Oregon 650 and screen sensitivity

OK fellows, I own an Oregon 650 for about one year and overall I am very happy with this device. But there is something which is driving me nuts and perhaps some of you developed good tactics to deal with it because I am pretty sure I am not the only one having issues... so.... I am walking, looking for a cache... I consult the GPS... now, if I forget to turn the screen off, I am done... net time I look at the screen it's like the devil too over the device. Everything is changed and worst of all (happened twice already) the track of the trip was reset!

Any ideas? I am sure other people experienced this. The previous Oregon, thanks to it's design didn't have these problems.

OK fellows, I own an Oregon 650 for about one year and overall I am very happy with this device. But there is something which is driving me nuts and perhaps some of you developed good tactics to deal with it because I am pretty sure I am not the only one having issues... so.... I am walking, looking for a cache... I consult the GPS... now, if I forget to turn the screen off, I am done... net time I look at the screen it's like the devil too over the device. Everything is changed and worst of all (happened twice already) the track of the trip was reset!

Any ideas? I am sure other people experienced this. The previous Oregon, thanks to it's design didn't have these problems.

I use Garmin's "clamshell case", which not only keeps it from getting scratched up, it makes inadvertent taps on the screen almost never happen. I never lock the screen, but it's simple to assign the lock screen to a button.

I use Garmin's "clamshell case", which not only keeps it from getting scratched up, it makes inadvertent taps on the screen almost never happen. I never lock the screen, but it's simple to assign the lock screen to a button.

I actually thought about getting a physical barrier, like I had to my previous Oregon but I was not actually using it. I might give it a try... looking now at eBay. But for now I was wondering if someone had a instant strategy, not needing extra material :-)

On all my Oregon 6x0 units, I have the Power Button set to: [Double Tap > Screen On/Off]

Just click the power button twice quickly before putting it in your pocket or wherever you keep it! If you find it still gets turned on by accident due to tight clothing or other contact, try setting the [user Button > Hold > Screen On/Off]. I normally have this option set to screen lock, so I can view data without changing anything when touching the screen!

Edited by Atlas Cached

I have to agree with the responses above. Set the function on your power button (single or double tap) to turn the screen off. Additionally, set the screen timeout to 15 or 30 seconds, so that if you forget to turn the screen off, it'll do so automatically in a short amount of time.

Finally, the advantage of the Oregon 600 series over the previous models is that the screen requires a weak electric signal to function (IE, your fingers or a stylus) rather than pressure. This means that if you clip your GPS to your pack, it shouldn't activate the screen unless the screen hits your skin. I had problems with my 450 where other objects would interfere with the screen as the GPS bounced around, hitting the pack. You might adjust how you hold or mount/clip your GPS while you're walking such that the screen doesn't come in contact with skin.

I'm assuming that you have the screen sensitivity set to low (normal?) instead of high in the display settings. I also have a screen protector on mine which helps reduce some of the sensitivity as well, but it will still respond to accidental touches if the screen is still active.

Finally, the one downside to the 600's screens that respond to electric signals is that they are prone to false signals when they get wet. If you're taking your GPS for a swim (canoeing, kayaking, rafting, or out in a heavy rainstorm), be sure to lock the screen before it gets wet.

As I wrote in the original post, I have a screen off button, the problem is that will be easy to forget to press it. I will reinforce the situation with a screen timeout of 30 second in the profile used for walks and geocaching. Thanks for the suggestion, Mineral2.

Mineral2, not so sure about that advantageous screen signal... as you very well mentioned I never had problems with rain with the 550 but with the 650 even light rain will make the unit close to inoperative. Water activates random spots of the screen and in the other hand it becomes partially irresponsive to my own touches. But then, I might want to try to raise screen sensitivity, an option I was not aware of. Meanwhile, it's not about skin, really, I use it hanging from my neck, so the contact is with my clothes, at chest level.

Sidenote: I do have screen protector.

Screen off is not really an option if you want to check the map while you walk. Every time you have to press any buttons to get the screen back on.

Here is an option to lock the screen but have it on and functioning, so you can navigate without the risk of screwing up your settings:

To customize the User Key to Toggle the Screen Lock....

Stage 1 - Set up a shortcut to toggle the screen lock

Main menu

Setup

Shortcuts

Create shortcut

Give the new shortcut a name, e.g. Screen toggle

Then Setup

Screen Lock

Toggle setting

Then back out to main menu

Stage 2 - Customize User Key

From Main Menu press Setup

System

Configure keys

User Key

Single tap

Menu item

Shortcuts

Select the shortcut you created, e.g. Screen toggle

Then back out

greetings, MB

Ah ah That's also a very valid idea, although I am more tempted to keep using screen on/off, due to energy management reasons. But in many situations that would be a better solution so I can create a profile for it. Thanks a lot!

Great contributions! I am happy and I think my problems will end now. I configured user key to turn on and off the screen with a single tap, reduced sensivity of screen and reduced the screen timeout. Then I configured user key as Mausebiver suggested, but activating with hold. So I can switch between the two solutions. Thanks!

One think which keeps me worried is how resistent the button is to so much activity. My Oregin 550 button just got all ruined with time, and that was from seldom usage, just turning on and off the unit.

Edited by Torgut

Screen off is not really an option if you want to check the map while you walk. Every time you have to press any buttons to get the screen back on.

That is very much an option, and one of the best, especially for getting the most out of a pair of batteries. Pressing the button to turn the screen on, look at the map, and then turn it back off is not a big deal. It's more of a hassle to unlock the screen every time you want to switch pages.

You may want to be sure that your dashboard and data fields are locked as well.

^This

I didn't even realize there was such an option until someone mentioned it recently here in the forums. There had been a few times where I forgot to hit my screen lock toggle before putting it in my pocket and would pull it out to find some data fields had changed. Locking the fields very neatly solves this problem. IIRC, hit the hamburger menu and there should be an option to lock the data fields on whichever screen you're on (assuming you use data fields, of course :laughing: ).