How many KFalls caches can you get in a day?

Maps-R-Us

Alright, not too long ago someone was wondering if Missnomer could actually get 25 caches in a day in KFalls. I think everybody finally accepted the feat, amazing as it was.

Now I look and see the number one cacher in Oregon has just pulled off a KFalls weekend and managed to get 46 caches in two days- 32 one day and 14 the next. So how easy are those caches down there and can Oregone and Laurencat do better when they go down?

Maybe I am off, but isnt the cache community down their consist of like 5 people? I've noticed some people with counts of 80 finds and 50 placements.

I think I could beat the record.

When I can put the cash together to get another gps then I will drive down there and create a new cache record.

Anyone can pull off 40 caches in a day down there. If you look at my 32, they were spread from Roseburg/Medford/Ashland/Keno/K Falls which is 150 miles. If you start and end in K Falls you should be able to hit 50. And that's not 50 of Quad's caches. icon_smile.gif Unless you are really good with picking locks and doing jigsaw puzzles in zero time. icon_smile.gif

Anyone can pull off 40 caches in a day down there. If you look at my 32, they were spread from Roseburg/Medford/Ashland/Keno/K Falls which is 150 miles. If you start and end in K Falls you should be able to hit 50. And that's not 50 of Quad's caches. icon_smile.gif Unless you are really good with picking locks and doing jigsaw puzzles in zero time. icon_smile.gif

Well, Gloom just posted on another thread that there were 7.23 caches per square mile around here, which doesn't really surprise me since most of the 'regulars' are really good about keeping life interesting and giving back to the sport.

Hillwilly holds the record, for every 3(found)/ 1 (placed)

Quad has a record of 5/1

Bufford: 7/1

SirRalan: 8/1

missnomer: 10/1

Lone Ranger & Tonto: 11/1

Rooster: 12/1

and a bunch of other people that place them randomly.

All vary, but usually fall in one of the following categories: ultra-easy urban caches, virutals, mega-hill climbing, 'multi-mile multi-points, interesting twists, 'not another film canister!?!', and 'wtf?? this is cruel!!'

So yes, there are a lot of caches in the K-falls area and no, you won't be just tripping over them! Some require brawn and others require brains...go figure!

-missnomer

Entropy in Motion

They are great people over there and of course some are easy and some are near impossible. Just depends on what you want, it's there.

I think someone could grab 35-40 in a day if they planned well. But honestly does that really matter? Wouldn't it be more fun to slow down and just grab 35-40 in 2 or 3 days? There is a lot to see around Klamath.

By the way, I have 101 finds and 31 placements. I don't think you can have too many caches in an area.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

I would have posted sooner but I was out placing another cache. I heard we have more company coming to visit and wanted to be ready. With proper guideance and planning the record can be broken...for a price of course. Oh, Quad and I are talking Pdx raid....hmmmm, any guides for hire?

quote:
Originally posted by Bufford:

Oh, Quad and I are talking Pdx raid....hmmmm, any guides for hire?

All the tips and tricks to portland caches can be learned on Wednesday nights. And all it costs you is a round!

I'm sure any of the Wednesday gang would be more than happy to help you out, me included.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

At least that is what the overwhelming opinion is so far. What do you think Oregone? And when are you going down? Awhile back you were talking about a welcome to Portland/Oregon kind of cache for the Seattle folks - did anything ever come of that? For a price we could have the best route and hints and tips to PDX caches inside of the welcome cache. I think you were going to hide it behind the Barley Mill bar?

Of course if you put off the trip to KFalls longer and Bufford places a new cache everyday in expectation, it will get easier to break the record!

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

You guys better not go for a raid without me. We can caravan up there. Most of the mud has fallen off of the GeoBeast since our little Klamath visit already. It's ready to go!!

Having done the Hillsboro/Portland cache-thing, I only have one thing to say:

If you're going up there to log the MOST caches, don't ask which ones are the coolest. We did only the "coolest", most recommended caches and some of those (like Raiders of the Lost Cache) take hours. Not suitable for a mega-cache excursion.

I'm ready to go again. Unfortunately, Steak's work schedule just won't allow it. I'd sure like him to get a job with a regular two days off together... sheesh.

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

All right guys, I think it's time to lay off the oregone-worshipping-mob-hysteria. It IS better to spread 20-40 caches over a couple of days so that you can avoid things like heat exhaustion (it gets HOT in K Falls) and/or possibly getting hurt (aren't the cougars hungry in K Falls?). Trying to find some unheard amount of caches in a day is just like having some unheard of total cache find amount. Both are there just for tracking AND both can be changed significantly with locationless caches. For oregone and laurencat, you guys make sure you hit the fun caches in K Falls too that take a little time to figure out. BTW, the record is 36 caches in a day which works out to 2.4 caches per hour of sunlight.

quote:
Originally posted by Maps-R-Us:

Awhile back you were talking about a welcome to Portland/Oregon kind of cache for the Seattle folks - did anything ever come of that? For a price we could have the best route and hints and tips to PDX caches inside of the welcome cache. I think you were going to hide it behind the Barley Mill bar?

Yeah, that 'Welcome to Portland' cache never really got off the ground. I tried to find a nice centrally-located area that was still relatively unplunderable, but--like you said--that would almost have to be hidden behind the bar at the Mill or something since the parks are pretty saturated nowadays. Just ask fractal or mattandlaura! But hiding it at the Mill seems kinda cheap. Besides, they raised PBR prices AGAIN. $2.75 or something like that now. Sheesh, they priced me right out of my own neighborhood.

Every time i hit the sunset tunnel eastbound, i look up just before i hit the tunnel and think about putting one up there, but i have no idea how to get up to it without trespassing and bushwacking. besides, i think the commuters would catch on to that a little too quickly. and then i'd have a year in jail and a suspended ODL.

I noticed that there's a 'welcome to oregon' cache and a 'welcome to k-falls' cache down in cache heaven. if i have time to do those this weekend then maybe they'll give me some ideas. but if anyone (experienced) has a good idea then feel free to take the notion.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed