Next stage in Garmin Oregon 450 not working

When doing a multicache I use ’enter next stage’ to go to the next waypoint.

Normally after entering the coordinates for the next waypoint, the map is shown with a pink line showing the track how to get there.

But recently it is not working anymore.

The map is shown,with the blue arrow, but no track to the next stage.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong here?

Maybe some setting?

Thanks in advance

Hi!

Sorry if this is not the correct place to post my question, but here it is:

We went for a short 5 day vacation and before that we did a gpx from gsak and export it to our garmin oregon 450.

Today, when caching we noticed thas using next stage option, had a strange behaviour. When introducing the final coordinate to a cache, the handheld showed the original cache coordinate and not the final. This happened to us for the first time in 7 years. Until today, next stage option always worked fine.

Anyone else have this behavior? Coincidence or not, we used for the first time the new geocaching api on gsak to update our database, using PQ's. I did not change any settings on gsak, or macro.

Hope to ear from you guys.

Paulo

7 hours ago, Bodi&Bifes said:

Hi!

My Garmin runs FW 5.20. For me, the best and stable version.

Running 6.60 on my 450, was unable to duplicate your behavior.

Man, that unit is s ... l ... o... w ... - How did I ever get along with it? The new Oregons and GPSMAPs are so much better....

Check GPSrChive > Oregon x50 > Versions x50 to see how much development occurred between your v5.20 and the final 6.60 firmware. More than even I realized until I looked!

Edited by Atlas Cached

Not a solution but I've never used "next stage". I always make a new WP during a multi. That way I will have all WP ready to download (together with tracks) when I get home. It also makes it easy when "bookkeeping" after a cachingday when I enter all found info in GSAK.

If a cache has additional WPs (N0 0.000 E0 0.000) with questions on the listing they will be in the POI database on my GPS, I can easily make them a WP and enter the found/calculated coordinates.

For the final I select the cache again and make that a WP and edit the coordinates.

Downside is I have to switch between the cache "geocaching" page and normal map/wp when I need more info along the way but that is not often the case.

Downside of using "next stage" is not having a record of the WPs unless writing them down.

Using an Oregon600 (before it was a Colorado 300).

• Helpful 1
12 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Downside of using "next stage" is not having a record of the WPs unless writing them down.

If you're using "Next Stage ..." first - you may save the WP afterwards:

1. search for geocaches

2. select cache "Next Stage"

3. open the cache and save the cache as a waypoint. Done

5 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Running 6.60 on my 450, was unable to duplicate your behavior.

Man, that unit is s ... l ... o... w ... - How did I ever get along with it? The new Oregons and GPSMAPs are so much better....

Check GPSrChive > Oregon x50 > Versions x50 to see how much development occurred between your v5.20 and the final 6.60 firmware. More than even I realized until I looked!

I'm aware that there are several fw updates from garmin(i'm an update freak), since 5.20. I have tried 6.60, but i noticed strange behavior on compass bearings, such as low response at pointing to the cache location. Revert to 5.20. I know that there are new models, but they are to expensive for me and garmin is best known for lunching new models with lots of bugs. For ex with oregon 700, it's been for months since a new fw update. Looks like garmin quit developing the unit....

I will try when i get home to make new gpx and try to duplicate the problem

Thx!

Edited by Bodi&Bifes
24 minutes ago, icezebra11 said:

(Say this in your best Larry the Cable Guy accent)  I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!  

Thumbs up for your "usefull" post... I don't know you either, so good for me and good for you. Let's stay that way. if you btw went to Portugal on holiday i will show you my portuguese accent.

4 hours ago, icezebra11 said:

Not knocking you.  The funny part was lunching on bugs, not the too expensive part.  An innocent typo on your part made it humorous.

Edited my first post to take the first part of the quote out.

Yes, i can see that now ? associate lunch with bugs... My native language is portuguese not english.  "Launching" instead lunching... 

Unfortunatly Garmin have no competition in the gps handhelds and i don't see them too much worried on improving their equipments. In Portugal an Oregon 700 costs 360 euro. Too expensive for a gps that have a lot to improve. Last fw update was on Feb/2018... Regarding Geocaching i don't see Garmin too much concerned on fixing the problems that are reported by the community.