Back in the game

Verga

It has been about 7-8 years, since the wife and I cached and weare trying to get back into it.

Recently I agreed to be a volunteer for the local scout troop and noticed that there is a Geocaching merit badge, hey kill two birds with one stone.

I have two questions:

1) We are going on a hike to to Hone ridge quarry next week. I noticed that there are several caches in the area, are any of them on the hiking trail tot he quarry.

2) Has anyone setup a "Cache to Eagle" can you give me any suggestions?

Thanks

Welcome back.

1) We are going on a hike to to Hone ridge quarry next week. I noticed that there are several caches in the area, are any of them on the hiking trail tot he quarry.

Looks like Cache Advance is right off of the road. If you go to the geocaching map for that area and zoom in a little, you can see that the others around it appear to be right around the trail.

Thank you, It also looks like the Hone Quarry on is on one of the trails we will be using. I am still trying to remember the old bells and whistles and learn the new ones.

No worries -- it'd be a neat trick if you had been able to pick up where you left off eight years ago with any website, let alone this one. The maps have changed a lot, there are different maps you can pick depending on what you need. I've found both the site's default map and the opencycle maps are good for trails.

Was just up around your neck of the woods over Memorial Day weekend, getting a few caches around Massanutten and Luray. Always love getting up that way. Enjoy yourself.

No worries -- it'd be a neat trick if you had been able to pick up where you left off eight years ago with any website, let alone this one. The maps have changed a lot, there are different maps you can pick depending on what you need. I've found both the site's default map and the opencycle maps are good for trails.

Was just up around your neck of the woods over Memorial Day weekend, getting a few caches around Massanutten and Luray. Always love getting up that way. Enjoy yourself.

Actually I live in Staunton, if you are in this neck of the woods, let me know maybe we an hit a few together.
On 6/5/2017 at 9:13 AM, Verga said:

It has been about 7-8 years, since the wife and I cached and weare trying to get back into it.

2) Has anyone setup a "Cache to Eagle" can you give me any suggestions?

We are relatively new to geocaching, however our son (an Eagle scout) has over 9000 finds since he started in 2004 or 2005, met his (now) wife at a Yosemite CITO 3 years ago, and she has over 5000 finds - we decided to join the hobby once my husband retired, and we've been caching with our own "geo"names since March 2017.  We did dabble some as tagalongs with our son over the years, and were the guinea pigs on his gadget and puzzle caches.  Could we open the container?  Could we solve his puzzle?  So we're not really "newbies" to the concept of geocaching and hiding caches.  We just haven't done it much ourselves, yet.

Both our sons are Eagle scouts, and we are still active in scouting locally on the unit, district, and council levels.  There are a plethora of Eagle projects all around us that would be ideal for the Cache to Eagle series, and we are planning to do a series.  We have several locations scoped out, permission and coordinate clearance for one so far, but we want to make the finds worthy of the project showcase, not just a pill bottle in the nearby bush.  We'd like to place similar containers/placards/other identifying ... something at each one so it's not necessarily difficult to find - the point is to bring attention to the Eagle project and hey, log a cache while you are here, if you know there's a logbook hidden in the placard/post/whatever we're going to make for each one.  So, we need to build a bunch of similar .... whatevers to place at the project sites (when appropriate, of course) and then go do the write ups and and place them and .... yeah, it all takes time.

Suggestions - first is to find Eagle projects in your area.  Depending on how good the record keeping is, or how tight you are with local scout troops that are doing Eagle projects, this can be a challenge.  We happen to have excellent records of projects done in our district over the past 5-6 years, and being as active as we are, we know most of the scouts and projects pretty well.

Once you know where they are located, choose ones that are conducive to cache placement nearby, and those that you can obtain permission from landowners or others that would need to know about the cache placement.  Then you need to verify that there are no other nearby caches that would prevent you from placing one at that location.  Do a quality write up, make it worthy of an Eagle scout project!!  

Good luck, and happy caching!  I can let you know when we get some of ours placed, if you are interested.  It will likely be another month or more ...

On 8/10/2017 at 8:12 PM, CAVinoGal said:

Then you need to verify that there are no other nearby caches that would prevent you from placing one at that location.

Just a thought, but another way to highlight a project, or other interesting item, is to incorporate it into a multi-cache. If there isn't an ideal hiding spot at the project, but there is a good spot nearby, then maybe create the cache as a Multi and use info at the project to derive the coords for the nearby cache.

• Upvote 1