordering a completely different product.) Be careful out there!

Welcome to the hobby, but please help others help you and remember to include full model information when asking for help. I think  that earlyer today I pointed someone to this forum from one of the other 643 places I am somewhat online just knowing that this group had the concentration of expertise and experience to work through this.

• Helpful 1