New update app won't load

Just downloaded the update to the app and now it will not open, anyone else having this problem? I guess I will be using cachly until this problem is resolved.

I got the splash screen, which stayed that way. Uninstall and reinstall fixed it.

This was on the iPhone. I haven't checked my droid yet.

Edited by kunarion

Just downloaded the update to the app and now it will not open, anyone else having this problem? I guess I will be using cachly until this problem is resolved.

Sorry the update caused trouble for you. We are aware of update problems for some users and we're investigating.

I tried turning phone off and back on with no help. I will delete and reinstall app and see if that works.

Sorry to hear that. The "easy fix" worked for me when I updated my iPhone 6 just now.

I deleted the app and reinstalled it and it seems to be working now.

Yay! I'm glad you're back in business.

So, it appears for some people, turning the phone off and back on will resolve the problem, while for others, an uninstall and reinstall is needed.

I tried turning phone off and back on with no help. I will delete and reinstall app and see if that works.

Sorry to hear that. The "easy fix" worked for me when I updated my iPhone 6 just now.

So, it appears for some people, turning the phone off and back on will resolve the problem, while for others, an uninstall and reinstall is needed.

Geocaching App updates require me to uninstall/reinstall on my iPhone 5. I think it's been every time. Several of my other (non-Geocaching) Apps also have the issue, so it's not especially uncommon.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for reporting the issue with the update. Something happened a few versions ago that seems to cause a small number of people to need to reinstall after the app updates. We *really* hate having to tell people to do that and are working hard to locate and fix the problem. The challenge with this one is that so far we haven't been able to reproduce the problem locally, nor have we seen any crash reports in our crash monitoring tool that seem to be relevant. When we finally track down the issue, we'll be sure to let everyone know.

Thanks!

Geocaching App updates require me to uninstall/reinstall on my iPhone 5. I think it's been every time. Several of my other (non-Geocaching) Apps also have the issue, so it's not especially uncommon.

Drat. Guess I am among that small number of people. There is a new cache in town and I won't get the FTF today because I can't get into the app and shutting it off an re-starting didn't work. Guess I'll have to wait til I get home and do the delete and reinstall of the app. Oh well, there's always next time!

Just to toss in our own difficulties with this. I had my iphone 6 plus hiccup, but full power down/power on fixed it back on June 9th or so. At the same time, I needed to delete and reinstall the app on my IOS 9 orig iPad mini, as well as my wife's IOS 10 iPad mini 3. Just had the same happened on our iPad mini's (actually on the wife's, and while typing this, checked to see if I had done the update on the my mini. Hadn't. Did. Need to reload).

Anyway. I thought I'd point out how this can be more than just an minor irritation.

While I use a Garmin GPS, my wife uses her iPad Mini to track and log the finds using Drafts (Field Notes). While its really great to be able to automatically see the drafts on all our devices and online, where I am able to add my own notes before posting them, that only works if my wife's iPad has been online with the app open. We just lost 12 cache find logs because she opened her iPad, saw some updates available, and did the updates.

Surprise!! One of the updates was the Geocaching app.

Guess what happens when you delete the app in order re-download the app?

Bye bye Drafts.

Hello tediously finding and recreating 12 geocaches logs with generic information because we don't remember which ones needs helpful information like "Cache full of water, log water-logged", "Really cute hobbit-town", "having a ball" (cache was filled with golf balls).

Sure, we know now not to update the app before making sure we go online with the app, but this makes it a lot more aggravating than merely irritating.

Otherwise, we are quite happy that the app has finally caught u and surpassed the old app (took long enough), although there's a lot of things we find of no use, but are sure we use features others have no use for.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for reporting the issue with the update. Something happened a few versions ago that seems to cause a small number of people to need to reinstall after the app updates. We *really* hate having to tell people to do that and are working hard to locate and fix the problem. The challenge with this one is that so far we haven't been able to reproduce the problem locally, nor have we seen any crash reports in our crash monitoring tool that seem to be relevant. When we finally track down the issue, we'll be sure to let everyone know.

Is there any information in particular that you need? My iPhone 5 got the new update on June 27th, and as always, it crashes at the splash screen. I can replicate it easily, it won't clear up unless or until I uninstall and install the new version. My iPad doesn't seem affected this time, which is unusual.

Here's what happens when I try to open the App:

The splash screen appears for about 20 seconds, then it shuts off and the home screen appears (The App crashes, drops back to the IOS Launchpad). However, at this point the previous version of the App seems to have tried to run and failed. Now there's a "Lists" screen open, not usable, but available to close, in the selection of currently open Apps. This lists screen is the one from the old version of the App, and I guess the last screen I used in the old App. I can swipe-close the "Lists" screen, and then replicate the entire thing all over again.

Edited by kunarion

For 2 days I can't use the App. The map and shown caches seem to be stuck at the last time I used it.

I put my Iphone off and on again. Without success. I deleted the App to get it back afterwards and now I can't log in because 'you are not connected to internet' but everything else is functioning except this App.

what is wrong???

new update not coming through???