Release Notes (Geocaching® app, DNFs & attributes) - June 8, 2017

Release Notes (Geocaching® app) - June 8, 2017

With this release you can now view caches you DNF (Did Not Find) on the map and in your Lists. The DNF icon makes it easy to identify on the map and in your Lists.

Additionally, you can view Attributes in the app. The cache details page will display the top 5 Attributes with the ability to view all on a separate screen. Attributes are included when saving cache info for offline use.

We also improved the process for saving offline lists. When creating new lists, you now have the option to save offline right away. If any of your offline lists are incomplete, you will now see a badge on the Lists tray, reminding you to refresh the download.

In every release, we also fix bugs and make other small improvements to the Geocaching® app

• New intro slides when creating an account on the app
  • Access to mobile responsive Help Center from within the app
  • Updates to trackables help/about copy

Please note it may take a few days for some users of the Geocaching® app for Android to have access to the update that includes this functionality.

Ben H from HQ’s Product Team is watching the thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

DNF's: I really like the DNF icons. Thanks for this. Hope that will make it to the website's map.

Attributes: This is great. Thanks!

Offline lists: Not quite understanding what the update is here. Is there supposed to be a 'download offline' option when creating a brand new list? If so, then I am not seeing it.

Help Center: My app crashes every time I select 'Help and About'.

--------------------------------------------

Android 4.4.2 / Geocaching app 5.4

I'm not seeing the DNF icon on the maps. iPhone user.

The DNF icon only applies to caches you've DNFed and not found subsequently. If you've found the cache later after DNFing it you'll of course see the smiley icon instead. Are you not seeing the DNF face on caches that meet those criteria? If so, can you provide one or a couple GC codes where you're not seeing DNFs that you think you should be?

DNF's: I really like the DNF icons. Thanks for this. Hope that will make it to the website's map.

Attributes: This is great. Thanks!

Offline lists: Not quite understanding what the update is here. Is there supposed to be a 'download offline' option when creating a brand new list? If so, then I am not seeing it.

Help Center: My app crashes every time I select 'Help and About'.

--------------------------------------------

Android 4.4.2 / Geocaching app 5.4

The offline shortcut is shown when you're creating a new list from one or more caches. If you select add to list then the + sign to create a new list you should see a new "Save for offline" checkbox. That checkbox is not shown if you're creating a new blank list. Can you see the checkbox when creating a new list from selected caches?

I'll check on the help screen problem tomorrow. Thanks for reporting.

Release Notes (Geocaching® app) - June 8, 2017

With this release you can now view caches you DNF (Did Not Find) on the map and in your Lists. The DNF icon makes it easy to identify on the map and in your Lists.

This is what I would like to see on the website! I got so excited when I saw the announcement in my facebook feed, but didn't realise it's for the app only.

The offline shortcut is shown when you're creating a new list from one or more caches. If you select add to list then the + sign to create a new list you should see a new "Save for offline" checkbox. That checkbox is not shown if you're creating a new blank list. Can you see the checkbox when creating a new list from selected caches?

Ah, I see it now. I was not seeing a 'download offline' option when creating a new (blank) list, which makes sense because there'd be nothing to download. I do see the 'download offline' option when adding a cache to a brand new list, but I seem to recall that option being there in the 5.3 version and so I thought there was something else that was 'new' in the 5.4 version. Thanks.

So I had a long note pending on how I wasn't seeing DNF icons on the app map, then noted I was still running v5.3. Google Play still has 5.3 listed as the current version and currently gives me no option to update.

How long is the typical wait between an announcement here of a new version and the actual availability for Android users? Is there an alternate I can use to get an updated version without waiting for Google Play store?

I know this is a basic question, which may well be answered in other places on the forum (I looked but didn't find an answer). So, to make it relevant for this new release notes thread: if there is a known lag time, then for future releases, can you please give an indication as to when the update will be available for download, both for Apple and Android?

This is what I would like to see on the website! I got so excited when I saw the announcement in my facebook feed, but didn't realise it's for the app only.

Coming soon ;)

Ah, I see it now. I was not seeing a 'download offline' option when creating a new (blank) list, which makes sense because there'd be nothing to download. I do see the 'download offline' option when adding a cache to a brand new list, but I seem to recall that option being there in the 5.3 version and so I thought there was something else that was 'new' in the 5.4 version. Thanks.

You're not imagining things. :grin: Sometimes we test new features on a smaller basis before rolling them out to everyone. This release is the first time the offline shortcut has been available to everyone.

So I had a long note pending on how I wasn't seeing DNF icons on the app map, then noted I was still running v5.3. Google Play still has 5.3 listed as the current version and currently gives me no option to update.

How long is the typical wait between an announcement here of a new version and the actual availability for Android users? Is there an alternate I can use to get an updated version without waiting for Google Play store?

I know this is a basic question, which may well be answered in other places on the forum (I looked but didn't find an answer). So, to make it relevant for this new release notes thread: if there is a known lag time, then for future releases, can you please give an indication as to when the update will be available for download, both for Apple and Android?

As the release notes mention, it can take a few days for the Android update to be available to everyone. Google allows for phased rollouts; we use that feature to monitor a new release for crashes before pushing it out to everyone.

Coming soon ;)

Thanks Ben! It's time we love and nurture the DNF! Plus it helps me get rid of one bookmark list.

Coming soon ;)

Thanks Ben! It's time we love and nurture the DNF! Plus it helps me get rid of one bookmark list.

For me it's the exact other way round :) At the moment the DNF icons came I converted all my DNF logs to notes... I want to see the cache TYPE and I don't care at all if i didn't found a cache earlier or not! And as I understood quite some of the comments for the website it's not just me thinking like that.

It would have been a nice feature if it would just have been the standard type icons but with a blue surrounding or blue dot at the edge. This way it hurts way more than it helps me.

I just got the latest update.

It's still not displaying mystery or multi caches at the corrected coordinates.

It still gives no indication that a puzzle cache even has corrected coordinates, until you click on it.

In suppose I'm still not going to be using it, then.

As the release notes mention, it can take a few days for the Android update to be available to everyone. Google allows for phased rollouts; we use that feature to monitor a new release for crashes before pushing it out to everyone.

So it does. Clearly I missed that line. Thanks for the info on phased rollouts, though, makes sense.