Android, Firefox or GS: map on tablet

terratin

Is the following an issue with Android devices, Firefox or how GS implemented the geocaching map?

I logged into the website with my tablet today and found that I could not navigate on the map as I was constantly reminded to use two fingers. With two though I could only zoom in and out, and still not more the map sideways as I continued to get the message to use two fingers. Apparently I'm only allowed to look at my homezone on the tablet. Or zoom out and miss the detail. :huh:

You're using Google maps as your selection in the Groundspeak caching map. Google changed something in their map code when their maps are embedded in another app or web page, though oddly enough, I don't see it happening directly on maps.google.com.

If you change your map selection to "Leaflet" (a misnomer, it really means "all non-Google maps"), the problem goes away. Those are better maps anyway, IMHO. And Leaflet, BTW, is open-source code that does the same slippy-map tile handling as the Google code, but without the funny two-finger thing.

And hey Groundspeak, I just noticed something... On my Android tablet with Firefox, when I go into Set Map Preferences to select Leaflet, that option isn't even visible. It's hiding down below the Google option, and I have to tap and scroll the panel to even see Leaflet. I've never seen that before (but then I rarely select Google or therefore have to switch back), and on my PC it works properly. (But have I mentioned that the list of pros and cons is seriously out of date? Most of the Google advantages exist on the other side too.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

You're using Google maps as your selection in the Groundspeak caching map. Google changed something in their map code when their maps are embedded in another app or web page, though oddly enough, I don't see it happening directly on maps.google.com.

If you change your map selection to "Leaflet" (a misnomer, it really means "all non-Google maps"), the problem goes away. Those are better maps anyway, IMHO. And Leaflet, BTW, is open-source code that does the same slippy-map tile handling as the Google code, but without the funny two-finger thing.

Thanks a lot. I didn't know that. I usually prefer google maps because a) satellite images and B) the colour scheme is more pleasant to my eyes. But there won't be many occasions where I will use the tablet anyway. Thus this is good to know.

Edited by terratin

Nope did not work for me either , not sure why people keep having to change things for the worst. So what I found... using firefox... not that it matters , there are two map modes. "Search Geocaches" which works fast no animation. And "Browse geocaches" which animates my profile gif icon, yes you can use jpg's, jpegs, pngs, I chose an animated unicycle. Actually it might be versa visa as you click it it toggles forth n back.  "Browse" mode as it displays "Browse geocaches" is technically to me "Search mode" as you press it it will toggle back" when the white box says "Browse ..." it does allow me to move the screen with my finger, but does not updated the map as you scroll it.

I will update this note with a video later !

scroll

Edited by K-and-K
added video after it finally uploaded

Not sure if I am replying to the same issue.

- been using firefox for eons, never any issues, using the same tablet.

- Then geocaching goes and changes their maps to two different formats, in the right hand corner if white box states "search geocaches" which is the preferred method where every cache appears visible you can't use your finger on the screen, the pen works to move the map around and so does my mouse.  But that's not why I bought the Surface Pro tablets.

thanks for taking something once again that worked perfectly fine and buggering it up.

- if the white box during the mapping function states "browse geocaches" you finger can scroll the map just fine but you are required to manually update the map to populate the map with caches, meaning caches often get missed because the screen is not updated. again great job guys.

Edited by K-and-K