Why won't GS allow VPNs to be used?

Doctor A

I did a search about this, but don't see any recent discussion about it. I only recently started using a VPN and became aware of it, although I'd heard it mentioned by a family member before. I'm not super tech savvy, but I saw one discussion where people pointed out that since you have to be logged in to do anything like post a log, then even if I'm using a VPN, GS can tell whose account it came from. So I'm wondering if since those posts I found, which mainly seemed to be from about a year ago, if GS has reconsidered this? As others expressed in older posts, it is highly annoying and seems a bit over the top to me, especially compared to the lack of problems I've had using a VPN on other websites.

I'm not super tech savvy either... :)

Isn't a VPN meant to provide privacy online?

You have cache finds (showing areas you frequent), pics, and a third-party site for stats added to your profile.

Curious, in this instance, what privacy is provided?

IIRC, if using a phone app, you aren't actually on the site, "logged in" or not - the reason some have "never" as their last visit on their profile.

Maybe that's the issue ?

Thanks. :)

Do you have an example of these "other websites"? My understanding of VPN must be different than yours. I know people that use it for a secure connection with work computers to connect with servers with private or sensitive data, so my sense is that VPN is the "over the top" issue here.

Do you have an example of these "other websites"? My understanding of VPN must be different than yours. I know people that use it for a secure connection with work computers to connect with servers with private or sensitive data, so my sense is that VPN is the "over the top" issue here.

I guess what I meant by that is that why can I shop on websites like amazon or even do online banking and those websites are ok with me using a VPN? Again, I'm not super tech savvy, but I'd think that a website where large monetary transactions are going on would have more reason to be concerned about someone using a VPN, so would be more likely to block that use.

I'm not super concerned about what the gc site shows and knows, because I know people could figure out a lot about me by seeing caches I log, where my caches are hidden, reading comments I make, looking at photos I post, etc. But for me the hassle is that I do want the VPN on when I do stuff that I feel like is more in need of protection, like banking or stock trades, or even web searches that I don't want to share with my ISP or others. I also want the VPN for online health care work that I do, since I may be accessing protected patient information- even though some of the companies don't require it, I feel like it's an important protection and so I've set it up. Since I end up having to turn it off to log caches, I know there have been times that I've forgotten to turn it back on, so then am not protected in whatever I go and do next. So for me the issue isn't so much feeling like I have to have the VPN on when I'm logging caches, but just the risk when I have to turn it off and simply wanting to understand the reasoning behind GS prohibiting it when it doesn't seem to be the typical approach to VPNs that I see on other websites.

Interesting. I'm not sure why GS would bother blocking it, but doing a bit of searching, I did learn that my bank does not support or allow it. Their reasoning was that it limits the ability to track IP's, which they use as a way to track fraud and abuse. Maybe Groundspeak has similar concerns, although my data on Groundspeak servers doesn't quite rise to the same level of concern as my financial or healthcare information for me.

Interesting. I'm not sure why GS would bother blocking it, but doing a bit of searching, I did learn that my bank does not support or allow it. Their reasoning was that it limits the ability to track IP's, which they use as a way to track fraud and abuse. Maybe Groundspeak has similar concerns, although my data on Groundspeak servers doesn't quite rise to the same level of concern as my financial or healthcare information for me.

Yeah, that's the part I don't understand. I can understand a bank limiting it, and of the three banks I use online, one doesn't allow it so I do have to turn it off to do anything on that website. And a second bank (one that allows it) contacted me recently when I tried to make a large transfer- they said their system was alerted because of the large amount and because the IP address didn't match where I lived. So I was glad in that case- both to see that the VPN was working, but also to see that the bank had reasonable concern and did take steps to make sure it wasn't something fraudulent or that I didn't initiate. But I can't see why GS would care where I'm located when I log caches or care if I am trying to hide where I am for some reason. So I'm just one who tends to question things- so GS may have a good reason, I'd just like to know what the logic is, since it seems discrepant from other websites (at least superficially to me...).

I guess what I meant by that is that why can I shop on websites like amazon or even do online banking and those websites are ok with me using a VPN?

When you are shopping at Amazon or paying bills at your online banking site, are you able to take actions that negatively impact other Amazon customers or bank customers? Here at Geocaching.com, you can.

That's how I use a VPN. Many of the servers that I connect to are on restricted networks. Basically, you can only access the server if you're IP address is from a specific list of IP address ranges. The university has a VPN which requires a login credentials that can be used to access machines while outside the the campus (e.g. while traveling as I am doing now). The VPN makes it appear that my laptop is on an internal network. That way I can demo sites I'm working on while I'm in Washington DC as I will be doing later today.

That's how I use a VPN. Many of the servers that I connect to are on restricted networks. Basically, you can only access the server if you're IP address is from a specific list of IP address ranges. The university has a VPN which requires a login credentials that can be used to access machines while outside the the campus (e.g. while traveling as I am doing now). The VPN makes it appear that my laptop is on an internal network. That way I can demo sites I'm working on while I'm in Washington DC as I will be doing later today.

That's how most VPNs are used and the OP seems to be using it to connect to a health care network, but they're also using it for the purpose of obfuscation for personal activities. I don't know if they're using the same VPN for both or if they're separate ones, but we certainly wouldn't want our staff using our work VPN for personal obfuscation purposes.