Release Notes (Website only, Profile & Dashboard) - June 6, 2017

2. We are working on a better solution for the map access. There are plans to highlight it in the header, so you can access it from anywhere on the website and not have to click into the Dashboard to get to it. Unfortunately we are short on development folks in the front end department right now, so that work is taking a bit longer than we originally expected. We know it's an issue and are hoping to make it easier soon.

3. We're looking into options on adding another link to this area that takes a user to the cache page.

4. We just changed the designs to remove the 'YOU' from the page if you are looking at your own information. This will help with some of the white space too. Look for that change in the next few weeks.

5. Thanks for the bug report! I have added it to our backlog to get that cache name in there soon.

6. Yep! Agreed - we will be changing them out to be the log type icon instead, soon.

7. I'll bring up your concerns with our UX designer. Even though you know what those numbers mean, we have to think of everyone who is looking at the page - including newer folks who may need a bit of a visual to help them understand what they are looking at.

8. Regarding the picture, we have heard from many people that they wanted a larger picture back again, after it was removed a few of years ago - we're going with that for now. Regarding the links at the top - during the design phase we looked at the most used links and moved them to the top of the column. It sounds like you aren't necessarily in alignment with the majority, unfortunately. We'll keep checking the data to see what folks are using most and shift things accordingly.

9. I completely understand that you are used to viewing a smaller text size, as most of the website is much smaller. Unfortunately, most of our website is not currently accessible for people that have any kind of vision impairment and that's not good. We are making strides to improve contrast, spacing, colors, and text size to make sure that we are up to current accessibility standards. American Foundation for the Blind says this about text size, "Large print type should be used, preferably 18 point, but at a minimum 16 point." All of our text in new development will be displayed at least 16 point to move the site toward meeting accessibility standards.

10. Thanks for the feedback. We definitely know that we have more work to do on the Profile page. The first step was just to bring it out of our old code base. We'll be focusing on the Dashboard for the majority of the summer, but we know that we aren't finished with the Profile yet.

I hope this has helped to update you on what we will be changing and answer some of your questions about why some of the changes are being made. Appreciate you taking the time to detail out what still isn't working for you. We're reading the forums everyday and listening to what the community has to say.

Text size again... First I wanted to write a complete politically incorrect comment, but I better don't ;) Ok, so now the real comment: I can understand that a FEW people want to see larger fonts. But what I don't understand is the fact these people can't just zoom in? Easy, works for every website and all the other apps, too. Standard OS feature. And would leave us with more space for the info we really want to get.

Even the last changes still let me stay with the old style dashboard as I still can't find a single reason to use the new version. I want to see a WAY bigger number of MY last logs with way more info than at the moment. The old style shows way more details and in addition to that I would also like to see the GC code, too. So the option to not show my friends' logs was the first I turned on. But I still can hardly see all the logs of a single caching day! So why should I want to use the dashboard then? And I still can only get to the log, not to the cache waht exactly is what I like to see and use. I guess that I only click the log link in less than 10% of the cases I'm using that part of the dashboard.

I don't really mind where the other options can be found. After some time I will be able to find them. And my default page anyways is the map page and not the dashboard as this is where I'm planning my trips.

Edited by monsterbox

I'm still looking for a "Create a new bookmark list" link on the new "Lists" page. There's not one, so far as I know. This is the exact reason that I still go back to the old Lists page. If this one item were fixed, I'd be happy using the new one. But for now, not having that link is a complete dealbreaker. Thanks for listening.

Elaine Poe

TxStrawberryCreek

Fort Worth, TX

I'm still using my alternate script for now. It still works nicely :) I've got a few changes to make, but this is still what I'd personally love to see the dash appearance move more towards:

DashboardNew2.png

That's exactly how I would like my dashboard to be, with the addition of a Settings link just above the Statistics link on the left.

It would be especially help if in the Recent Logs section that was a link to the cache page or trackable page there as well. I find that about 99% of the time I would want to click a link here to go to the cache page or trackable page, especially for the trackables I visit to caches. There's nothing included in those logs, so having the link go to the log for that trackable visit is useless.

I ran into a pretty bad delay in the dashboard last night while logging my finds for the day. I noticed after I had logged a few that none of them were showing up in the Recent Logs section of the new dashboard. I kept an eye on it, but none of the logs were showing by the time I went to bed, about 2 hours after I entered the first log. However, when I retrieved a trackable, that log showed up immediately. All of my logs were showing when I checked this morning. A >2 hour delay before cache logs show up will definitely need to be rectified before this goes to production, so hopefully the upcoming performance improvements will help with this. IMO, anything more than a few seconds of delay would be a no-go.

I cannot believe that my screen must have large pictures and fonts to cater for a small minroty who can (and probably have) zoomed in.

All that needs to be done is make sure, when zoomed, the screen presentation is still readable.

This. A thousand times this.

Web pages should be like a magic library, where every visitor gets a copy with the font size that person needs, and where they can easily increase/decrease the font size if necessary. (Or use an environment that doesn't even use fonts, if appropriate.)

Web pages should not be like a large-print library, where every visitor gets the large-print copy.

I cannot believe that my screen must have large pictures and fonts to cater for a small minroty who can (and probably have) zoomed in.

All that needs to be done is make sure, when zoomed, the screen presentation is still readable.

Hi ChrisDen,

when you created your avatar, you used some source material (my avatar) without realizing that it completely spells my geocaching name. It is there, hidden in plain sight (like so many geocaches). I am guessing you wanted a different one; perhaps the one I used as inspiration many years ago. (I did create mine from scratch).

So maybe you should be zooming in like the rest of us, to see what you are missing? ;)

Hynr.

PS. In case you think I am upset: I am not. I am flattered. You are welcome to use your avatar as you have it.

I too ran into a delay with logs showing up on the Dashboard today. I was logging via GSAK. My first log showed up after about 3 hours. The next couple, made those few hours later, showed up immediately. Unfortunately, they all showed up with the date stamp for when they appeared on the Dashboard, not the date of the log (or, in the case of the first log, even the date I logged it). The Dashboard should reflect my caching history, not my logging tardiness.

I'm still using my alternate script for now. It still works nicely :) I've got a few changes to make, but this is still what I'd personally love to see the dash appearance move more towards:

DashboardNew2.png

That's exactly how I would like my dashboard to be, with the addition of a Settings link just above the Statistics link on the left.

My dashboard looks like this:

NewDashboard2.png

Feel free to grab the script from my blog, and make any changes you want: https://thomfre.net/en/tech/adjusting-the-new-experience/ (just remember to remove the update URL if you decide to make your own version of it).

One thing I really would like, is better utilization of all available screen space. I have a huge monitor, and more than half of it is left blank. Yes, I can fix that too in my script, but it would be nice to have the dashboard use all available space by default.

And please remove ads for us paying members :)

DashboardNew2.png

My dashboard looks like this:

NewDashboard2.png

Feel free to grab the script from my blog, and make any changes you want: https://thomfre.net/en/tech/adjusting-the-new-experience/ (just remember to remove the update URL if you decide to make your own version of it).

One thing I really would like, is better utilization of all available screen space. I have a huge monitor, and more than half of it is left blank. Yes, I can fix that too in my script, but it would be nice to have the dashboard use all available space by default.

And please remove ads for us paying members :)

Neat! I wish there was a dedicated thread to website scripts! I might actually keep this as it looks better than the original old dashboard. Thanks for this. Just need to change the URL from cachetur to the map. And the only real preference for this script would be to get rid of the additional information underneath the recently viewed caches.

Neat! I wish there was a dedicated thread to website scripts! I might actually keep this as it looks better than the original old dashboard. Thanks for this. Just need to change the URL from cachetur to the map. And the only real preference for this script would be to get rid of the additional information underneath the recently viewed caches.

The search field takes you directly to the map :) I haven't decided yet if I like the additional information or not. But removing it is easy.

It is interesting how different people who are capable of customizing web code actually alter the UI towards their personal use cases :) If more people did this I think it'd provide a MUCH better resource for research by the developers then mere blob activity of millions of users. Practical application of multiple features by capable external developers... cool.gif

The search field takes you directly to the map :) I haven't decided yet if I like the additional information or not. But removing it is easy.

yes, I noticed the searchfield. I simply prefer to start with the map at my homelocation. it might be easier for Norway, but typing your average small British town into the search often brings you to a hamlet somewhere in the US :laughing:

...but typing your average small British town into the search often brings you to a hamlet somewhere in the US :laughing:

That happens when typing Norwegian place names as well. But adding ", Norway" or ", Rogaland" (where Rogaland is they county name) always takes me to the correct spot. The same is true for a lot of US places as well. It amazes me how many places that have the same name!

I've still yet to see my recently viewed caches. They simply never load.

We have developers looking into this issue and will hopefully have a resolution soon.

For whichever reason, my recently viewed caches have finally begun to appear.