Download PQ to GPS

I would like to download PQs to my old Garmin Legend HCx using my MAC. When I had the Windows computer I used Easy GPS. The Help Center lists the MAC applications as: Routebuddy, Google Earth, GPSBabel, and iCaching. I'm looking for one that is easy to use. Which one would you suggest?

Basecamp will work. You'll have to import the gpx files into basecamp, and then you can send them to the GPS. I would then delete the geocache waypoints from your basecamp database (directly in the program, but do it after you've disconnected your GPS to be sure you're deleting them from the correct location) so that when you update your PQ, you don't run into any duplicate waypoint issues.

iCaching claims to support your class of GPS, and in which case, that might be the easiest route for you. iCaching will download pocket queries directly, plus direct searches via API and will maintain a database of caches for you, including the ability to update them (Get recent logs, update status, etc.) and send them directly to your GPS. If you don't want to buy iCaching right away, you can go to their website and download a demo to try it out first and make sure it's working for you.

Edited by Mineral2

GPSBabel knows about that GPS and it knows about geocaching pocket queries, so it'll get it done. It'll take a drag and drop of an unzipped PQ as input, but you'll still need to select "garmin" and "usb" as an output. I won't pretend it's the easiest possible solution for that specific case. That's the price of flexibility.

As pedantry, in the computer business, "MAC" is the Media Access Controller, a low level in the ISO protocol stack while a "Mac" is a computer built by Apple.

As disclosure, I'm the GPSBabel creator and a geocacher.

GPSBabel is a good and simple program for getting the job done, I have used it before.

My personal preference is GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife).

The program can be quite powerful, but if you just want to download your PQ, and load it into your GPS, you can do that, too.

I like the database look of the program, and I can sort the caches how I like, and when you click on a cache in the list, it give you the description and a map.

Edited by W8TVI

Thanks for all your suggestions and insights.

I decided to try GPSBabel because robertlipe's explanation sounded simple enough and I used the link at the bottom of the Chief Babel-head's post. After some confusion as to what to actually click on to download GPSBabel, I did get it, but ran into another problem.

I tried to post a complete screenshot but got "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board."

So here is the error message I got:

gpsbabel -w -r -t -i gpx -f /Users/owner/Downloads/8859398_mine/8859398_mine.gpx -o garmin -F /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

[ERROR] GPS_Packet_Read: Timeout. No data received.

GARMIN:Can't init /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

Error running gpsbabel: Process exited unsucessfully with code 1

The file name I drag/dropped right out of the download folder.

I can't get rid of the device name "/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

Edited:

OK I tried it again, first changing the device name from "/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port" to "usb:" before doing anything else.

I made a mistake, which I figured out, and tried it again--and it worked this time.

So I think I'm good to go now. Thanks again.

Edited by NanCycle

Enjoy. It should remember that your settings so you have even fewer clicks next time. Drag and drop of GPX files should work once again now. (That were broken on certain OS/X versions until a few months ago.)

Bonus tip: If you want to hunt with real cache names instead of GC54321, go "Advanced Options" and select "Synthesize short names". It will make the best human-readable name (with an English slant) that fits on your device, but is still unique.

I see the gauche colored icons are in the buttons for advanced settings. I'll make those Windows-only tonight...