What does collectible mean?

Bishopsgateschool

13 hours ago, BugLuv said:

I just received my tracking numbers travel bugs that I ordered, so will be releasing some into the wild.

I received mine, too!  I'm still designing mine, but this one travels with me, visits caches, logs miles, and will be "discovered" by other cachers at times. I had a dragon traveling with me for photos with caches and posed with TBs, but it had no tracking tag until now. It's not set as "Collectible", because as mentioned, don't even mess with that.  "Collectible" is only a switch to allow the next step of adding an item to a Collection, for people with tons of Geocoins who need it to help manage their coins, so "Collectible" is no good if you aren't even doing that, and almost always not ideal for just one Trackable. :)

IMAG2287.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, kunarion said:

I received mine, too!  I'm still designing mine, but this one travels with me, visits caches, logs miles, and will be "discovered" by other cachers at times. I had a dragon traveling with me for photos with caches and posed with TBs, but it had no tracking tag until now. It's not set as "Collectible", because as mentioned, don't even mess with that.  "Collectible" is only a switch to allow the next step of adding an item to a Collection, for people with tons of Geocoins who need it to help manage their coins, so "Collectible" is no good if you aren't even doing that, and almost always not ideal for just one Trackable. :)

IMAG2287.jpg

Very cool! I’m already finding it hard to part with one! ?

I have one "collectable" trackable, which I collected because there are many instances of this trackable circulating.  I designed a business card for my geocaching YT channel with a trackable code on the back, handed out a bunch of the cards, and after multiple cachers "grabbing" the card, I realized the situation warranted a "discover only" setting.  I wasn't sure how to do that, but some peers explained that "collecting" the card allowed people to discover but not take or move the trackable tag.

Maybe I should do that with my YT video that's a trackable as well (TB8NCC4), since it's a virtual trackable and not one that can be picked up.

I had no idea what collectable meant before I ran into this issue.

1 hour ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I have one "collectable" trackable, which I collected because there are many instances of this trackable circulating.  I designed a business card for my geocaching YT channel with a trackable code on the back, handed out a bunch of the cards, and after multiple cachers "grabbing" the card, I realized the situation warranted a "discover only" setting.  I wasn't sure how to do that, but some peers explained that "collecting" the card allowed people to discover but not take or move the trackable tag.

Maybe I should do that with my YT video that's a trackable as well (TB8NCC4), since it's a virtual trackable and not one that can be picked up.

I had no idea what collectable meant before I ran into this issue.

I bought my Cache Cards (a kind of baseball card for Geocachers) for an upcoming Event, and this year all cards of a design have a tracking number.  So I did similar to what you did. 

1) I marked it Collectible, the "switch" that allows it to be moved to the digital place called the "Collection".  Remember: "Collectible" is selected while actively working on moving the trackable to the Collection, and only then.

2) I logged it into my Collection, so the only logs available to others are "Discovered" and "Note".

3) I selected it back to "Not Collectible", since the plan was complete.  At this point, I am not in the process of moving it to a Collection.  It's done.

Items in your "Collection" are not shown in the Inventory, and not available to be logged into caches.  Because they're not in your Inventory, the items can't be "Grabbed".  This can be used, as you've said, when cachers for some reason are "Grabbing" your virtual TB, and you need a creative way to prevent that.  It would be a lot simpler if, rather than having to learn what "Collectible" was designed for, exactly how to use it, and what the consequences of using it are, there was simply a button on the TB page where the owner could select "This is for Discover only".  But there's not.

But this thread is specifically for the "Collectible" button.  "Collectible" is only a switch to allow a trackable item to be logged into a "Collection", as part of a plan.  So once it's in a Collection as planned (yours or someone else's), uncheck the button. There is no value leaving it "switched on to allow it to be logged into a Collection", after it's already there.  There's a case to be made that anyone who leaves their TB selected to "Collectible" after it is in the desired Collection, or if it is never placed into one (without explanation text on its page about the plan) does not know what they're doing. B)

Edited by kunarion
27 minutes ago, kunarion said:

So once it's in a Collection as planned (yours or someone else's), uncheck the button. There is no value leaving it "switched on to allow it to be logged into a Collection", after it's already there.  

Thanks, now the two items in my collection are no longer collectable.  So confusing!  I feel like I accomplished something today, however, making something collectable, collecting it, and making it not collectable, because that's so intuitive.   :)

2 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Thanks, now the two items in my collection are no longer collectable.  So confusing!  I feel like I accomplished something today, however, making something collectable, collecting it, and making it not collectable, because that's so intuitive.   :)

"Collectible" has many layers of confusing. :P

Okay, old discussion on collectible vs non-collectible, but still (or again) very relevant. If you activate a trackable now, you have to choose between collectible and non-collectible immediately. So not making a choice as has been recommended here before is no longer an option. The guidelines seem to have the info needed at https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=41&pgid=250, but I had to search quite a bit to find that.

Edited by NLBokkie
3 hours ago, NLBokkie said:

Okay, old discussion on collectible vs non-collectible, but still (or again) very relevant. If you activate a trackable now, you have to choose between collectible and non-collectible immediately. So not making a choice as has been recommended here before is no longer an option. 

That's odd...  Would you happen to know when that changed?  Thanks.

Last July I sent out a promotion trackable, and it, like most the last three years or so have "Not Collectible" as the default.

Before that it's always been, "The owner hasn't set their collectible preference", which seemed to make it not collectible...

6 hours ago, NLBokkie said:

Okay, old discussion on collectible vs non-collectible, but still (or again) very relevant. If you activate a trackable now, you have to choose between collectible and non-collectible immediately. So not making a choice as has been recommended here before is no longer an option. The guidelines seem to have the info needed at https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=41&pgid=250, but I had to search quite a bit to find that.

I activated a TB yesterday, and didn't see any difference.  Choose one or the other or neither with no issue, as always.  Maybe it was a temporary glitch.  Or do you mean it's become selectable, and not just a "This item is collectible" checkbox?

I tried it just now, and not only did I not need to choose, I didn't even need to pick a country or state (could have left those unset until I decided what to pick).

image.jpeg.b39e31a4a24b369d8727704e89dd6939.jpeg

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
On 4/27/2023 at 6:34 AM, NLBokkie said:

I just activated a trackable to test this out. I did not have to choose between Collectible and Non-Collectible.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.

1 hour ago, Indiangrass said:

what is "couching a log"?

The common term is "Armchair Logging".

That means making a questionable log, such as a Discover log from one's armchair at home, based on a Tracking Code seen online.  Some TBs are set up that way, but it's up to the Owner whether to allow that.

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
9 minutes ago, Indiangrass said:

Wow. This is a lot! I'm confused about some things but I'm getting some ideas about the things I've seen going on.  I read the link to trackables ( https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=42&pgid=148 ) and now I have to ask; what is "couching a log"?

Good question.  It'd be nice if we got warning when some new phrase is created...

"Couch" logging a geocache is logging when you weren't really there.  Faking it.

Maybe it has to do with the many numbers generators that show up time-to-time, dumping random codes and hoping one "sticks".

But we spot trackable codes in many areas, some on the TO's own trackable page (often a photo from another, but has been done by the TO too...).

When I spot a trackable code shown to all, I enter it Discovered with a "found in the gallery of your own trackable page" or similar note.

I don't care if the Discovered is removed later, not caring about stats myself... It was simply meant to help them out.  :)

If people don't want helpful info on where/what happened to their property, I'm fine with that too...

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2