What does collectible mean?

Bishopsgateschool

Sorry, but I didn't find an answer following the link. After all these years, I still have to ask... Collectible vs non-collectible?

I think I have to mark a new trackable "collectable" so I can put it in my "collection" so that it doesn't show up in my inventory all the time. Correct?

If I mark it as collectable, can't it be grabbed?

It's frustrating to me that I have to ask. I own lots of trackables. I have moved/discovered lots and lots of trackables, yet I still don't understand this. IMO, this indicates there is a problem that needs to be addressed... even if I am stupid which, I would venture to say, I am not.

• Upvote 3

I have the same question every time I register a new traveller.  I have seen the answer somewhere but never remember what it was - so I leave it unanswered to be sure that it will not do any harm. Would it cost cost too much to add the description of the word "collectible" near the question on that registration page?

• Helpful 1

The older Help Center was a lot more help.    Just trying to find the correct section to answer a question is a paininthecan.

We haven't met anyone who thought this collectible thing makes sense, saying that it now gives a person an excuse to steal your trackable,  but there must be somebody, somewhere, for it to be here....

This new Help Center says, Collectible

Any geocacher can move a collectible trackable to their Collection.

Trackables in your collection do not show in your inventory.

You can only Discover a trackable when it is in another geocacher’s collection.

- Yet right below it, it says,  "If you set a trackable status as collectible, another geocacher can grab it and move it into their own Collection".

The way I understood it was, if you want it to move it on cache-to-cache, mark it non-collectible.

If you're sticking a trackable number on your car or other item for others to Discover, mark it collectible.

55 minutes ago, arisoft said:

I have seen the answer somewhere but never remember what it was - so I leave it unanswered to be sure that it will not do any harm.

The other 2/3rds has "The owner hasn't set their collectible preference" on her 200+ coins as well (sitting in a rucksack for now).   :)

9 minutes ago, redwingrr said:

OK, thanks for your reply.

So, do your "other 2/3rds" coins show up in her inventory? I'm specifically interested in the drop down list from which you select trackables to drop or visit at a cache. Thanks.

They did in hers.  The reason she has her own account.  I sure as heck didn't wanta  scroll over that at each Found It.  :D

With this "new" log, you'd have to check the  "trackables" up/down arrow under your Found It log for them to do the same. 

I'm still opted out...

I have just discovered a trackable which I was confused about, and it is about this collectable/non-collectible.

This is the trackable   https://coord.info/TB8GYXQ

I found it in a cache, but I can only discover it, as it is collectible and in someone's "collection".    But not the owners collection, another cacher.   I've not come across this before.  The trackable is owned by cacher A, but in the collection of cacher B.

It seems the owner (cacher A) marked it "collectible", but sent it out into the wild.   A cacher - cacher B - found it, and for some reason moved it to their collection.   Then they physically dropped it in a cache.    Since then it has been travelling around.   But nobody can log anything other than "discovered", so it won't show up online as being in a cache or with the cacher who actually has it.  On the website it is in Cacher B's collection.

I'm assuming cacher B moved it to their collection by mistake; it makes no sense to move it into your collection then drop it in a cache.   I've asked them if they can move it out of their collection.

I also assume the owner has the ability to change the trackable to non-collectible, and if they do that, it will be removed from cacher B's collection and can be logged normally after that?

I'm not sure what the owner had in mind when they marked the trackable "collectible".    The description of the coin says "If you find this tag you can discover and move, drop in another cache, or keep it!".   Maybe they had in mind to allow it to be collectible so cachers could keep it if they wanted?  But it is confusing to show it in someone's collection when it is actually travelling.   

What I've learned here, is if I want one of my trackables to be collectable (for me), that I should move it to my collection before showing to anyone.    Otherwise, anyone I show the trackable to (who has the code) can move it to THEIR collection.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, redsox_mark said:

What I've learned here, is if I want one of my trackables to be collectable (for me), that I should move it to my collection before showing to anyone.    Otherwise, anyone I show the trackable to (who has the code) can move it to THEIR collection.

Yes, but that is only according to your whims, it is your property.  When you wish for it to be removed from their collection, ask and it is so.  There is no theft button.  If you want to give away your TB, either adopt it to the new owner, or don't activate it in the first place.  Collectible is not a way to lose TBs.  It's main purpose is to provide a way to manage a large coin number of owned activated coins.  And if you're real creative, you notice that it's a way to "lend" a coin to fill someone's set, even on the other side of the world.  All above-board, so that honest people can keep a public record of the status of theirs and other people's coins. 

The "Collectible" button is a switch that enables a TB to be moved to a Collection, as you notice, any Collection, therefore removing it from the active "Inventory" list.  It can be used in many ways, it's a catch-all.   A "Collection" in this case is a digital Inventory list that is not a cache and not a Geocacher.   But the worst idea is "Oooh, I wonder what this button does...?" **CLICK**

If you don't know what it does, do not mess with it.  That applies to many site features.  But especially with TBs that you place in a cache to be dropped cache-to-cache, NEVER mess with "Collectible" nor "Collections".

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, kunarion said:

If you don't know what it does, do not mess with it.  That applies to many site features.  But especially with TBs that you place in a cache to be dropped  cache-to-cache, NEVER mess with "Collectible" nor "Collections".

I agree.   And that is what seems to have happened here.    The owner made it collectible (and dropped it in a cache to travel).   Another cacher moved it to their collection.   I suspect neither understood what they were doing.

2 minutes ago, redsox_mark said:

I agree.   And that is what seems to have happened here.    The owner made it collectible (and dropped it in a cache to travel).   Another cacher moved it to their collection.   I suspect neither understood what they were doing.

You could log a Note when you discover it or move it.  In your Note, mention that you can't properly log it because it's "In A Collection".  Maybe the owner will eventually get the hint.  It's kind of non-standard, but it's not a big deal.  The main thing as a finder that you will miss is one more icon for the Trackable.  In the case of a TB, you already have that icon.

9 minutes ago, kunarion said:

You could log a Note when you discover it or move it.  In your Note, mention that you can't properly log it because it's "In A Collection".  Maybe the owner will eventually get the hint.  It's kind of non-standard, but it's not a big deal.  The main thing as a finder that you will miss is one more icon for the Trackable.  In the case of a TB, you already have that icon.

Yes, I've done that.   I've also sent a message to the cacher who has it in his collection.

This example is a geocoin and I don't have the icon, but I wasn't thinking about that.   I just felt odd dropping it in a cache or event and not being able to log that.    It seems wrong that it is showing in a cacher's collection when it isn't and I'd like to get it corrected.   But if the trackable owner doesn't care, I'm not losing sleep over it.

17 minutes ago, redsox_mark said:

I suspect neither understood what they were doing.

Recently a brand new Geocacher found a cache, and properly logged my TB found there... with a TB log about the cache find, and no log on the cache itself.  The person has no finds. :o

I guess for many people, there's kind of a learning curve. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
4 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Recently a brand new Geocacher found a cache, and properly logged my TB found there... with a TB log about the cache find, and no log on the cache itself.  The person has no finds. :o

I guess for many people, there's kind of a learning curve. :anicute:

In this case the trackable owner is very experienced (10+ years, 25,000+ finds).    The cacher who put the cache in his/her collection is also experienced (3 years, ~500 finds).  

I can't really speak for them as to what their intent was.     Going back to the OP of this thread, the impact of making a trackable "collectable" seems often not understood, even by experienced cachers.  

15 minutes ago, redsox_mark said:

Going back to the OP of this thread, the impact of making a trackable "collectable" seems often not understood, even by experienced cachers.  

Moun10Bike, the inventor of the Geocoin, sets no "Collectible" preference for his "Moun10Bike Geocoins".  Go and do likewise. :)

Edited by kunarion
2 hours ago, redsox_mark said:

I have just discovered a trackable which I was confused about, and it is about this collectable/non-collectible.

This is the trackable   https://coord.info/TB8GYXQ

I found it in a cache, but I can only discover it, as it is collectible and in someone's "collection".    But not the owners collection, another cacher.   I've not come across this before.  The trackable is owned by cacher A, but in the collection of cacher B.

It seems the owner (cacher A) marked it "collectible", but sent it out into the wild.   A cacher - cacher B - found it, and for some reason moved it to their collection.   Then they physically dropped it in a cache.    Since then it has been travelling around.   But nobody can log anything other than "discovered", so it won't show up online as being in a cache or with the cacher who actually has it.  On the website it is in Cacher B's collection.

I'm assuming cacher B moved it to their collection by mistake; it makes no sense to move it into your collection then drop it in a cache.   I've asked them if they can move it out of their collection.

I also assume the owner has the ability to change the trackable to non-collectible, and if they do that, it will be removed from cacher B's collection and can be logged normally after that?

I'm not sure what the owner had in mind when they marked the trackable "collectible".    The description of the coin says "If you find this tag you can discover and move, drop in another cache, or keep it!".   Maybe they had in mind to allow it to be collectible so cachers could keep it if they wanted?  But it is confusing to show it in someone's collection when it is actually travelling.   

Seems there is more to this than I understood.   I just got the following from "Cacher B" who moved it to their collection.    

It seems there are multiple coins with the same number.   And cachers can keep the coin, though only the first cacher to move it to their collection can actually move it to their collection.

What I received from the cacher with it in his collection:

Hmm, this is confusing. I got the coin when I attended an event in Portland, Maine on August 27th, and still have the coin here with me. I thought something was odd when I went to log a "retrieve" of the coin later that day and saw that it was still showing as being in the hands of the owner rather than in the location I'd retrieved it from. So I "grabbed" it from the owner. (You can see my log mentioning this if you scroll down to Aug 27th). In reading the description of the coin, I noticed the owner had written "If you find this tag you can discover and move, drop in another cache, or keep it!" So, I decided to keep it, since he/she said this was ok (and they listed it as "collectible"), and therefore I logged it as being in my collection.

Now, it's sounding like there are more than one coin with the same tracking number...?? Has anyone contacted the owner to confirm?

Sorry for the confusion. I can log it as being out of my collection if that helps. (But why would the owner tell people they could keep the coin if they can't "collect" it? They listed it as being "collectible" when they set up the online page for the coin. And why even have more than one coin with the same number in the first place? Strange). And if I take it out of my "collection" it's probably only a matter of time before someone else does the same thing I did....

I'm going to go ahead and post this comment on the coin's log page as well. Maybe the owner will chime-in and explain.

7 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

+1  -   Though I know #1 is.  :)          We set no preference, or make it not collectible.

One other important thing is, unless and until you are actively trying to get your TB added to a Collection (yours or anyone's), "Collectible" does not need to be set.  Only while you're intent on getting it there, and that's it.  Once it has been moved to a Collection, select "Not Collectible".

If you have a very particular plan, sure, set it up per the plan.  But it really looks like people just like to click buttons unless somebody forces them to cut it out (see the recent "one Find per cache" policy).  Maybe those people are accustomed to being smacked, have no personal guideposts and assume they are free to do anything that doesn't result in an instant smackdown.  That would explain a lot of what happens to Trackables. B)

Edited by kunarion
On 9/20/2017 at 7:54 AM, kunarion said:
On 9/20/2017 at 7:42 AM, redsox_mark said:

Going back to the OP of this thread, the impact of making a trackable "collectable" seems often not understood, even by experienced cachers.  

Moun10Bike, the inventor of the Geocoin, sets no "Collectible" preference for his "Moun10Bike Geocoins".  Go and do likewise. :)

Edited Wednesday at 07:58 AM by kunarion

Thank you for this informative discussion.  I'm relatively new to geocaching (less than a year) and confused about "Collections" - and what exactly it means.  It seems I am not alone, which makes me feel somewhat better!  I've picked up and moved a few trackables, several on a recent cross country trip, and have acquired 2 of my own (Mary Hyde, and a souvenir given to me by a local caching group I hooked up with in my travels), neither of which I've figured out what I'm going to do with just yet...

Thanks to this thread, I will keep it simple and not set any collectible preference!

I’m sorry to beat a dead horse here but I still don’t understand collectible vs non collectible.  Two part question: 

1) I have the large hidden creature coin and tag. I would like to release the tag, but not the coin. What do I mark the it as so it can be properly tracks on it’s milage journey and someone can’t ‘move it’ to their collection. (Is that like ‘stealing it’ or does that mean it just moves on to another cache :/ ) 

2) I also have a TB car decal (in my inventory it loaded as a dog tag but it’s not) how should I mark that? C VS NC? 

i know this has been asked 1,000 times, I read everything I could here before asking, searched google, the main website...I’ve read all the posted links in response to similar questions that lead to the help section on the GC website- and it made things worse for me. ?

Someone wrote ‘if your new don’t mess with the toggle buttons you don’t understand!’ That’s the only thing I agree with/understand. I am new but I’m really trying to read everything before I ask to take up someone’s time in the forums. 

I just want my car decal to be trackable by milage and how far it goes because I travel all over the US to photograph things. 

Again, thank you for anyone who responds :lostsignal::wacko: 

3.2. Trackable collections

Trackable owners can set the status of their trackable items as collectible or non-collectible.

Collectible

• Any geocacher can move a collectible trackable to their Collection.
  • Trackables in your collection do not show in your Inventory.
  • You can only Discover a trackable when it is in another geocacher’s collection.

Non-collectible

• Will be in the Inventory of a geocacher or geocache.
  • Non-collectable trackables are meant to travel from geocache to geocache.
  • Available log types are retrieve, drop, and grab.

I think that you should set your car as collectible to prevent anyone from grabbing it.

Edited by arisoft
  • Helpful 1
15 minutes ago, BigBlueDot said:

I’m sorry to beat a dead horse here but I still don’t understand collectible vs non collectible.  Two part question: 

1) I have the large hidden creature coin and tag. I would like to release the tag, but not the coin. What do I mark the it as so it can be properly tracks on it’s milage journey and someone can’t ‘move it’ to their collection. (Is that like ‘stealing it’ or does that mean it just moves on to another cache :/ ) 

2) I also have a TB car decal (in my inventory it loaded as a dog tag but it’s not) how should I mark that? C VS NC? 

i know this has been asked 1,000 times, I read everything I could here before asking, searched google, the main website...I’ve read all the posted links in response to similar questions that lead to the help section on the GC website- and it made things worse for me. ?

Someone wrote ‘if your new don’t mess with the toggle buttons you don’t understand!’ That’s the only thing I agree with/understand. I am new but I’m really trying to read everything before I ask to take up someone’s time in the forums. 

I just want my car decal to be trackable by milage and how far it goes because I travel all over the US to photograph things. 

Again, thank you for anyone who responds :lostsignal::wacko: 

"Collectible" is the first step to get a Trackable item added to a digital inventory place called "Collection", mostly so that it doesn't clutter an Inventory list.  It is done with publicly available logs, so all can see who owns it and whose "Collection" you allow it in.  It's all above-board and of course only for honest cachers.  They don't "steal it", your coin belongs to you regardless of any menu setting at all.  But you can logit into your Collection or the friend can place it into in theirs, all based upon your wishes alone.  Don't let anyone ever get away with the notion that they can steal and keep your coin simply because of a menu selection.  It belongs to you until you specifically give it away, in which case you make it clear that's the case.

Don't even mess with "Collectible" until you know what it means B).  That is, you understand the reasons for the feature, you're at the point where you need to use it, you have a specific plan for setting it up and using it.  Until then, you are not missing out on anything.  It addresses specific issues that most cachers can fix in simpler ways.  For example, if you want to give your coin away, Collectible is no good.  Instead, skip the extra steps, also don't activate it in the first place. Give it away.

For your "tag", don't mess with "Collectible".  Leave it unselected, or if you've already played with the setting, set it to "Not Collectible".

For a car decal and to have the most flexibility in logs, don't mess with "Collectible".  Same thing, leave it unchecked.

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
1 minute ago, arisoft said:

I think that you should set your car as collectible to prevent someone to grab it.

So collection items can not be taken and can only be discovered.

but non- collectibles meant to move around but can also be moved into someone else’s  collection?

Just now, BigBlueDot said:

but non- collectibles meant to move around but can also be moved into someone else’s  collection?

Only collectible can be put into collection.

You have now got two contradictory answers to your question about the car. Both seems to be logically right. :lol:

• Helpful 1
2 minutes ago, BigBlueDot said:

So collection items can not be taken and can only be discovered.

You're in luck!  Someone already answered your question: 

7 minutes ago, arisoft said:

You have now got two contradictory answers to your question about the car. Both seems to be logically right. :lol:

True.  If a cacher loves to click buttons, they can set a car TB to Collectible, add it to their Collection, and mess with that setting when they want to log it themselves.

OR they may leave it as is, Not Collectible, and they still get to click buttons!   So if someone mindlessly clicking buttons "Collects" your car, go click-happy and fix that.  In either case, it's a win-win! :D

Edited by kunarion
7 minutes ago, BigBlueDot said:

Thank you for the quick responses everyone! I would say GC is hard, but it’s certainly technical! 

You can leave it alone, do just what it takes to activate the coin, and you're good.

Look at the many threads around here where "I clicked this and clicked that and click-click-click wheee!, and now it's really messed up and what do I do?"  What you do is you don't do that in the first place. :)

3 hours ago, BigBlueDot said:

The only way your car decal will accumulate mileage is if you "take it to" ie "visit" it to caches.  

• Helpful 1
3 hours ago, arisoft said:

Only collectible can be put into collection.

I saw that...at least I’m not the only one who’s having trouble with this ?

You're not the only one by a long way! I can't help thinking that different terminology might make life a great deal easier, since 'collectable' and non-collectable' are pretty well meaningless.

Does anyone seriously put TBs out intending other people to keep them? Probably not, because they're not cheap.

Change the wording please, Groundspeak. Make it easier to understand for everyone.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Freima said:

Change the wording please, Groundspeak. Make it easier to understand for everyone.

Agreed.  But when I just entered "collectible vs. non collectible", the top is a blog from '11 that says, "“Collectible” may mean that the owner has decided to keep it in their personal collection or, if you find it in a cache, that they are okay with you keeping the item and placing it in your own collection".

- So that kinda makes  "confusion" for some a forever thing now.   ;)

Though the  Help Center still has, "If you set a trackable status as collectible, another geocacher can grab it and move it into their own Collection", it does have, "If you want the trackable to move, set the status to non-collectible" right behind it.

- That seems (to me) that they put the onus on the trackable Owner.   Just removing "collectible" (the problem) should be much easier on all.

A "better mistake" that really could have been straightened out years ago.   :)

• Upvote 2

There must have been a huge issue of people with a lotta activated owned Geocoins, parking the coins on cache pages to declutter their personal Inventory. It's the problem that “The Collection” was created to address. Then TPTB placed the inviting click buttons front-and-center for all, for a feature that only a few need.  At this point, let me again say, you are not missing out on anything.  Unless you're addressing a particular issue such as your large number of Geocoins that you keep in a binder and that for some reason you have activated, don't mess with Collectible at all.  If you find a Geocoin, it's not a treasure for you to steal, even if Collectible, Collected, whatever.  If there's confusion, first find out from the owner what the intentions are.

The feature can be used in various ways, such as preventing a car TB from being “grabbed”, but that's better addressed by grabbing it back. An actual Geocacher intent on messing with people is in no way thwarted by a menu selection. “Collectible” as we see is not the way to address the issue of stalkers.

Most of the problem is that Groundspeak selects unfortunate terms for things. Then they define the words with the same words. “Collectible means that you can collect it. Remember that you these are meant to travel, so don't collect them, unless you're putting them into your own collection.”

Worse, nobody from TPTB will correct misinformation.  It's entirely up to Geocachers to guess what the deal is. Unless it's a Groundspeak business plan, it's a recipe for disaster.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

At least I am not the only one confused. My understanding is that trackables are meant to keep moving, based on the instructions. However, I don't understand adding it to a "collection". Is this a physical collection? And, if so, how do you know this is acceptable-as this permanently would stop the thing from moving, right?

I have not found any trackables, which makes it more confusing. I would like to release one just to see what happens.

1. Do I have to buy a tag from this site to start?

2. Do I have to have a specific destination, or can I just see where it travels?

3. Why are you supposed to keep the identifying numbers a secret? 

Thanks!  

1 hour ago, BugLuv said:

2. Do I have to have a specific destination, or can I just see where it travels?

Some info you might need to know about trackables, from the Help Center.   ;)

1 -You can buy any trackable from this site or another.  Just be sure it's trackable on geocaching.com with a code .

2 -You not only don't need a destination, but you don't have to do anything with it at all (a collection).  Travel cache-to-cache the average goal.

3 - I'll give an easy example...  My other 2/3rds typed sheets with all her trackable codes for "friends".

They were going to copy them anyway, and this saved them the aggravation.  Ten years later, those codes are still flying around.  People who never saw them, but logging Discovered.

- She'd love to know who "shared" with others ...  Lesson learned.

The site says they frown on virtual "finds" on trackables, but it's really up to the Trackable Owner if they want it that way (it's theirs).

I sometimes "Discover" trackables when I see their code in a photo on the trackable's page, and make mention where I "saw" it. 

About 50/50 whether they notice my log and fix it.  :)

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, BugLuv said:

At least I am not the only one confused. My understanding is that trackables are meant to keep moving, based on the instructions. However, I don't understand adding it to a "collection". Is this a physical collection? And, if so, how do you know this is acceptable-as this permanently would stop the thing from moving, right?

I have not found any trackables, which makes it more confusing. I would like to release one just to see what happens.

Thanks!  

As cerberus1 said, you keep the tracking number secret because then only people who hold it themselves can log it.  This is not a super-secure plan, but that's the idea.  And so when you discover a cool new Geocoin and log it, you may get the rare icon of a cool coin added to your stats.  Only people who have the tracking number will get that icon.  And only they can legitimately claim to "Discover" it, because they can't log it without that tracking number.  Keep it a secret.

The "Collection" is a digital place to organize your trackable items (Geocoins and Travel Bugs).  It was designed for people who have a large number of Geocoins they bought and own and registered ("Activated"), yet are coins they keep at home and don't place into caches.  If you have a lot of coins like that in your Inventory, that list can become too long.  Every time you try to make a cache log, you have to go through your Inventory to see which coins you want to log at that time.  What if you don't want to place your coins into a cache? They are "Activated" (registered to you), but you don't intend that they travel.  Place them into your Collection, out of the way. The coins listed in your digital "Collection" are then all the coins you keep in a binder to show to friends.  The coins don't travel cache-to-cache.  But it's not permanent.  Whenever you like, you can move them from the Collection back into your Inventory, and then you can put them into a cache to travel.

AND you can lend your cool coin to a friend, who can then log it into to his Collection, maybe to complete a set.  Kind of like loaning something to a museum, it still belongs to you.  I any case, all the documentation is in order.  Everyone knows who has it and who owns it.  And whenever you want it returned, you get it back.

Most important, if you buy a cool Geocoin and you don't want to place it into a cache, you are not required to activate it.  Keep it and display it and enjoy it.  Maybe it will be valuable someday, and you can sell it "Like new, unactivated".  With that plan in mind, you don't have to mess with the "Collection" at all. But you still have to keep the tracking number secret. :)

• Upvote 1

Wow!  So much to learn. Thanks so much for taking time to answer my questions. Ah ehm...I have a couple more...

1. What is 2/3s?

2. What is a virtual find?

I have read the help sections more than once. The content is still settling in my brain. I think once I actually use one, it will make more sense. Plus, I just checked out this website-I had no idea that geocaching had another side besides running around in the woods. : ) This is really cool.

I started out orienteering with map and compass. For awhile, I was all curmudgeon about GPS...But, I drank the Kool-Aid....and here I am....

kool-aid-man.jpg

Kunarion,

I just checked your profile, and now, I have more questions!  The items you leave in caches---What do the serial numbers and other numbers lead to? Such as the zippers? (If you don't mind answering, or direct me to a page, if you have already answered). Thanks for fueling my addiction. ; )

34 minutes ago, BugLuv said:

1. What is 2/3s?

2. What is a virtual find?

Didn't say, but sounds like posted to me...

Most folks have an "other half" or "the better half".  A three-headed dog has a 2/3rds...

The Help Center says, "Virtual trackables with virtual logs are not encouraged. It is up to the trackable owner to state if they allow this".

A "virtual" find is simply spotting a trackable with the code visible while not physically present.

Google image "trackable codes" once  and you've made Virtual finds.

Edited by cerberus1
addification ;)
1 hour ago, BugLuv said:

Kunarion,

I just checked your profile, and now, I have more questions!  The items you leave in caches---What do the serial numbers and other numbers lead to? Such as the zippers? (If you don't mind answering, or direct me to a page, if you have already answered). Thanks for fueling my addiction. ; )

I put serial numbers on some of my signature items, and they are not trackable.  They're just for fun.  Trade for a low number (hint: I reserve the lowest numbers as special gifts).  They are numbered in a way that I hope is not confused with TB serial numbers (those are called "Tracking Numbers", officially registered and trackable on geocaching.com).  I do this because one day I showed a caching friend one of my "Cache Zippers", and she frowned and asked "What do I do with this?" as she handed it back to me.  I said, "Nothing, but it's got a serial number."  And she brightened up and said "OOH!  Gimme that!"  I don't know why that made a difference, but from then on, I have sig items with serial numbers. :)

And here's the rest of the story:

I invented "kunarion's Cache Zippers" which are thousands of styles of metal "zipper pulls", some pretty unique.  I then invented a serial numbering system that might be suitable for a thousand items, and a way to manufacture, print them, that I could do at home.  The reason I did all that was so that I could have maybe a thousand "trackable items" pretty much for free, and track them on sigitems.com (or whatever it was called), a free tracking site not associated with "geocaching.com".  With a cost of about $4 per Official Travel Bug, I'd save about $4000 on just the first run of a thousand sig items.  That seems like a deal to me. Once I had everything ready, since I couldn't "list" anything until I actually had them ready to go, I went to sigitems.com (or whatever it's called).  And it that site had closed about 3 years before.  The end. :blink:

So anyway, I have a lotta serialized items to place into caches.

Edited by kunarion

Thanks for the replies. That is really cool!  I have thought about occasionally putting something really cool in my new cache-just for fun. I love the idea of the zipper pull idea!

Also, from reading on the geocoin posts...It seems like there is a hobby of collecting coins & trackables (physical coins and virtual collections) outside of just geocaching and finding them? I think that is what is confusing me (one of the things!).  

Edited by BugLuv
Another question! ; )
2 hours ago, BugLuv said:

Also, from reading on the geocoin posts...It seems like there is a hobby of collecting coins & trackables (physical coins and virtual collections) outside of just geocaching and finding them? I think that is what is confusing me (one of the things!).  

Not confusing at all.  :)   Think of it as the millions of people who collect coins or stamps.

The other 2/3rds has around 280 activated  geocoins that she has no intention of placing in caches, after having a dozen or so turn up "missing".

She shares coin codes with others, and has traded a few (using the adoption function).

She also has around 100 unactivated as well.   She's traded some, and IIRC, the value is keeping those unactivated.

-  They're all part of her collection

I have a couple activated that I really don't do anything with these days.

I also have well-over 100 unactivated, that I now put in caches I really liked (usually a lengthy walk or high terrain) as an incentive for folks to "get off their cans" and walk too.   I prefer to give them away, than to have some cache maggot steal 'em. 

- It's not a collection.

• Helpful 1

I have trackables that I will never leave in a cache. I bought them because - Shiny!! - and I take them to events for other people to see and (if they want to) admire. They can take a note of the tracking reference ('number') and write a log to say they've seen (discovered) it at the event.

One day I'll get round to taking photographs of these trackables, and I'll laminate them with a readable copy of the tracking reference. The copies can then be released into a cache to travel far and wide, while I've still got the original safe and sound.

An example is a limited edition Geocoin that I have. People like to see it because it's limited edition, so I take it to events and let people look at it and note the reference code. It's very special to me, so it will never leave my possession. One day I'll photograph it and write the code more clearly (it's tiny), and I'll put the picture in a cache. Its mission will be to travel as far as possible, but the original was earned, so it will stay with me.
If I now tell you that its tracking code is TB1A2B3C (it isn't) you and everyone else can look up that code and claim to have seen it when you haven't. You don't get anything for that, but you might want to do it anyway... which will annoy me and could well annoy other people as well.
It would be like claiming to have found a cache when in fact you've been nowhere near it: it's 'not done' and is considered bad manners.

You're not alone in being confused about trackables. When you find one in a cache it will all become a lot clearer :)
Meanwhile the 'collectible' or not thing continues to cause endless confusion, especially for people who care about spelling and grammar (sigh).

Best advice? Go out and enjoy geocaching. When you actually come across a trackable things will be easier to understand.

• Helpful 1

Freima,

Thanks for the post. I am starting to understand!  I did find a trackable, and I am starting to understand the whole process and collecting, etc. 

I did not realize there are events, and people getting together in real time. That makes collectibles make much more sense. 

My family and best friend think I have lost my mind. I find this all fascinating, and it really fits my personality. I think it is the mix of exploring, secrecy, creativity and collecting....or something like that!  I was so excited when someone found my first cache. ha ha . I just received my tracking numbers travel bugs that I ordered, so will be releasing some into the wild.

Sigh... so much to learn, but I have time. : )

Edited by BugLuv
I used the wrong terminology
  • Upvote 1