Delete your log

Very strange messages from the CO who uses a different ID on the cache page.

He has more or less demanded that I delete a found log. He seems to be a bit too proud of his D/T and for some reason does not believe we made the find. There is even mention of a VERY tall ladder being needed as a TOTT.

Should I just ignore him? Of course, the biggest question is why he didn't delete the log if he is in fact the CO. Other indications are he is.

I have to add he has a found log for this cache. As soon as I adopted some caches I deleted my found logs. I know I didn't have to at the time, but that is just me.

Did you sign the log?

If you did, kindly remind them, then ignore anything further. If the log gets deleted, email Groundspeak and they will restore it and lock it to prevent the CO from deleting again.

If you didn't, REGARDLESS OF THE REASON, they are right to delete the log.

I didn't think I needed to say I signed the log. Of course I signed the log.

From the weird messages it appears the CO did not even read my log. This started when I mentioned that I didn't get a souvenir because of the location. I didn't complain about it. I just added a note for information to others.

In one of my replies I did say that if he took the time to go find the log he would see we signed it. The problem is the person after us dropped it into an area that may make it impossible to retrieve.

I wasn't sure if I needed to contact a reviewer or Groundspeak if the log was deleted. Thanks for that info. I don't think he is going to do anything. I just found it very strange for an owner to tell me to delete a log. It must be that he knows he is wrong.

There is always one.

Very strange messages from the CO who uses a different ID on the cache page.

He has more or less demanded that I delete a found log. He seems to be a bit too proud of his D/T and for some reason does not believe we made the find. There is even mention of a VERY tall ladder being needed as a TOTT.

Should I just ignore him? Of course, the biggest question is why he didn't delete the log if he is in fact the CO. Other indications are he is.

I have to add he has a found log for this cache. As soon as I adopted some caches I deleted my found logs. I know I didn't have to at the time, but that is just me.

Did he adopt it?

If so, curious why this has some bearing on your issue...

It's perfectly fine to keep a Found It on a cache that you found prior to adoption. :)

We know of many COs who use a name different than their caching name for the cache page.

Sometimes the name they use if a gag, is relevant to the cache, or sometimes even a hint.

As others have said, your signature on the log stands, and the reason we tell folks to be sure to sign (JIC).

Some COs we know with issues, we make sure to take a pic of the log too (to show Groundspeak if need be). :)

Are you sure he didn't just mean the subsequent write note log you posted stating what a bummer it was that you didn't get a souvenir for Minnesota for finding the cache. Some COs prefer not to have these type of logs (which they may feel is irrelevant to their cache) included on the cache history.

I don't see a different id, he's just using another name on the cache page, but if you click on it you get to his profile and this is the id/CO that contacted you? When you make a cache page you can write whatever you want after the text "A cache by" , but it will link to the account of the CO.

So the cache was never adopted. I also don't see a found log from the CO, only owner maintenance logs etc. So nothing weird there either.

That he asks you to remove the log, instead of just deleting it, if he thinks you didn't find the cache is only nice don't you think? It's very annoying when a CO would just delete a log without asking first, since deleting it means the order of the finds will change if you want to correct it later. In this case I think there is just a misunderstanding. Because he had many logs from people who didn't actually found the cache he made a standard mail to explain this cache to these "finders". Because of your note he probably thought you didn't find it and so he sent you this mail.

But from reading the logs there might also be another situation causing some confusion. Since you mention in your log that you used a tool you found in the grass to get the cache the CO might think you didn't find the cache since according to him you need a ladder. But a few logs before yours indicates someone has moved the cache, so the container might have been on another spot than it was supposed to be, another spot not according to the 3,5 star terrain.

So in this case I would advice you to just email the CO that you found it, just like you said in your log, give him also some more information on how and where you found it and then ask why he thinks you should remove the found log. It all might just be a matter of misunderstanding, which can be solved with a simple kind e-mail!

So in this case I would advice you to just email the CO that you found it, just like you said in your log, give him also some more information on how and where you found it and then ask why he thinks you should remove the found log. It all might just be a matter of misunderstanding, which can be solved with a simple kind e-mail!

That is what I would do too.

I had a log deleted by a CO with no explanation. I mailed him/her, they weren't very clear, but accused us to breaking their cache to find it (which we didn't). I expect the cache wasn't where it was supposed to be when we found it, and they blamed us for that. In my case there was no email warning, just a delete, and the CO refused to believe me. So I appealed to Groundspeak who reinstated the log.

I wouldn't get into a long protracted discussion though. If one polite mail doesn't sort it, leave it. If your log gets deleted, appeal.

On difficult or tricky caches I take a picture of the cache in its hide and store it with a screen shot of the cache page. I don't upload it, I just keep it in case I need to remember he what and where of it.

I think it's a good practice and might help resolve the "you didn't find it" questions if they ever come up.

Picture my smiling mug next to the cache...

Here is a twist.

Who has the burden of proof? The finder must prove he/she/they did sign, or the CO who must prove it wasn't signed?

I would be slow to delete any find on any of our geocaches. What difference does it really make? Who is hurt by someone who lies about finding a geocache?

The reviewers surely have better things to do than settle some silly dispute over if a geocache was found, the log was signed, the container was closed, it was placed back EXACTLY as the CO wanted, etc.etc. etc.

On difficult or tricky caches I take a picture of the cache in its hide and store it with a screen shot of the cache page. I don't upload it, I just keep it in case I need to remember he what and where of it.

I think it's a good practice and might help resolve the "you didn't find it" questions if they ever come up.

I always take a photo of the log as well, and normally upload non-spoiler images with my finds. :)

Who has the burden of proof? The finder must prove he/she/they did sign, or the CO who must prove it wasn't signed?

Tricky question. If it is obvious the finder did not find the cache, then it's up to the finder. "I didn't find it, but I was there, so I'm logging it."

I would be slow to delete any find on any of our geocaches. What difference does it really make? Who is hurt by someone who lies about finding a geocache?

It hurts the integrity of the game. I delete finds that are obvious lies. Such as the drive by who logged two of my caches one day. Two miles apart, but close to two hours driving. The cacher had not signed either log. It is especially important on my webcam cache. Proof of the find is the attached photo taken by the webcam. That is the requirement. I notice that you logged a 'webcam photo taken' on an inoperative webcam. That hurts the cachers who love webcams, since it might be archived for allowing fake finds.

The reviewers surely have better things to do than settle some silly dispute over if a geocache was found, the log was signed, the container was closed, it was placed back EXACTLY as the CO wanted, etc.etc. etc.

The reviewers are not involved with disputes over finds/DNFs. The HQ lackeys handle that. Such disputes are only silly in the minds of those who log erroneous finds. Some of us believe in integrity.

What difference does it really make? Who is hurt by someone who lies about finding a geocache?
...logged a 'webcam photo taken' on an inoperative webcam. That hurts the cachers who love webcams, since it might be archived for allowing fake finds.

Yeah, I agree.

We see this often enough in other threads (folks griping of archived webcams and virtuals), to later find they may have been a contributing factor.

I always take a photo of the log as well, and normally upload non-spoiler images with my finds. :)

You and lagrac. ROTFLOL.

Like everyone else has mentioned, this IS a tricky question. I never audit my caches unless there's a good reason to do so. And then I don't always care unless it's a high star or high favorited cache that was being cheated. I ALWAYS delete a Found It log from those that admit they didn't sign the log (without a legit reason), even on the easiest of caches. If you're dumb enough to admit it publicly, then you're going to force me to follow the cache owner guidelines of maintaining accurate logs.