What is it and is it kosher?

InterpRanger

Hi folks! We have a summer challenge at our site for people to find and object that will move about once a week. I'd like to know if I can make it into a geocache or something similar for the summer, but not sure if it fits! It is a chair that will be moved, people must find it, take a photo, and post with a proper hashtag. I was hoping that I could tie the chair and challenge to geocaching as well. Does this make any sense? Thanks!

Hello, and thanks for your interest in connecting your idea to geocaching!

Unfortunately, the idea does not fit within any of the standard geocache types. All geocaches must have a physical container with a logbook inside for geocachers to record their visit. (There's an exception for the EarthCache program, where the "caches" concentrate on an educational lesson and there is no container. But, the lesson must be geology-related. The National Park Service is a strong partner of the EarthCaching program!)

In addition, geocaches cannot "move" from one location to another. Among other reasons for this listing guideline, this ensures that the location for each container meets all of the rules for placing a geocache.

Your promotion sounds fun, and might fit in well on other location-based game platforms. Or, it can simply be a fun activity based on a handout at the visitors' center, and on your site's social media pages.

Edited by Keystone

Hi folks! We have a summer challenge at our site for people to find and object that will move about once a week. I'd like to know if I can make it into a geocache or something similar for the summer, but not sure if it fits! It is a chair that will be moved, people must find it, take a photo, and post with a proper hashtag. I was hoping that I could tie the chair and challenge to geocaching as well. Does this make any sense? Thanks!

Sounds like a fun challenge. It might work better as a Trackable:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=10

The "dogtags" are pretty inexpensive, and although you can't require a picture on the trackable page, many people post photos voluntarily, particularly if it's something interactive like a chair. Our Community did something similar and attached a tag to a table that we donated to the State Parks:

051e1ca6-46d1-4709-942d-3c4f8563b3e9.jpg

There have been mystery/puzzle caches where you had to find moving objects (e.g., Travel Bugs) to get the actual coordinates for the cache (which remained in a fixed location, in accordance with the guidelines), or to get the key/combination to open the lock that secured the cache container.

If you're set on incorporating a moving chair into a geocache, and you have a fixed location where you can hide the actual geocache, then that might be a way to do it. The cache itself would be at a fixed location, but to find it, you would need to collect information from the moving chair.