Trackable Faux Pas?

June1111

Hello, all!

I was wondering if the following would be a breach in geocaching etiquette...

I recently placed a travel bug in a nice, big cache that I thought would be perfect to help it fulfill its mission (it has to get to Texas from Ontario by August). Unfortunately, it has been a month and no one has found the cache after I did! The bug is just sitting there and with each passing day, I get more and more nervous that it will never make it in time. Do you guys think it would be rude to go and take it back, then place it in another cache that appears to have more traffic?

I realize that releasing a trackable and it doesn't go anywhere can be frustrating.

You initially thought placing your trackable in the cache it's in now was a good idea.

It might still be.

Would retrieving it , and placing it in a cache that has "more traffic" be safer?

Seeing so many trackables go missing in high-traffic areas, that would be an issue (if mine).

But sure, you can take it back.

Good luck. :)

@narcissa: Thank you!

@cerberus1: Ooh, that is definitely a risk, you're right. I certainly would not place it somewhere THAT high-traffic such as the downtown core, though; way too many muggles! I'm thinking I would maybe try a newly-published cache, since the FTF hunters go wild for them in this area. :P

I applaud you for taking an interest in the wellbeing of that trackable. It's a sign of a good cacher.

For some reason you choose that cache to leave it in. It may sound silly but in my mind that's exactly where it was meant to be.

Don't worry about it.

You did your part, now let fate do it's part and see what happens. You may be pleasantly surprised.

@justintim1999: Aww, I like that thought! For some reason, I still cannot bring myself to go retrieve it. Maybe I will wait another week or so. :)

I've been in the same boat your in now. I've re-picked up TB's that were stagnant and placed them in other "safer" caches only to see them go missing.

All you can do is place them in a caches you think are reasonably safe and see what happens.

What ever you decide to do I'm sure it will be the right thing.

Edited by justintim1999

ETA: Never mind! I figured out I needed to Add Another Log to get the option to retrieve it.

I'm not the OP, but I just did the same thing...moved our first travel bug that sat in a cache for 6 months. But now there doesn't seem to be a way to add it to the new cache's inventory. Anybody know what I should do? My options are Lock, Recalculate Distance, or Mark as Missing. I can't even delete the listing and repost. I can do some screen caps if that would help.

Edited by SwanFire

ETA: Never mind! I figured out I needed to Add Another Log to get the option to retrieve it.

I'm not the OP, but I just did the same thing...moved our first travel bug that sat in a cache for 6 months. But now there doesn't seem to be a way to add it to the new cache's inventory. Anybody know what I should do? My options are Lock, Recalculate Distance, or Mark as Missing. I can't even delete the listing and repost. I can do some screen caps if that would help.

Correct -- you can only add a trackable to a cache's inventory through the cache page. Glad you got it sorted.

Just a point to anyone who might be reading this thread and not know already: Deleting a trackable log does not undo the action! You need to make a new log to reverse the original action and then make your corrected log.