Geocache not showing up on app or computer

We are relatively new to this. I was looking at doing a geocache earlier today and parked my car within 10 meters of GZ. Landscapers were cutting the lawn right where the cache was. So, I decided to go back tonight with the family. I had seen a photo and knew that the cache was a Nalge bottle hidden inside a plastic fence post by the North Face store in Victor, NY. Anyway, we went back, found the cache and signed the log. Problem is, it's not showing up in the app or on this site in order for me to log the find. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I assume it is this one:

https://coord.info/GC4BT9G

The cache owner archived it yesterday so it will no longer show after being archived.

Oh, that's a disappointing geocide! It's not even announced here. But certainly the cache owner should have tidied up his garbage as well.

TO, sorry that your timing was not good. I'm sure you'll have more luck next time. But I suppose, given that the listing is not locked you should still be able to log it from the website.

Yes! That's the one! We are still unable to log it because it has been archived. I did reach out to the owner though. I read their comment in the log. What do you think happened?

It looks like Accounts Payable at Groundspeak forgot to send out the CO checks for New York this pay period. I get mine direct deposit; I'll have to see if the Minnesota checks were sent.

Yep, mine went through. Looks like a localized incident.

Yes! That's the one! We are still unable to log it because it has been archived. I did reach out to the owner though. I read their comment in the log. What do you think happened?

Even though it's archived, you can log it. Maybe not through the app but via the webpage itself.

Just a guess but the CO may be disgruntled with where geocaching is heading. Although it's still free to an extent, Groundspeak has made it more difficult for non paying people to geocache.

As a cache owner, i have seen this firsthand. Because most people coming in use the phone app, and because most of our caches are above the 1.5 threshold, find action of our caches is next to nil. It's a shame in that if we want people to see and log our caches, we have to make them as basic/simple/lame as possible. I'm not willing to do that so it's slow going around here. I have put quite a bit of time, money, and effort into our caches,,, and for what?

I have put quite a bit of time, money, and effort into our caches,,, and for what?

When you look back at your cache page after a few years, you'll have a few logs finally, but they might actually be interesting ones, someone taking the time (with a real keyboard maybe) to share their story. A page worth reading.

It's like 2005 all over again.

That's too bad. I understand your frustration. We were literally introduced to this 2 months ago, so we are using the phone app. While hiking, trail running, camping, canoeing, and mountain climbing (I guess basically anything that keeps us outside) are a big part of our lives, I'm embarrassed that we've never done this until now. We absolutely love it though. On a side note, what is the 1.5 threshold?

I have put quite a bit of time, money, and effort into our caches,,, and for what?

When you look back at your cache page after a few years, you'll have a few logs finally, but they might actually be interesting ones, someone taking the time (with a real keyboard maybe) to share their story. A page worth reading.

It's like 2005 all over again.

I'll make a more concerted effort at this. Thanks for this comment. I had been simply logging a thank you and an occasional longer comment. I guess I was following the examples laid out before me.

That's too bad. I understand your frustration. We were literally introduced to this 2 months ago, so we are using the phone app. While hiking, trail running, camping, canoeing, and mountain climbing (I guess basically anything that keeps us outside) are a big part of our lives, I'm embarrassed that we've never done this until now. We absolutely love it though. On a side note, what is the 1.5 threshold?

Groundspeak's phone app limits 'basic' members to caches with a difficulty rating of 1.5 or lower.

Debated OFTEN here in the forums, one of its purposes is to encourage players to put a little more investment into the hobby before exposing more intricate, more expensive, perhaps more vulnerable caches to incidental phone-cachers who may not have the perspective required to respectfully deal with other people's creations.

Good or bad? Bag-o-worms.

Groundspeak's phone app limits 'basic' members to caches with a difficulty rating of 1.5 or lower.

Debated OFTEN here in the forums, one of its purposes is to encourage players to put a little more investment into the hobby before exposing more intricate, more expensive, perhaps more vulnerable caches to incidental phone-cachers who may not have the perspective required to respectfully deal with other people's creations.

I have a "premium" membership using the Cachly app. Thanks for the clarification.

Because i had had a couple of problems with new cachers messing up caches, i was all for the limit. I didn't think it through to realize back then that most of the new players coming into the hobby were doing so with their phone. And out of those, many never got past basic membership. Of course this means that most of our caches don't get seen by new people. Never thought i'd say this but i wouldn't mind seeing the 1.5 limit lifted at this point.

Weird. That cache had been there for four years. And the owner had been a member of the geocaching community even longer. How did it take him this long to come to the "conclusion" that Groundspeak is "making money" off of his cache? Oy.

Indeed.

I guess he isn't getting paid to take the bottle out of the fence, either, which is why it was still there to find.

Weird. That cache had been there for four years. And the owner had been a member of the geocaching community even longer. How did it take him this long to come to the "conclusion" that Groundspeak is "making money" off of his cache? Oy.

Yep. The one and only cache he's ever hidden. I guess he expected that a company would review and store all the data about his cache for free, since devs and data storage don't cost anything.

---

People can certainly place as many caches as they want and let other people find those caches for free, but how do they expect cachers to know where their cache is placed? Not only that, but all non-PMO caches are still available to everyone for free - using the website, which is what existed when the promise was made to keep the game free. People can use the website on their phone, so yes - phone cachers can still access all non-PMO caches for free. If they want the added convenience of accessing them via the app, then pay for that convenience. Argh!

Yep. The one and only cache he's ever hidden. I guess he expected that a company would review and store all the data about his cache for free, since devs and data storage don't cost anything.

---

People can certainly place as many caches as they want and let other people find those caches for free, but how do they expect cachers to know where their cache is placed? Not only that, but all non-PMO caches are still available to everyone for free - using the website, which is what existed when the promise was made to keep the game free. People can use the website on their phone, so yes - phone cachers can still access all non-PMO caches for free. If they want the added convenience of accessing them via the app, then pay for that convenience. Argh!

Well, unless Groundspeak has changed policy, you don't have to be a premium paid member to hide a cache, and really you don't have to be a premium member to find it, unless it's marked as PMO. So really none of his arguments are valid. I wonder if he's a bit delusional and also buys into other conspiracy theories?

Well, give him a few days (or months) to clean up his "trash," and if he fails to do so, well... there's a free hide waiting to be claimed.

Matbe it's nit even a gs issue but the mall or whatever it is hidden at changed it's policy and is demanding an administrative fee for cache placement.

That doesn't explain this statement: "I am disabling this because I used my own time and money to place this along with the rest of the Geo community. I wasn't payed to place this and don't support you making money off of my work. I will no longer take part in geocaching and all of my friends will be disabling there geo's as well."