Non-trademarked alternatives for "muggle"

Jozii

I'm in a curious situation. Or perhaps not so curious, come to think of it.

The term "muggle" is trademarked. As we all know, it belongs to the Harry Potter universe describing someone who isn't a wizard or witch. In geocaching, it refers to someone not aware of geocaching.

For commercial purposes, this word can't be legally used. As far as I know, geocaching.com doesn't officially.

So my question is: is there an actual English term that describes this, or is there a less known alternative that could be used instead, which would still make sense to geocachers?

Thanks for any help :)

As we all know, it belongs to the Harry Potter universe describing someone who isn't a wizard or witch. In geocaching, it refers to someone not aware of geocaching.

No it doesn't it's a Jazz term that has been in use for about 100 years : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muggles_(recording)

See my links above. Warner Bros owns it. I don't know if it has to be situational though, as in "muggles" referring to non-wizards is a no-go but "muggles" referring to non-geocachers is OK. But I doubt they accept the latter either as it's clear where the term is borrowed from.

Either way, I'm looking for alternatives to use :) "Non-geocachers" just doesn't sound as appealing :P

As we all know, it belongs to the Harry Potter universe describing someone who isn't a wizard or witch. In geocaching, it refers to someone not aware of geocaching.

No it doesn't it's a Jazz term that has been in use for about 100 years : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muggles_(recording)

See my links above. Warner Bros owns it.

I'd like to see them persue it, pre-existing art & all that.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to see them persue it, pre-existing art & all that.

You can say that lightly because you're not the one who would potentially be sued. Being a spectator to a lawsuit is one thing (perhaps highly entertaining - look at supermarket tabloids), while being a participant is always stressful and time-consuming, usually expensive and occasionally remunerative.

For commercial purposes, this word can't be legally used. As far as I know, geocaching.com doesn't officially.

The Groundspeak help center uses it in a few different contexts. But I have never done so. I could never find any reason to use a term that might be questionable in the Potter universe. If the term is meant to suggest "foolishness and loveability" perhaps we are the real muggles, but I'll leave that debate for another time and continue to use "non-cacher."

Rowling: "I was looking for a word that suggested both foolishness and loveability. The word 'mug' came to mind, for somebody gullible, and then I softened it. I think 'muggle' sounds quite cuddly. I didn't know that the word 'muggle' had been used as drug slang at that point... ah well."

In Brazil, they use the same portuguese word they used for HP... "trouxa". It translates more or less into "cully". :)

My Portuguese is weak ;) , and I never heard "cully." One source explains why: "British archaic informal."

Well, at least the OP has us thinking.... ;)

I was hopeful that all the iPhone auto-correct loggers would popularize the usage of "Muffle"

When I log incidences needing the-term-that-will-not-be-used I refer to them as civilians. When I am with my daughter who is a LOST fan, I like to use Others or sometimes Hostiles.

I'm a keen bridge player and there is a term used to describe one suit which can interfere with other suits and has an overriding additional value. I was going to suggest that term as a possible alternative, but realised that it might not be appropriate given the current political situation. I still think it would be good, though.

I'm a keen bridge player and there is a term used to describe one suit which can interfere with other suits and has an overriding additional value. I was going to suggest that term as a possible alternative, but realised that it might not be appropriate given the current political situation. I still think it would be good, though.

Wow. :blink: Current political situation? <_< Sorry, but I'm a Trump supporter and he is our elected president, not a situation. :o

Wow. :blink: Current political situation? <_< Sorry, but I'm a Trump supporter and he is our elected president, not a situation. :o

Hmm, just sounds like a pot- shot to me. It doesn't even make any sense (again, to me). Most of the time I call people who don't cache--- people. Or folks, a crowd, etc.

Hmm, just sounds like a pot- shot to me. It doesn't even make any sense (again, to me). Most of the time I call people who don't cache--- people. Or folks, a crowd, etc.

Agreed. I don't discuss geocaching with people that are not geocachers. But calling the general public Muggles is not something I do either. :D

I was not intending to call your President a situation. I was referring to the fact that his name was the same as the name for the controlling suit in a card game.

Two years ago, when Mr. Obama was your president, a suggestion to use the phrase "My cache has been trumped" could have been discussed on its merits with no political overtones. Just considering the analogy with "My Ace was trumped". Today, when your President is Mr. Trump, I thought that some people may find the the phrase to be inappropriate - even though it has exactly the same meaning. Obviously, I was right. I withdraw the suggestion.

• Funny 1
  • Love 1

I was not intending to call your President a situation. I was referring to the fact that his name was the same as the name for the controlling suit in a card game.

Two years ago, when Mr. Obama was your president, a suggestion to use the phrase "My cache has been trumped" could have been discussed on its merits with no political overtones. Just considering the analogy with "My Ace was trumped". Today, when your President is Mr. Trump, I thought that some people may find the the phrase to be inappropriate - even though it has exactly the same meaning. Obviously, I was right. I withdraw the suggestion.

Sorry, but using the term "Trump" to describe a non-geocacher makes no sense to me. Sounds like you are back stepping now, and it actually was a cheap shot at Trump. B)

We've called non-cachers muggles since we started.

We'll continue to call those outside this hobby muggles, and don't feel one bit that it puts us in any "curious situation".

If there was any issue, don't you think someone should've heard of it by now?

If we ever happen to receive a cease and desist letter, then we'll think about it. :)

I have seen many cachers add the prefix "geo" to describe something or someone who is familiar with geocaching, or used for Geocaching. For example; geo-dog refers to a dog who goes geocaching with it's human geocacher companion. A geo-car is a vehicle used by a geocacher to get to a location where they will be geocaching. One can have a geo-spouse, or geo-kids.

The word "ignorant" is described in the dictionary as 1. lacking knowledge or training, unlearned. 2. Lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject (in this case geocaching)

So, put it together "geognorant"

Maybe that sounds too clunky and difficult to say.

See my links above. Warner Bros owns it. I don't know if it has to be situational though, as in "muggles" referring to non-wizards is a no-go but "muggles" referring to non-geocachers is OK. But I doubt they accept the latter either as it's clear where the term is borrowed from.

Either way, I'm looking for alternatives to use :) "Non-geocachers" just doesn't sound as appealing :P

Working on the Harry Potter theme the American version is a "Nomag" (As in no magic and pronounced similarl, does WB own that?). Corrupt "Nomag" to "Nocache". Nah, I'll stick with "Muggle".

Sorry, but using the term "Trump" to describe a non-geocacher makes no sense to me. Sounds like you are back stepping now, and it actually was a cheap shot at Trump. B)

Oh, to trump means something different as well in British English. It certainly wouldn't be appropriate to write "I was just trumped here" in that respect, although it's possibly a case of nominative determinism I suppose.

I'm in a curious situation. Or perhaps not so curious, come to think of it.

The term "muggle" is trademarked. As we all know, it belongs to the Harry Potter universe describing someone who isn't a wizard or witch. In geocaching, it refers to someone not aware of geocaching.

So my question is: is there an actual English term that describes this, or is there a less known alternative that could be used instead, which would still make sense to geocachers?

Thanks for any help :)

Trademark law would not affect an ordinary geocacher's use of the term. As far as I know, no one gets paid for forum posts, and though the term "professional geocacher" has surfaced from time to time in the forums, I haven't heard of anyone who finds geocaches for profit. So, trademark isn't an issue, it's just a different spin on a topic that comes up from time to time. If you do a forum search, you should be able to find a number of older threads.

If you have a commercial purpose in mind for finding an alternate term, then go hire a lawyer and a market researcher. If you don't, muggle should be fine.

My wife and I don't even bother using the term -- we just do a little tongue click to get the other's attention when someone else wanders into view.

• Upvote 1

Warner Bros DOES NOT "own it" - read the whole link, the trademark covers "Printed matter and paper goods, namely, decals, posters", a very limited "qwnership". So the verbal use of the term is not a TM.

Warner Bros DOES NOT "own it" - read the whole link, the trademark covers "Printed matter and paper goods, namely, decals, posters", a very limited "qwnership". So the verbal use of the term is not a TM.

^This

If you also read the Reddit link, the OP was asking about using the term in a written book, which would clearly fall under the following goods covered by the trademark:

Paper, cardboard and goods made from these materials, not included in other classes; printed matter; bookbinding material; photographs; stationery; adhesives for stationery or household purposes; artists' materials; paint brushes; typewriters and office requisites (except furniture); instructional and teaching material (except apparatus); plastic materials for packaging (not included in other classes); playing cards; printers' type; printing blocks. - Paper, cardboard and goods made from these materials, not included in other classes; printed matter; bookbinding material; photographs; stationery; adhesives for stationery or household purposes; artists' materials; paint brushes; typewriters and office requisites (except furniture); instructional and teaching material (except apparatus); plastic materials for packaging (not included in other classes); playing cards; printers' type; printing blocks.

There's nothing wrong with us using the term here in the forums, in cache logs, or in verbal discussion.

Muggle, muggle, muggle, muggle, muggle, muggle, muggle, muggle, muggle, muggle. I'll let you know if I get 10 lawsuits from a movie company. :laughing:

In my part of the world trump is a euphemism for flatulence.

I hear the Trump tweets a lot. I'm thinking it is the same. :laughing: I have never been comfortable with the word "Muggles" though. :)

"Non-geocachers" just doesn't sound as appealing :P

That is the term I use. Muggles just don't sound right to me, but I'm not a Harry Potter fan either. :D

Same here. Non cacher is a bit clunky, but I can't think what else is better.

I sorta like unwashed heathens

To each his own, but what do you want to call them?

Wow. :blink: Current political situation? dry.gif Sorry, but I'm a Trump supporter and he is our elected president, not a situation. :o

I hear the Trump tweets a lot.

Ya think?

donald-trump-smirk.jpg

I don't mind using the term "muggle" but only to someone that I know understands what it means in the context of geocaching.

Hoe about "geo-aware" for non-cachers who know what caching is and "geo-unaware" for those that don't? Not as catchy as muggle I admit.

Could call them "bogeys" (rhymes with hoagies). This is military slang for aircraft not yet determined to be friend or foe. Seems appropriate, especially since those who steal caches ate called "bandits" (term also used for enemy aircraft).

For pretty much everyone else it is a situation, and one they don't want to be in.

I'm looking for alternatives to use :) "Non-geocachers" just doesn't sound as appealing :P

There are a lot of threads asking about other terms. That's plenty of reading, but you still may not find a definitive list.

Are you trying to make T-shirts or stickers or something, and the printer (especially Cafepress!) refuses to allow what they've decided is "copyrighted material"? If so, change the phrase. One option is to use the term "people", as in "I tried to hunt that Geocache, but there were too may people!"

Edited by kunarion

I would call them "Pedestrians"

Some of my caches are near parking spots where um... "Pedestrians"?... pull up and idle for a while, facing the search area. Truckers, cops, someone at lunch. Rather than trying to cover the ways one mught encounter a non-cacher there, I just mention that "non-cachers" frequent the spot. I avoid the term "muggle" in my cache listings, since that tends to require more explanation, such as "No, not 'mugger'. I said 'muggle'. You know, non-cachers". So I might say "non-cachers" in the first place. OK, sure, I don't know that they're all not "Geocachers".

But I'd bet the OP doesn't use word "pedestrian" to mean non-cachers, on the T-Shirt quote. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

Hoe about "geo-aware" for non-cachers who know what caching is and "geo-unaware" for those that don't? Not as catchy as muggle I admit.

Could call them "bogeys" (rhymes with hoagies). This is military slang for aircraft not yet determined to be friend or foe. Seems appropriate, especially since those who steal caches ate called "bandits" (term also used for enemy aircraft).

For pretty much everyone else it is a situation, and one they don't want to be in.

Geoaware are what the EarthCache reviewers are know as. B) As for a situation, we vote on who is elected, so the majority has spoken. :D

I'm looking for alternatives to use :) "Non-geocachers" just doesn't sound as appealing :P

There are a lot of threads asking about other terms. That's plenty of reading, but you still may not find a definitive list.

Are you trying to make T-shirts or stickers or something, and the printer (especially Cafepress!) refuses to allow what they've decided is "copyrighted material"? If so, change the phrase. One option is to use the term "people", as in "I tried to hunt that Geocache, but there were too may people!"

It's a card game. Though Warner Bros don't "own" the term as such, they do have the rights in print. I was going to use "Muggle-cards" and "Muggle-tokens".

• Funny 1

It's a card game. Though Warner Bros don't "own" the term as such, they do have the rights in print. I was going to use "Muggle-cards" and "Muggle-tokens".

Ah, so we come up with a new term for "non cachers", get it into common use, you create a card game using it, then trademark the term to protect your intellectual property, and we're back to square one :blink:

Ah, so we come up with a new term for "non cachers", get it into common use, you create a card game using it, then trademark the term to protect your intellectual property, and we're back to square one :blink:

Hahahaha, well that's not what I was thinking, but I guess if the game became super successful and I turned greedy, sure :P

Though worth noting it's not JK Rowling, the author of Harry Potter, who has trademarked the term.

• Funny 1