Making a trackable

TeamEchoBlu

I have a neat silver wolf head wit black claw necklace piece that I want to make into a trackable, but I can't figure out how to do it. Do I HAVE to purchase a travel bug to do this?

Unfortunately, we don't currently offer a way to customize trackables. We hope to offer custom tracking codes in the future, but we just aren't there yet. However, you can:

Purchase any regular trackable and activate it on Geocaching.com

Use the tracking number for your item — this simply "releases" your item as the actual trackable

Do not release the original trackable into the game — only one tracking code per item, please :-)

I have a neat silver wolf head wit black claw necklace piece that I want to make into a trackable, but I can't figure out how to do it. Do I HAVE to purchase a travel bug to do this?

Unfortunately, we don't currently offer a way to customize trackables. We hope to offer custom tracking codes in the future, but we just aren't there yet. However, you can:

Purchase any regular trackable and activate it on Geocaching.com

Use the tracking number for your item — this simply "releases" your item as the actual trackable

Do not release the original trackable into the game — only one tracking code per item, please :-)

So, just purchase the travel bug, but make another tag with the code to go with my item instead of using the trackable bug I buy?

So, just purchase the travel bug, but make another tag with the code to go with my item instead of using the trackable bug I buy?

You may use just the tracking number, and inscribe it onto the piece, in which case you don't send out the TB tag. Or you can attach the tag instead.

An advantage of securely attaching a TB tag is that finders may easily recognize it as a Trackable item. If there's no tag, more info would need to be inscribed, such as "Track at Geocaching.com".

Sounds very nice... :)

Don't expect it to last too long out on it's own. :(

If it's like this one, it's just about right for a TB attachment:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/40501ab5-55e7-4b00-9ece-bf9ceeb19dff.jpg

That's about $1.50 on eBay, with free shipping.

Anyway, yeah buy a TB for its tracking number (or use the tracking number on a Geocoin you own and which you aren't releasing). Maybe the tracking number can be embedded or laser-engraved on the tooth part. Or attach the TB in a way that's pretty tough to remove. Also, there are even smaller "Trackable tags" that might be pretty cool to attach instead.

If it's valuable or collectible, sure it's best to keep it yourself, and log visits or allow friends to "discover" it. I've revived my lost coins and TBs, and several are very nice reincarnations of the original. Not to be placed in a cache ever. That nice. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion