Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Khoda

Garmin Oregon 700 bug

I recently purchased a Garmin Oregon 700 and frequently use the Live Geocaching feature to download caches. When I download a puzzle with corrected coordinates (on the cache page), the cache is downloaded with posted coordinates.

This is a bug that needs immediate attention.

ver 3.3

original was 3.0 and recently updated from 3.2 and then 3.3

None of the updates address this issue. Most likely comes through the API with posted coordinates.

Thank you. Posted as BUG 15 at GPSrChive.com

Make sure you send it to Garmin also, information on how to do so on the Common Issues page at GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0

I sent an email to Garmin support and received this reply.

This is working as designed. If you would like to see this changed, I would recommend contacting geocaching.com to see if they can change the way their data is transferred to our devices.

I find myself in the tech support circle.

Where can I post this issue in the geocaching forum and the Lackey will notice.

• Upvote 1

At least you got a reply...

Will have to look into this more before I draw any conclusions 8^)

I wish it would get fixed too.

Is an option to run your phone as a hotspot and connect the GPS to your phone via wifi, allowing it to work until the root problem is addressed?

On 7/26/2017 at 3:53 PM, Team DEMP said:

Is an option to run your phone as a hotspot and connect the GPS to your phone via wifi, allowing it to work until the root problem is addressed?

Are you stating that phone WIFI hotspot is a workaround or that it might work?

1 hour ago, Khoda said:
On 7/26/2017 at 4:53 PM, Team DEMP said:

Are you stating that phone WIFI hotspot is a workaround or that it might work?

I suspect it should work. That removes the phone app from the solution. I will try and test later this evening to confirm. You should be able to test as well. 

1 hour ago, Team DEMP said:

I suspect it should work. That removes the phone app from the solution. I will try and test later this evening to confirm. You should be able to test as well. 

The Garmin Oregon 700, as I understand it,doesn't use the phone app. Maybe I should have first asked what app are you referring to.

Just checked it out using my home wireless network. No phone or phone app involved. It still loads the posted coordinates vs the corrected coordinates.

Edited by Khoda

31 minutes ago, Khoda said:

The Garmin Oregon 700, as I understand it,doesn't use the phone app. Maybe I should have first asked what app are you referring to.

Just checked it out using my home wireless network. No phone or phone app involved. It still loads the posted coordinates vs the corrected coordinates.

The garmin 700 uses the phone app if you aren't on wifi. If you are outside, you have the Garmin Connect app on your phone and connect the Oregon 7x0 to your phone via bluetooth. That is the functionality that isn't working. 

At home on wifi it connects to your wifi access point for any "live" functions such as loading caches, accessing bookmarks, etc. 

Anyway, i turned bluetooth off on my phone and enabled my phone to be a hotspot. I connected the Oregon 700 to my phone's wifi and I was able to load a cache and see the bookmark lists on geocaching.com so I suspect until bluetooth is fixed, if you had to, you could connect your Oregon 7x0 to your phone acting as a hotspot and it would be like you were "at home".

Anyone else want to confirm?

Anyone else hear anything from Garmin or Groundspeak on this issue?

It's a Groundspeak issue, the problem is that when importing the geocaches on your device with the live functionality, Groundspeak does not send the corrected coords. Simple as that. Probably will take a few years to fix concidering the time it took to get this into their own official app.. 

To be honest I expected more because of the 'send to garmin' function. But as it stands the live option on the garmin is only usable for traditionals.

As of 1/9/2018, the data sent to Garmin devices through the Live Geocaching feature should list geocaches at their corrected coordinates if the user has set them.

30 minutes ago, hleeful said:

As of 1/9/2018, the data sent to Garmin devices through the Live Geocaching feature should list geocaches at their corrected coordinates if the user has set them.

Is this change targeting only Garmin devices, or does this change also affect any other API users?

22 hours ago, hleeful said:

Yep, works. Just downloaded a mystery via bluetooth, cache is listed at its corrected coordinates.

Does not work for me (new Oregon 700, firmware 4.0). I get original coordinates so I must load .gpx file manually like on my old eTrex 30 :(.

We are now more than a year later. Is this problem now resolved?

I actually just got my unit yesterday and I am having problems with geocaching live also.  I can not get it to give me a activation code now.  The one time it did register, it said I was a basic member and would not let me do anything.  I upgraded the firmware on the GPS and now I can not even get a activation code.  I have deleted everything off of geocaching.com also, and tried to start over.  Still I am not having any luck.  Please tell me I am not the only one

I purchased a Garmin Oregon 700 last week. It runs with FW version 4.0. It looks as if the issue with Geocaching live with corrected coordinates for mysteries is still open. I tried to directly download a mystery cache with updated coordinates while connected to my WLAN at home. The downloaded cache information still holds the orginal, unmodified virtual cache coordinates. :-(

However, with a defined pocket query I can download caches once the pocket query is executed. The downloaded Mystery caches seem to have the correct updated coordinates. That worked today at least for two caches. 

Posted (edited)

Update to my reply on August 14: I repeated the test again and did the following:

1. remove all live contents from the Oregon 700

2. remove all manually copied content from Geocache pocket queries from GPX folders

3. enable WLAN and review geocache lists in Active contents on Garmin and sync contentn with device (based on defined pocket queries)

4. Opened description for mystery cache with corrected coordinates 

Result: he coordinates displayed were the orginial ones, i.e. my previous statement was false. Unforutnately Mystery caches with updated coordinates do not get synced correctly to the Oregon 700 device. Sorry for any confusion my comment might have caused.

Edited by Mallorca2009

On 8/19/2018 at 12:34 PM, Mallorca2009 said:

Update to my reply on August 14: I repeated the test again and did the following:

1. remove all live contents from the Oregon 700

2. remove all manually copied content from Geocache pocket queries from GPX folders

3. enable WLAN and review geocache lists in Active contents on Garmin and sync contentn with device (based on defined pocket queries)

4. Opened description for mystery cache with corrected coordinates 

Result: he coordinates displayed were the orginial ones, i.e. my previous statement was false. Unforutnately Mystery caches with updated coordinates do not get synced correctly to the Oregon 700 device. Sorry for any confusion my comment might have caused.

My Oregon 700 with ver 4.0 is properly importing puzzles with corrected coords. I am using bluetooth through my phone. I will try WIFI later.

Tried this again and confirmed something I thought happen last Saturday.

If the cache is already loaded in the GPS, the live update doesn't overwrite the one already stored in the GPS. In fact the cache isn't even reloaded with or without the revised coords. You can tell because the Live Data file isn't created. Check the Filter.

6 hours ago, Khoda said:

Tried this again and confirmed something I thought happen last Saturday.

If the cache is already loaded in the GPS, the live update doesn't overwrite the one already stored in the GPS. In fact the cache isn't even reloaded with or without the revised coords. You can tell because the Live Data file isn't created. Check the Filter.

This is a well known bug that Garmin seems less than interested in addressing.

GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Common Issues > Bugs > Bug 05

Hallo,

kann mir bitte jemand sagen, wie ich die Beiträge auf deutsch lesen kann, nach der Anmeldung war plötzlich wieder alles in englisch. Und zu meiner eigentlichen Frage; ich möchte mein Oregon 700 bei Geocaching. com anmelden, finde aber nicht wo. Erbitte dringend Hilfe. 

Gruß

ossiilch