Release Notes (website only, DNFs on map) - June 9, 2017

Release Notes (website only) - June 9, 2017

With this release you can now view caches you DNF (Did Not Find) on the Geocaching map. The DNF icon makes it easy to identify on the map on Geocaching.com.

d8a5b3ee-50c0-4492-9da7-9db563bff556.jpg

Sean B and Jason K from HQ’s Web Team are watching the thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

Wow, I wasn't expecting a feature like this to be rolled out until the next iteration of the map. It works well and I like the addition of the filter in the sidebar. This is something that a lot of people have been wanting for a long time, so good job!

Edit to add: Now you need to go out and avenge that DNF in Everett!

Edited by The A-Team

Release Notes (website only) - June 9, 2017

With this release you can now view caches you DNF (Did Not Find) on the Geocaching map. The DNF icon makes it easy to identify on the map on Geocaching.com.

d8a5b3ee-50c0-4492-9da7-9db563bff556.jpg

Sean B. from HQ’s Web Team is watching the thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

Guess what I just wanted to do... Telling you about a new error on the map. Dislike that feature as I way more care about the TYPE of the cache and not that I once didn't find it :(

Please revert back to normal!

My solution until then will be NOT logging DNFs any more and also changing old DNFs to notes... Just tried: Changing back to notes helps! Ok, no DNFs as long as this feature is gone, sorry that for!

Edited by monsterbox

Is there a way to only see my DNFs on the map? If I want to go through and avenge all my DNFs, I don't see a way of showing only these, without showing all the other caches of that time I haven't searched for.

I love this new feature and being able to display JUST DNF's would be the icing on the cake.

Is there a way to only see my DNFs on the map? If I want to go through and avenge all my DNFs, I don't see a way of showing only these, without showing all the other caches of that time I haven't searched for.

I love this new feature and being able to display JUST DNF's would be the icing on the cake.

I wouldn't mind, but there's no such feature yet. Neither for PQs nor within the new search. But still would prefer seeing the "correct" icon for the cache type. This feature would be a real feature if it would show the type with a small DNF symbol "in the corner".

I simply just helped myself now and reverted all the DNFs from the last 2 years back to notes. Now I can see the original icons again :)

Edited by monsterbox

Dislike that feature as I way more care about the TYPE of the cache and not that I once didn't find it :(

monsterbox does bring up a good point. The cache type for finds isn't quite as important because you've already found it, but knowing the cache type of a DNFed cache can be very important. For example, was that DNF a type that isn't actually at the posted coordinates (e.g. puzzle, Multi), or was it just a Traditional? When you're planning a day of caching, the cache type can be very important, so it would be good to be able to see that at a glance. In a number of the previous forum discussions about such a feature, having the DNF icon on the corner of the cache type icon was often mentioned as a solution to this issue.

Edit to add: ...that and/or an option to turn off mapping of DNFs entirely.

Edited by The A-Team

While working with the new version of the map I by accident have found the filter for "My DNFs". Unsure about the actual benefit at the moment. Ok, if I don't want to go for DNF'd caches, but what about showing ONLY DNFs? This might also be helpful if not more than NOT showing DNFs :)

One more finding/flaw: Now the popups for the caches look a bit weird! Showing icon, name and code in the first line (ok!) but all the other info in a single line now:

Created by: sharpcity

Difficulty: 2 out of 5

Cache Size: #

Date Hidden: 04/08/2013

Terrain: 3.5 out of 5

Favorite Points: 28

I guess that happened by accident, correct?

Agree. It's a nice feature but would be good to be able to show just DNFs.

It is good to indicate a DNFed cache on the map. But the cache type is important as well - how about to combine it somehow?

BTW there is a new possibility to hide DNFs on the map. I can't come up with a use case where I would need it. The DNFed cache are still caches for me to find.

I would like to be able to hide all others and leave only the DNFs instead. But that is not currently possible.

It is good to indicate a DNFed cache on the map. But the cache type is important as well - how about to combine it somehow?

BTW there is a new possibility to hide DNFs on the map. I can't come up with a use case where I would need it. The DNFed cache are still caches for me to find.

I would like to be able to hide all others and leave only the DNFs instead. But that is not currently possible.

I think a toggle might make most people happy: show a cache as unfound or as blue smiley. At the moment, if I toggle the DNF off the whole cache is gone even though I've not found it.

the solution for only showing DNFs... the dnf, finds and own caches are in a separate box from the cache types. Maybe separate actions based on that?

Here's another vote for showing the cache type, even if I've DNFed the cache in the past. The cache type icon with a DNF icon in the corner or a blue border to indicate a DNF would be nice. But most of the time, I'd rather have the cache type icon by itself rather than the DNF icon by itself.

My solution until then will be NOT logging DNFs any more and also changing old DNFs to notes...
With the combination of the DNF icons obscuring the cache type icons on the map, and the cache health score counting even a single DNF as a negative mark against the cache, people may start using DNF logs even less than they did before.
My solution until then will be NOT logging DNFs any more and also changing old DNFs to notes...
With the combination of the DNF icons obscuring the cache type icons on the map, and the cache health score counting even a single DNF as a negative mark against the cache, people may start using DNF logs even less than they did before.

This exactly is what I fear, too. And I'm the best proof for it... Converted most of my DNFs without later find to notes already. Just the DNF icon doesn't help me at all :(

This exactly is what I fear, too. And I'm the best proof for it... Converted most of my DNFs without later find to notes already. Just the DNF icon doesn't help me at all :(

I personally don't care for this feature either and will probably delete my DNFs and stop logging them in the future. If there's something important that I want to tell the CO, I'll probably use a note.

I want to see what's out there to find by cache type. Additionally, for some reason seeing a DNF cache on the map gives me the impression that it's a cache that's missing and I shouldn't bother with it. I know that's not how it really works, but that's the natural reaction that I have.

This is a duplicate post from the "Website" forum, where it was suggested I should post it here.

"

I have no objection to having the website map show My DNFs in blue, but would it be possible to use the original icon and convert the background to blue? A frowny blue face means I can't tell what sort of cache it is to quick view.

"

The thing I find annoying about this feature is you don't know the type of cache it is until you click on it. I am one of the cachers who does do dnf posts so I now have a sea of blue faces and I don't know which ones are trads, multis, mysteries etc until I actually click on them. Can there be an button somewhere that disables this feature and reverts it back to what there was before. I knew that there were ones I had dnfed as they were still visible on the map without a smiley face on them which was fine. Now I get a stupid blue face which is miserable looking and there are loads of them.

Please get rid of this feature, or make it possible to disable it or could someone post me a script so I can disable it on my own login.

Rare for us to go back to DNFs, and noticed we don't have that many on the map anyway (now that we're ignoring P&Gs).

- But I agree with others, that it'd be nice to show the cache type somehow too (hover?).

I also like ChileHead's idea of showing only DNFs in the filter (rather than DNF with unfound).

Who knows? Bored sometime, make it a DNF day. :)

I'm another who would find the cache type useful to be able to see. I'm not so bothered about whether its a DNF, I'm more bothered about the cache type particularly because solved puzzles still are shown at the published coordinates on the map not at the solved coordinates so the DNF location means nothing for those.

I again suggest a toggle for the DNF: switch between the frowny smiley or the unfound cache type symbol. I guess this way everyone would be happy: those that want to see the cache types, those that don't want frowny smileys and those that want to see their DNFs on a map.

For me too the cache type is more important than knowing I already posted a DNF for a specific cache. I support the idea to make a kind of combination of the cache type with a sign for DNF. The best way would be, not to use the coloured dots but symbols for the cache types like in earlier times in this combination.

Normaly I have no problems by posting DNFs, but if I'm not able to see the cache types in future, I would change to write notes instead of DNF, like other users already proposed. If too many geocacher do so and stop logging DNF the new health score would no more show when there is a problem with a geocache.

A good start, but the first thing I tried was to display only my DNFs. Can't be done at present. I'd also like to see the cache type, but for DNFs this is now only possible by clicking on the icon. So, two things on your to-do list: add a filter for ONLY DNFs, and add DNF versions of the standard cache icons.

[...]

Normaly I have no problems by posting DNFs, but if I'm not able to see the cache types in future,[...]

Just tap the DNF icon and the pop up will show you the cache type. :-)

Groundspeak' s UI designers are demontrateing once more the nonsense of changing the cache icon (which definitely stands for cache type) for showing the cache status.

The cache status is an additional element and should be treated as such (for example as an additional attribute icon beside the cache icon).

Hier sieht man einen Mystery mit zusätzlichem DNF Attribute- Icon:

CC%20and%20DNF.PNG?raw=1

Why not just use what we still have with the search results?

(IE: A cache icon [TYPE] plus an attribute icon [sTATUS or CCs])

Attribute%20CC.png?raw=1

Hans

Edited by HHL

If I untoggle DNFs, the cache no longer on the map at all. Why? It's still unfound, I still want to see it on the map. I just don't want to see the DNF icon.

This would be a good example of toggling view option 2 below. With DNFs on, I can tell which caches have been DNF'd by me (non-obstructively); and with DNFs off, it means I don't care to tell which are DNF'd, but it is still a map of unfound caches.

Perhaps 2 or 3 viewing options under DNFs:

View Option 1: DNFs off - Basic cache map: icons as cache types, with find smiley options as has been standard for a while. No DNF indicators.

View Option 2: Enable DNF icons - either a little tag that indicates a DNF while not removing the cache type; or altering the colour of the icon but leaving something that can identify the cache type that's with the DNF (preferably the former).

View Option 3: View only DNFs - display only caches that have not been found that have a DNF log, and either DNF displayed as per #2, or just fill the map with the frownies and no indication of cache type on the map (since the view is "DNFs only" implying that's the priority)

----

Hiding the cache type though in favour of a an additive flag is really not so good. It hides relevant information for which the map is most generally used

Thanks for all the comments so far on this feature! We are reading through them right now and determining the next course of action to take. I definitely see the point about putting the original cache type back when the DNF is toggled off and am talking with our engineers right now about the technical feasibility of making this change. I also see the point about how cool showing only DNFs on the map would be, but that one is a little trickier from a UX standpoint. Once we decide, we'll either deploy the updated functionality or get back to you with a reason why we are holding off.

Thanks again for playing with all these new features and providing us with such great feedback, it is definitely helpful!

bootron

Thanks for all the comments so far on this feature! We are reading through them right now and determining the next course of action to take. I definitely see the point about putting the original cache type back when the DNF is toggled off and am talking with our engineers right now about the technical feasibility of making this change. I also see the point about how cool showing only DNFs on the map would be, but that one is a little trickier from a UX standpoint. Once we decide, we'll either deploy the updated functionality or get back to you with a reason why we are holding off.

Thanks again for playing with all these new features and providing us with such great feedback, it is definitely helpful!

bootron

Thanks a lot for the update, bootron.

Awesome, thanks for keeping update

ETA: I think the first priority though should be changing the DNF toggle to not completely remove DNF caches from the map if it's not found :) Still want to see them, just not the 'DNF'. Not sure if that's easier than all the other stuff given your backend, but right now there's no way to see the cache type on the map for caches you've posted a DNF, which is why people are deleting or changing their DNFs to notes.

Edited by thebruce0

So we are a little quicker to fix this than I expected. Jason, the engineer who has been spearheading this project, has already completed the fix that will add the original cache type icon back if the DNF is toggled off. We've deployed it already and it should be available for you right now. As for the isolation of DNFs, we do not have plans to make an immediate add for this feature. There are several options for how to accomplish this, and we might prefer to go through the main search to achieve this, rather than a filter that doesn't match anything we already are providing on the map page. So that's where we stand for now.

If you have any other thoughts, or notice any odd behaviors, please continue to keep us posted.

Thanks,

bootron

So we are a little quicker to fix this than I expected. Jason, the engineer who has been spearheading this project, has already completed the fix that will add the original cache type icon back if the DNF is toggled off. We've deployed it already and it should be available for you right now.
Hmm... I guess I'll have to renew my premium membership before I can see this in action. I don't see that as a filter option right now.

A very minor nit: while the filter is set to show cache type (display DNF OFF), the information hover box displays the cache name twice. This happens in both Firefox and Chrome on win10.

Also, thanks to all the lackeys for all the monitoring and feedback in forums. The detailed release notes and frequent responses to specific issues is very much appreciated.

So we are a little quicker to fix this than I expected. Jason, the engineer who has been spearheading this project, has already completed the fix that will add the original cache type icon back if the DNF is toggled off. We've deployed it already and it should be available for you right now. As for the isolation of DNFs, we do not have plans to make an immediate add for this feature. There are several options for how to accomplish this, and we might prefer to go through the main search to achieve this, rather than a filter that doesn't match anything we already are providing on the map page. So that's where we stand for now.

If you have any other thoughts, or notice any odd behaviors, please continue to keep us posted.

Thanks,

bootron

Cool, works for me. One side effect of the frowny smileys though: I picked up two of the three DNFs here in town over the last two days :rolleyes: Thus I only have one cache left to test this one. Works for me. Brilliant!

Thanks for such a fast fix on that! cool.gif

A very minor nit: while the filter is set to show cache type (display DNF OFF), the information hover box displays the cache name twice. This happens in both Firefox and Chrome on win10.

Ah, good catch. This is definitely a bug that we will fix. Thanks for the heads up.

Also, thanks to all the lackeys for all the monitoring and feedback in forums. The detailed release notes and frequent responses to specific issues is very much appreciated.

This has been fixed, no more double cache name in the tooltip. Thanks for the catch!

So we are a little quicker to fix this than I expected. Jason, the engineer who has been spearheading this project, has already completed the fix that will add the original cache type icon back if the DNF is toggled off.

How do I toggle the DNF off? I'm looking at this map, which shows a blue frowny face for Covered Bridge Cache #3. I don't see anything that lets me change it so that the cache type will show.

Edited by Nylimb

So we are a little quicker to fix this than I expected. Jason, the engineer who has been spearheading this project, has already completed the fix that will add the original cache type icon back if the DNF is toggled off.

How do I toggle the DNF off? I'm looking at this map, which shows a blue frowny face for Covered Bridge Cache #3. I don't see anything that lets me change it so that the cache type will show.

Open the sidebar to the left, if it isn't opened already. (There's a vertical green bar there; click on it.)

Click on the "My DNFs", the 3rd on the list of "filter caches".

Very nice feature. I like it a lot.

Did you guys experiment with making the blue frowny transparent and let the actual icon sit behind it?

The toggle could then either switch the position of these icons (front to back) or toggle the frowny on/off.

Open the sidebar to the left, if it isn't opened already. (There's a vertical green bar there; click on it.)

Click on the "My DNFs", the 3rd on the list of "filter caches".

Thanks! (I'd never noticed that sidebar.)

Thanks,

bootron

That's the problem with the quick solutions... They aren't complete ;)

ok, so here's what happens now: Display a PQ and it still shows just the DNF icon but there's no chance to toggle as the filters don't work in PQ mode.

I would still prefer having that option being completely off as default. I simply don't really care about former DNFs. This should help in this case, too, I guess. And on the normal map one could then just turn on DNF display!

I've just noticed that a disabled DNF is the same colour as water on the map, and as we have a lot of water around here it's very easily overlooked.

DisabledDNF.png

is this in the app? My one DNF on my home map is substantially darker, and also the eyes/mouth are black rather than pale grey.

I've just noticed that a disabled DNF is the same colour as water on the map, and as we have a lot of water around here it's very easily overlooked.

DisabledDNF.png

is this in the app? My one DNF on my home map is substantially darker, and also the eyes/mouth are black rather than pale grey.

No, it's on the website. Note that it's a disabled cache that I'd previously DNFed, which it seems causes it to be shown in pale blue.